PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Honda auto fluid?

Tecknixia
04-06-2004, 11:08 AM
I've looked at the regular AutoZone and places like that, but can't find any fluid especially for Hondas. So where can I find it, thanks...

Vinny
04-06-2004, 11:31 AM
As far as what type of fluid? Almost every parts store I've been in sells "Honda compatable" powersteering fluid. This includes Walmart, autozone, advance auto, pepboys, chief autoparts, O'reillys and on and on. For actual "honda" Brand fluids you have to go to a Honda dealership

Tecknixia
04-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks, so would the honda compatible be the Dexron III?

Vinny
04-06-2004, 11:42 AM
When in doubt check your owners manual, it should list suitable fluids. Dexron III is the latest and greatest multi-use tranny fluid. Its compatable with not only dexron II uses but type F as well (ford stuff) and Mercon. According to penzoil;s site you can use it in Honda tranny's. I'd check the owners manual or call someone to make sure. Only Honda's I've ever owned are 5 speeds

HostileJava
04-06-2004, 11:58 AM
When in doubt check your owners manual, it should list suitable fluids. Dexron III is the latest and greatest multi-use tranny fluid. Its compatable with not only dexron II uses but type F as well (ford stuff) and Mercon. According to penzoil;s site you can use it in Honda tranny's. I'd check the owners manual or call someone to make sure. Only Honda's I've ever owned are 5 speeds

To be quite honest with you if your worried about using genuine honda fluid then you should just buy it from the dealer and be done with it.

Tecknixia
04-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the replies, I found some at walmart that specifically said "Honda" and something about Dexron II (which I hear is the same as honda atf).

Hopefully this will help my tranny run smoother. I think it's about to go out though... 212,000 miles on it.

customandsound
04-06-2004, 07:07 PM
i put straight tranny fluid in all my cars power steering and i never had any problems at all

Tecknixia
04-07-2004, 12:42 AM
I know there was someone who mentioned that there's a difference in the properties between Dexron II and Dextron III and that II is better for honda auto transmissions then III is. I've seen them both, I've smelled them both, not that it makes a difference, but I'm pretty sure they are pretty much the same thing. On my dipstick it says "Honda ATF" then "Dextron" with no "I's" so I'm pretty sure that either one will have the same effect on these transmissions. I'm not an expert though.

customandsound, that's interesting, why did you do that? If it's ok, I wonder why they don't just use tranny fluid for power steering systems...?

BITESIZE
04-07-2004, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't mess around with anything besides HONDA ATF!

Vinny
04-07-2004, 04:13 AM
i put straight tranny fluid in all my cars power steering and i never had any problems at all

Anything but honda certified power steering fluid will eventually eat away at the seals/orings in the power steering rack. Bad bad thing. Do NOT use ATF in a honda PS system. In a GM product yes its fine but not in a honda