PDA

View Full Version : weber air filter

dub88acc
04-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Besides cleaning the weber air filter, is there any other air filter that will fit on the weber 32/36 carb?

A20A1
04-05-2004, 06:14 PM
do you want to buy the adapter and run a cold air intake?
Other then that there are no replacements... not like the paper kind. At least not in stock in auto stores.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Do you want something like these?

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_109_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_33_full.jpg

I have the first pic on my car now and goldadition has my old intake setup. I'm the only member on this site to have ever had a remote air cleaner on their weber let alone 2 air intakes :cool2:

-Mike

eightyfivelude
04-06-2004, 09:40 PM
no offence but the dual setup is a little overkill and a waste of time and money don't you think? The carb couldn't suck enough air to justify that

Matt

Mike's89AccordLX
04-07-2004, 05:15 AM
If I thought that then I wouldn't have done it. Haven't you ever heard the more the merrier? And no offense but do you know off hand how much cfm the Weber that I have can suck in?

eightyfivelude
04-07-2004, 10:49 AM
not gonna lie and be a jackass but no I dont. I run dual DCOE's on my motor and I have half the amount of filter area as the one setup. Your setup does look sweet though. I could understand running dual cones on a six cylinder or something with dual intakes I jsut didn't see the need, that was all. As a random guess i'm gonna say that your weber would flow something like 255cfm. I really have no idea

Matt

Mike's89AccordLX
04-07-2004, 11:48 AM
The most important part of an intake is the filter. The more area or filter space the better. Most people will put those little socks or little filters on their carbs but that really is crap. The more air the better, my instructor told us to buy the biggest airfilter that we could possibly fit in the engine compartment. The car will run better with a big one than a tiny one. So this is why I don't think its overkill. I'm just allowing more air to be sucked into the carb. I can't increase the max cfm of my carb by adding more filters or a bigger one, but I can get the most out of the carb by allowing it to have all the possible air it needs.

-Mike

eightyfivelude
04-07-2004, 12:29 PM
that is definately a legitimate explanation. I guess I was just stuck at yes you have too much air filter than your carb really needs. No it is not a bad thing though. You just are allowing there to be an excess of air so therefore the carb will never run short :cool: goodstuff

Matt

A20A1
04-07-2004, 12:37 PM
325 cfm if I remember correctly

and the 38 was like 350 cfm

2oodoor
11-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Besides cleaning the weber air filter, is there any other air filter that will fit on the weber 32/36 carb?
old post but you can get a taller cleaner assy that will flow much better than that short one that comes wiht the kit, they make them for dirt track cars and bugs. you can fit one about an inch or so taller.
you prob. already resolved the issue, I was just searching for weber advice. my car is running great now, trans shifts great. but it has a lean out at speed good up until then..

lostforawhile
11-04-2006, 06:34 PM
had to add something,a smaller filter may meet the carbs needs,but it also gets dirty a lot quicker,I'm running a six by 4 inch round filter and it has to be replaced all the time for about ten bucks a pop. it pulls air in from the top in the scoop and also all the way around the filter. the orange hose is my heat valve hose for when it's cold http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p1da8c2f90a353f076c294bc423f3dfa4/ec32b4dc.jpg

2oodoor
11-05-2006, 07:44 AM
had to add something,a smaller filter may meet the carbs needs,but it also gets dirty a lot quicker,I'm running a six by 4 inch round filter and it has to be replaced all the time for about ten bucks a pop. it pulls air in from the top in the scoop and also all the way around the filter. the orange hose is my heat valve hose for when it's cold http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p1da8c2f90a353f076c294bc423f3dfa4/ec32b4dc.jpg
I need to get my dig cam out an start posting pics, another procrastinatoin, imagestation, I will lookinto it, obviouley flickr is not cutting it and everytime I mention it to spouse it starts a tiff, I think its best just to never speak.
Anyhow I was recommending a taller larger filter for the previous post, the one on the weber kit is like four by six and about 1.5 inches tall. not much flow esp when 40 percent or so starts to get dirty. It changes the whole tune setup on a weber. It has been fun studying how these things should be tuned. My exhaust is still coming from under the car, header with the smithys, and a eight inch turn down, so at speed like cruising,I hear what sound like crossfire or lean out, the engine speed is not fast enough for it to be floating valves or anything. I prob should readjust the valves now that its broke in come to think of it.
You do know some of these filters can be washed out, various ways, diswasher if it aint black and greasy, hand washed and microwaved or air dry if it metal housed. also you can clean them with tuff stuff that foaming cleaner and use one of those lite bristle dashboard brushes they sell and kinda dab it clean when you use the foaming cleaner,.. now if its paper or fiber, forget it, look up where you can buy it by the case. Lostforawhile your motor mod brakets, the purple ones look remarkebly like my own set up, but I have not painted mine yet,I had to make several brakets to make the carb conversion linkage work and look oem neat. I was deciding to have them powder coated or just buy some wild paint color that goes with the mopar blue valve cover.

lostforawhile
11-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I need to get my dig cam out an start posting pics, another procrastinatoin, imagestation, I will lookinto it, obviouley flickr is not cutting it and everytime I mention it to spouse it starts a tiff, I think its best just to never speak.
Anyhow I was recommending a taller larger filter for the previous post, the one on the weber kit is like four by six and about 1.5 inches tall. not much flow esp when 40 percent or so starts to get dirty. It changes the whole tune setup on a weber. It has been fun studying how these things should be tuned. My exhaust is still coming from under the car, header with the smithys, and a eight inch turn down, so at speed like cruising,I hear what sound like crossfire or lean out, the engine speed is not fast enough for it to be floating valves or anything. I prob should readjust the valves now that its broke in come to think of it.
You do know some of these filters can be washed out, various ways, diswasher if it aint black and greasy, hand washed and microwaved or air dry if it metal housed. also you can clean them with tuff stuff that foaming cleaner and use one of those lite bristle dashboard brushes they sell and kinda dab it clean when you use the foaming cleaner,.. now if its paper or fiber, forget it, look up where you can buy it by the case. Lostforawhile your motor mod brakets, the purple ones look remarkebly like my own set up, but I have not painted mine yet,I had to make several brakets to make the carb conversion linkage work and look oem neat. I was deciding to have them powder coated or just buy some wild paint color that goes with the mopar blue valve cover.the paint on my brackets is the duplicolr anodize paint,it's designed to go over polished aluminum or there is a base available,it holds up extremly well underhood,but the only problem is you have to be very careful or it will chip. I have to redo some of the older stuff due to chips.