PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered new Springs and struts

carfreak
04-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I just ordered H&R Sport Spring Set (lowered by 1.5) and KYB GR-2 Shocks and was wondering how good that setup would be. I currently have 15 inch rims too. Does anyone have 15 inch rims and have there car lowered 1.5 inches? Does it ride and look good?

Cyric_accord
04-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Well, Most likely within a year, you're going to blow out your struts since the KYB GR-2s are a strictly OEM replacement valved strut, not meant to handle lowering springs. You should've went with atleast Tokico's, or re-valved Bilsteins or Koni's if you could get your hands on em.

carfreak
04-05-2004, 01:31 PM
yeah, well i plan on getting better ones by then so i though i would at least buy newer struts for now...plus i didn't think lowering it 1.5 inches with H&R springs would affect the bounce that much...

Busted_Blue
04-05-2004, 05:50 PM
yeah, well i plan on getting better ones by then so i though i would at least buy newer struts for now...plus i didn't think lowering it 1.5 inches with H&R springs would affect the bounce that much...

i had gr2 on my car... then i switch to tokico and the ride was firmer.

Vinny
04-06-2004, 04:44 AM
why would you order struts that you knew wouldn't hold up? The only choice for new struts that are reasonably priced are going to be the tokico blues. A full set of Tokico's is 80 bucks more than a full set of KYB's at shox.com. Just curious.

SteveDX89
04-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Yeah, ordering stuff that won't hold up is pointless. You just threw your money away. It may not be much at one time but if you do that a lot, it adds up. Like was previously said, you should have at least gotten Tokico's. That would be a decent setup. To have a great setup, you need revalved Bilsteins or Konis.

SrvZro
04-06-2004, 08:32 AM
At this point. Koni's are very rare. I don't have great hookups so i had to search websites and local dealers around here. it was the same sad story, "no Konis on stock but we'll special order them". yeah, right. big fat goose eggs.

i just went and orded tokicos and neuspeeds from shox.com. for real handling, getting revlaved blistiens only way to go. Now putting them on is a diff story. They been sitting pretty in my garage for 2 weeks now. Haha

carfreak
04-06-2004, 09:21 AM
why would you order struts that you knew wouldn't hold up? The only choice for new struts that are reasonably priced are going to be the tokico blues. A full set of Tokico's is 80 bucks more than a full set of KYB's at shox.com. Just curious.

Well because i have had friends that had the same setup but with a diffrent car and they said they've had no problems with it so far (20,000 miles on them). They also said that it is slightly firmer then stock... Does anyone here have KYBs?

Jims 86LXI HB
04-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Well it would be a slightly firmer shock when compaired to what would certainly be a worn shock comming off the car. But when compaired to a brand new oem shock and a brand new GR-2 shock, they are valved the same, neither one is stiffer than the other.

Bloodlust
04-06-2004, 11:21 AM
I just ordered H&R Sport Spring Set (lowered by 1.5) and KYB GR-2 Shocks and was wondering how good that setup would be. I currently have 15 inch rims too. Does anyone have 15 inch rims and have there car lowered 1.5 inches? Does it ride and look good?

Not to bash on you anymore, but it probably would have been a good idea to ask this question prior to buying them. I dont recommend this setup at all. If you want a good setup, get ur hands on Konis or revlaved bilsteins. H&R was a good choice tho.

carfreak
04-06-2004, 11:28 AM
well i had some opinions from some people who actualy had the setup and so thats why i bought them. I just posted my question on 3geez to see if anyone else has done this. Well anyway when i get new struts next time they will be konis :thumbup:

SteveDX89
04-06-2004, 12:06 PM
well i had some opinions from some people who actualy had the setup and so thats why i bought them. I just posted my question on 3geez to see if anyone else has done this. Well anyway when i get new struts next time they will be konis :thumbup:

If you can find them. That ship has sailed. The bastards.

Busted_Blue
04-06-2004, 12:16 PM
If you can find them. That ship has sailed. The bastards.

But exactly how many people actually bought the konis when they were available? Not many. Probably the reason why they stopped production was because lack of sales.

-carfreak- I think that you should've asked around here before you bought them. I also noticed that a lot of people use stock struts with springs/coilovers and it is comfortable on integras and civics possibly even accords too. I'm not sure why the ride is comfortable but just to let you know GR2 on the Accord with stiff springs has a nasty ride. Even with stock springs, the GR2 doesnt feel any stiffer than the stock ride. I used to have koni specials on stock springs and the car was stiff but still comfortable. Now I have a Tokico spring/strut combo and I think it feels good. Sadly, i notice there is a small bounce in the front even at 1inch drop.Tokico Blues are not too much stiffer but..its a lot cheaper than the bilstiens revalved. To get a GOOD ride with small bounce, tokico blues but to get the perfect ride, you need to have revalved bilstiens. Sadly, you chose GR2.

I hope you just don't install them and either attempt to get rid of them by sellling them and get tokicos or bilstiens.