PDA

View Full Version : lowered car.. front end banging..

wikkedv15
04-06-2004, 05:33 PM
well i lowered my car on lowboyz coilover sleeves.. the drop is fine.. 2 fingers up front and 1 finger out rear..how i have it currently.. my question is.. was i suppost to remove the dust caps up front?? or is my problem something else??
whenever i go over a manhole over 30mph i got a banging sound from whichever front tire goes over it.. im assuming thats just how stiff these coilovers are but could it be something else?? :sadwave:

doesnt bother me actually.. cause im careful in driving so i dont drive wreckless or anything.. but when i do go over potholes or of the like.. i get a banging sound..

any help would be appreciated..

c-los

SteveDX89
04-06-2004, 06:05 PM
I think what's going on is your suspension is bottoming out. If you go too low, you lose a lot of travel so you smack the bump stops all the time. My car only does it in the back whenever I hit a really nasty bump or I'm going to fast over one. You can try cutting the bumpstops and see if that helps.

Busted_Blue
04-06-2004, 06:12 PM
is there a lowboys full coilover setup? Seems like other threads have mention the full setup and not just the sleeves. If you are using it with just the sleeves, what struts are you using. Hopefully it isn't stock or GR2s.

NotFast
04-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Got any pics?

Edit: nevermind i saw them on another thread.

wikkedv15
04-07-2004, 10:16 AM
hahah yeh man stock struts.. how shocking that is!
ride quality isnt bad like i mentioned in the other thread..
so i guess imma start chopping away at the bump stops.. lol

SteveDX89
04-07-2004, 10:22 AM
If you're running on stock struts, you have a serious problem. They can't handle the stiffness of lowering springs let alone coilovers. Replace those before you start hacking away at the bumpstops. My car is 2 fingers up front and 1 in back and I only have a small bit of banging like I previously posted.

wikkedv15
04-07-2004, 10:35 AM
yeh i know lol the car isnt being driven much anyway.. not till the summer.. and they are planned to be replaced with something stiffer.. or just buying the lowboyz full bodied coilovers..

Busted_Blue
04-07-2004, 02:29 PM
buying the full set is the best idea as the dampening is probably valved for the spring rates so it's perfect.

Kevin
04-19-2004, 08:45 AM
I have stock struts with dropzone coilovers and are fine!! Its tight but really springy!! Then again being in florida there are not many potholes!! What are you saying when you have two fingers in the front and one in the back?? Is that the spaceing you have?? I am tucking the Si rims- the fender is just over the first 1/2 inch or so of the sidewall!!

SteveDX89
04-19-2004, 09:00 AM
I have stock struts with dropzone coilovers and are fine!! Its tight but really springy!! Then again being in florida there are not many potholes!! What are you saying when you have two fingers in the front and one in the back?? Is that the spaceing you have?? I am tucking the Si rims- the fender is just over the first 1/2 inch or so of the sidewall!!

LMAO. Until you're struts blow in a few months.

Kevin
04-19-2004, 09:08 AM
I replaced them when i got my coilovers and that was last june and they are fine!! The area around is flat!!

Busted_Blue
04-19-2004, 09:49 AM
I replaced them when i got my coilovers and that was last june and they are fine!! The area around is flat!!

Do you have pics of your car? I'm wondering how 99 Si rims look on our cars.

Morpheus
04-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Why do you want it so low?

Kevin
04-20-2004, 06:56 AM
I will send out some pics with the si wheels-they look sweet!! Everyone i know says they make the car look so good!!! It looks really good low and i just like it low!! :)