PDA

View Full Version : PCV valve and oil problem

88accordhb
04-05-2004, 04:35 PM
ok so here goes. i don't know much bout cars. like a week ago i noticed when backing out my drive way that i had a little bit of oil on the pavement. i took it to the asshole mechanic near my house. and today i got it back. he said it was my pcv valve that was causing the oil to run because the old one was cloged, he gave me the old one and it looked cloged. the valve is the little weird shaped cylinder things rite bout 1 inch? anyways he says that old cloged ones tends to "destroy" seals, like the gasket for the oilpan and stuff. so he says he replaced the old one, dude it's like 5 dollars but he charged me 25 for service. wat a dingleberry. sooo i just wanted you guys' opinion. could this be true that the pcv valve cause oil leaks? like i have oil all over under the oilpan. but now it it's clean under there. i just hope it doesn't leak anymore. he says if it does, then it's the gaskets. now i'm kinda afraid to do the cai for carb. cus you have to hook up the pcv to the intake and all.

shepherd79
04-05-2004, 04:46 PM
don't worry about that. most likely he just tighten some clamps and changed the valve just to make sure to show you he did the job.

88accordhb
04-05-2004, 04:52 PM
well yah he changed the valve and tightened stuff, but like i was wondering if the PCV can affect the oil that it can cause leaks on the gasket and stuff. i just don't understand wat it does and how it can do this kind of damage

oh btw sheperd i don't have anymoney for the airbox. sry man, well i feel sorry for myself. damn! i'm broke :sad2:

shepherd79
04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
i don't think that cloged up PCV valve can do any damage to seals.

oh and don't worry about it. i will find some one who wants it.

'A20A3'
04-05-2004, 06:14 PM
A clogged PCV valve can cause an oil leak. The PCV valve relieves pressure that builds up in the crankcase, due to small amounts of air that slip past the piston rings. Hence the name, Positive Crankcase Ventilation. If too much pressure builds up, it forces oil out through the oil pan gasket. The PCV valve routes the excess pressure back up into the intake manifold so the vapors can be reburned. If your valve was clogged, there's a good posibility that your oil pan gasket is already shot.

88accordhb
04-05-2004, 10:25 PM
wow! now it all makes sense. so if it continues i'll check my oil pan seal. thanx sooo soo much a20a3, you rock!

'A20A3'
04-06-2004, 02:03 PM
No problem. Glad I could help.:thumbup:

I had the same problem with mine, and that oil pan gasket is a bitch, believe me. I was losing about a quart every week almost. Once I got the gasket done, no more leak. I'm pretty sure I still have a tiny one, the distributor O-ring. But it's nothing like the oil pan gasket was. I've been checking my oil every other day, and no decrease in the level, so I'm taking it as a very minor leak.

Good luck with your gaskets.

88accordhb
04-06-2004, 02:12 PM
ha i got my distributor o-ring and put it on, was a snap, took bout 4 secs. but the o-ring from honda is a bitch, imagine...$4 dollars for a small ruberband! i know it can withstand heat and all, but thats just rediculous, prolly cost 4cents to make em'

Tecknixia
04-07-2004, 12:54 AM
I think my car has an oil pan gasket leak... the oil pan is coated with oil. I guess I better check my PCV filter.

Hmm, so I guess it's possible that if oil is leaking past the valve guide seals, it can mess up your spark plugs, dirty up the PCV filter, blow the oil pan gasket and other oil seals, then the oil will deteriorate other hoses (power steering leaks, blown radiator hose, etc.) I think that's what's happened with my car. That's a lot of damage for one simple problem.

contraband
04-07-2004, 07:04 PM
ha i got my distributor o-ring and put it on, was a snap, took bout 4 secs. but the o-ring from honda is a bitch, imagine...$4 dollars for a small ruberband! i know it can withstand heat and all, but thats just rediculous, prolly cost 4cents to make em'

Honda is terrible with parts. If you were to do a full rebuild with only Honda parts you would expect to pay around $600, if not more. And thats just for gaskets and bearings. Add rings and an oil pump and its about $800. Yup thats $17 per bearing half. Look at a domestic with $3 per half. Honda sucks. As for the PCV system Id just stick a breather down there, aside from emissions there really is no point to it returning.

Tecknixia
04-07-2004, 09:05 PM
It's $1.20 at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com