PDA

View Full Version : just bought sei rear suspension

Rich87HB
04-06-2004, 06:52 PM
well i went to the junk yard today and to my amazment they had and 89 sei!!
so i was totally stoked and bought the whole rear end suspension assembly, subframe and all for $200 bucks. Does this sound about right?? its all in pretty decent shape although it going to take some work and money to get it lookin new again, i think it will be a long project to get rear disc on my hatch for i really dont have the money right now for it. It was an impulse buy, se-i are hard to come by around here so i thought i would just buy it know work on it later, much later. I was just wondering if the price i got all this stuff for sounds about right to everyone?? Also what excactly am i going to need to convert my 1987 front brakes to 88-89 front brakes?? thanks for your help
latz

lightbulblxi
04-06-2004, 07:21 PM
that sounds good to me, i paid 300 for the rear arms, brakes, and proportioning valve. did u get the proportioning valve from the sei? ull need that.

Busted_Blue
04-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Hmm, what exactly is needed for the rear disc, I think i may have got a donor for my car but being rather new to this, i'm a little confused on it. There is the whole control arm practically, then the trailing arm. the prop valve...do i need since i have an 89 lxi? I know there is need for ebrake cables but the SEI i'm looking is a coupe. Can anyone give me a list of exactly what i need. I look at the how-to and stuff, but it's rather vague and pictures usually help me :D

Justin86
04-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Damn I just got an Se-i parts car for $300. It's been sitting for about 8 months but I'm finally doing the brake swap.

grsmnky33
04-07-2004, 10:44 PM
sounds like a pretty good deal....... got my se-i rear disc setup the other day for $125..... now i just have to get the brake cables to complete the install

lightbulblxi
04-11-2004, 01:14 PM
here is what u need.
rear contol arms/ knuckles with disc assembly
ebrake cables
proportioning valve
if u have a dx or lx:
master cylinder
front rotors

wprocomp
04-11-2004, 06:53 PM
ok to save you some time pulling off the proportioning valve,you dont need it,it does not make a diff....I went through all the trouble of finding one after I did my install and it was usless,same thing with the ebrake...you dont need them,just use the old ones

Rich87HB
04-11-2004, 07:28 PM
cool, but since i have 87 iam going to need to update the front brakes to 88-89 right?? does the mast cylinder still need to be swapped for 88-89 one??

lightbulblxi
04-11-2004, 09:52 PM
yea, u still need the master cylinder

lightbulblxi
04-11-2004, 09:54 PM
hey wprocomp, are u sure about that? i heard it has different poportioning then the one for the drums.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
04-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Like this http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/486000-486999/486873_44_full.jpg :lock:

shepherd79
04-12-2004, 03:33 AM
the proportion valve is diff. plus if you have 88-89 EFI you don't need new master sylinder.

the Ebrake from coupe may not fit 4 door sedan.

wprocomp
04-12-2004, 06:39 AM
I am not real sure about the ebrake diff on the coupe/hatch since I have never had one...but I am not going to start up a big arguement about the valve but it dosent matter,it may have diff part# but there is no diff,,I drove the car for 8-9months with a 86DX valve no less and it stopped fine,I took everyones advice and found a valve put it on expecting better rear pulse and it didnt do squat.

carotman
04-13-2004, 07:54 AM
The master cyl isn't really needed. When I swaped the rear discs, I took the SE-i master cyl and it would not hold pressure after like 1 day of driving, I guess the bleeding process killed it. The pedal will go farther to the floor (max 1 inch) since the LX master is smaller but it doesn't affect the braking power at all. I can lock up my wheels at 60 mph no problem.

Busted_Blue
04-17-2004, 12:00 PM
I just bought the whole Sei Rear suspension including trailing arm. i was lazy. There was an Sei I got the cupholders from two weeks ago and it was still there yesterday! I took the whole rear with the trailing arm and the whole upper control arm. what i didnt get was ebrake cables since it was a coupe. The car had 180k on it and I don't know exactly what to do now. It was like rich an impulse buy.

This project wont be started for awhile, but any ideas what I should do. I have no freaking clue on brakes.. =X From my guess, I should rebuild the calipers (not sure how to) and get new rotors, sedan ebrake cables and probably sand the whole thing to remove rust and repaint it. Sound good?

prozacposterboy
04-24-2004, 07:34 AM
busted:

If youre going through all the other hassle.. I'd find yourself (or rebuild your own) calipers.. shoudlnt be hard.. I assume Paul's book has an exploded view of it... in fact.. if you buy a rebuild kit it should have an exploded view... it should only be a couple springs, some libricant and a couple seals... probably take a couple hours, start to finish for a novice... if you can build a model car... you can do the calipers.

