PDA

View Full Version : VTEC head on a B20A

Chadroper
04-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Since its not possible yet to put a vtec head on an A series engine is it possible to do it with the B20A?

Cyric_accord
04-06-2004, 06:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing, since so many of hte B series heads and blocks can be interchanged like the LS/VTEC swaps. This way you get the torque of the B20 and the added bonus of VTEC if you really wanted

Chadroper
04-06-2004, 06:40 PM
I wonder if the B16A3 head might fit? Its readily available and there are tons of aftermarket parts.

NXRacer
04-06-2004, 07:21 PM
you guys REALLY need to search! Its been tried before. It takes a LOT of work to make it fit and with so much work, its not worth it. You wont get the power. Just swap in a full b16/18 and go if you really want a VTEC motor. Or better yet, screw the over rated vcrap and go forced induction or something.

Chadroper
04-06-2004, 07:31 PM
but the problem is narrow power band.

NXRacer
04-06-2004, 07:33 PM
narrow power band? just because it doesnt rev out to 9000 RPMs? A turbo a20 will make more power faster so it works out all the same. The only reason they make b-series motors rev way the fuck out is because they have to to make their power.

Cyric_accord
04-06-2004, 08:04 PM
you guys REALLY need to search! Its been tried before. It takes a LOT of work to make it fit and with so much work, its not worth it. You wont get the power. Just swap in a full b16/18 and go if you really want a VTEC motor. Or better yet, screw the over rated vcrap and go forced induction or something.

I was just curious, I don't plan a B-series swap at all... was just trying to give a suggestion

Nuffice
04-06-2004, 08:46 PM
JDM B20a has a stroke of 95.. adding vtec to that is bad combo.. It will make power, but for how long?

Civvy
04-11-2004, 11:29 AM
What about if we used R rods and pistons, polished crank etc,etc would they make a CRV 20L VTEC?

RobT5580
04-11-2004, 06:20 PM
I put a B18A1 head on my other b20a and it did fit but looking at it again today it would take a lot of machine work to get this to work and i dont think it would be worth the effort. So as for turning a b20a into a vtec i would say its not gonna happen unless you have some extra money and a good machine shop willing to do it.

Civvy
10-25-2004, 04:40 PM
http://www.ilovespoon.com/SpoonSportsIntegra.html

Block Brace

Here's what i've been looking for all this time!!!
This is what Jakan.co.uk have customed and used to convert their B20B to Vtec and they sware it will be fine on our engines! They've seen my block and garuntee they can build us a 'reliable' B20a1 VTEC engine that is free to rev like a vtec using this product. The largest problem with the frankenstine B20a1 engine was broken caps and sheared cap bolts...it was caused due to the bad R/S ratio...this solves that issue.
Scroll down lots and u'll come across it.
However, it's more money than i've got, and i would wish to spend it on a 'K' series instead if i ever got that serious about vtec.

RobT5580
10-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Im sure it can be done but iv compared heads and it will take a lot of machine work to do it nevermind the amount of custom parts to do it. I dont think this would be cost effective when you could build a B18 or whatever you wanted and put a lot of bolt ons and still have some cash left over. Id rather have to make custom mounts than to try to turn the b20a into a vtec.

Or even build a nice turbo setup and you will still probably be better off unless you have a connection on the machine work. Just to build a standard engine your talking 1000-3000 us easily depending on the shop and what you have done so i dont see this beeing cheap.

shepherd79
10-26-2004, 04:11 AM
if you even fit Vtec head on B20A block, you still have to consider upgrading the bottom end, since it wasn't design to hold 8000rpm. that is why LS/Vtec motors break a lot if they are not build properly.

carotman
10-30-2004, 11:22 AM
The 95mm stroke isn't really a problem for Vtec. Vtec is basicaly a 2 set of cams that are engaged to a certain point. If you get the cams built accordingly to your engine, it will be ok. The F23A has a 97mm stroke so....

Civvy
11-01-2004, 05:24 AM
I, but as Spoon sports said every B' series has a problem with vibration and frankensteins have failed mostly in the Bearing area's including the cap bolts shearing so that would be where the stroke is/was the problem?