PDA

View Full Version : another pcv question...

racerx
04-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Ok, well, I installed my CAI a long time ago, and when I did, i disconnected the PCV valve just to take a look and educate myself.
Well, it was really clogged and all, so I just left it out.
I've been driving my car for a while now, and no big problems or anything, so I'm wondering if it's better to let the the crankcase breathe on its own, or should I at least let it breathe into the atmosphere through a new PCV valve?
oh, and i capped the part that goes into the intake as well, so no one worry about that.
thanks.

'A20A3'
04-06-2004, 02:29 PM
The engine doesn't breathe directly into the environment with the PCV valve installed either. It simply reroutes the gases back into the intake manifold to be reburned.

I'm not sure whether or not having it installed will affect anything, other than bad emissions into the atmosphere.

Silver86LX
04-06-2004, 04:25 PM
I didn't think a car could run without a PCV valve.

racerx
04-06-2004, 04:29 PM
well, here's the deal.
if you look at the crankcase where the tube comes out, it leads to the bottom of the PCV which sits in a nice hole in the intake manifold.
that hose has been disconnected from the bottom side, meaning it is breathing straight into the atmosphere, not even into the PCV.
will this hurt performance or anything? is some pressure good?

and, silver86lx, you'd be amazed what a car could run without... heh heh, my dad and I started the engine to his 1972 Triumph GT6 on the engine stand while we were waiting for the body to come back with its union jack paint job... it was cool!

'A20A3'
04-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Having no PCV valve won't cause pressure to build up. As long as there is a release for that pressure, even if it's into the atmosphere, you shouldn't have a problem. It just makes it so your car won't pass emissions. Older muscle cars usually vented their crankcase pressure into the atmosphere as well, the PCV valve was implemented in order to make cars more earth friendly. Just make sure no foreign debris make their way down into your engine and you should be good.

racerx
04-06-2004, 09:23 PM
ok, thanks alot man! good to know. it's been worrying me for some time now...