Autozone Prices as of 25-April:

Rebuilt calipers, rear $66.99 each (Lifetime waranty)
Rear brake hose, disc brakes $21.99 Part # 77701
Rear Rotor $16.99 Part #3258 (1 year waranty)
Rear wheel bearing Timken $64.99 Part # 513033 (1 year waranty)
rear brake shoes Albany $19.99 Part# D364 (lifetime waranty)

Autozone does not stock rebuild kits for rear calipers.. gotta search around

What I would do (what Im going to do, pulling hubs on monday, found two se-i cars)

Pull your parts.. dront forget the ebrake cable.. and if you have the possablities to snag the proportioning valve just in case, i've seen mixed reviews whether you need it or not..

for the price of the rotors.. I'd buy new ones.. a machine shop wants just as much to resurface... take your hubs to a machine shop and have new wheel bearings pressed in. He'll hottank your parts and they'll come out with most of the factory powdercoat in place...

It cost me ab out $60 in labor to have a new wheel bearing pressed in, with balljoints and resurface the rotor... for the front.. each side...

It'd suck to go through ALL of that hassle and to only have a wheel bearing go out on you a couple weeks later... do it all at once.. it'll cost more initially.. but I think in the long run it'll save you hassle, money and downtime of your car...

Hope any of this helps...

P.

prozacposterboy
04-24-2004, 07:36 AM
with 180,000 on those hubs... Id definately have new wheel bearings pressed in...

Busted_Blue
04-27-2004, 11:53 PM
thanks for the insight, giving a price makes me feel a little better on spendy the money on the setup. I might get brembo blanks for the rear and get the caliper rebuilt and new bearing i can probably press it in myself, uncle has a bearing presser thing watever it is called.

other option... sell the parts.

Justin86
04-28-2004, 09:25 PM
well I'm rebuild my Se-i calipers right now and the fronts are pretty easy but the rear take an act of god. I was able to get one piston out but the other is still in there. :sadwave:

Busted_Blue
05-20-2004, 06:15 PM
well,

what exactly is needed for the rear disc brake conversion.

It seems I am missing brake line (anyone got a picture of it?) and Ebrake Cables. As far as i know the brake line consist of metal part and a rubber part if this is so, i dont have the metal one...i only took off the brakeline that was connect to the metal one (which is rubber).

I'm lost! Help anyone! Does anyone have a complete list of what are the parts needed?

wprocomp
05-21-2004, 04:20 PM
get stainless rear lines will save you time and will make it stop better,and use your original e-brake cables they work just as fine but wont have a hole to mount too but that can be easily fixed with a drill

Justin86
05-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Ok guys you can use the coupe ebrake cable on the sedan, mine works great, but with the huge disks I have not all of the cable holders line up, but with stock disks everything should work good.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/469000-469999/469581_46_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/469000-469999/469581_47_full.jpg

hootymo
05-23-2004, 05:10 AM
ok wait a minute then, i have an 88 lxi sedan. do i need to do ANYTHING at all with the ebrake cables or will they just bolt up? im a bit confused with the mixed reviews. thanks.

Busted_Blue
05-23-2004, 01:13 PM
get stainless rear lines will save you time and will make it stop better,and use your original e-brake cables they work just as fine but wont have a hole to mount too but that can be easily fixed with a drill

are you sure on the ebrake cables? The ebrake cables are the two peices that are holding me back at the moment since they cost like $80 list price from dealer. If i can drill it, i will!

Vinny
05-23-2004, 02:03 PM
I thought the cables were discontinued as a dealer stock item. Atleast they aren't listed on San Leandro or Majestic, my local dealer told me the same thing. I posted a thread with the part numbers I got from NAPA if anyone is intersted go search for the. I think the thread title was "true cost of doin the se-i swap" or something like that. All the prices and partnumbers for EVERYTHING is on that thread

89dxowner
05-23-2004, 02:39 PM
I may have to do this swap someday. Sounds like a lot of work though.

Busted_Blue
05-23-2004, 03:39 PM
I thought the cables were discontinued as a dealer stock item. Atleast they aren't listed on San Leandro or Majestic, my local dealer told me the same thing. I posted a thread with the part numbers I got from NAPA if anyone is intersted go search for the. I think the thread title was "true cost of doin the se-i swap" or something like that. All the prices and partnumbers for EVERYTHING is on that thread

I talked to my dealer and they said it was $80 each special order for sei cables.

hootymo
05-23-2004, 04:52 PM
yea so do we need new cables or can we use the originals? like i said, i have an 88 lxi sedan and the only think im not sure about is the ebrake cables. if i need new ones then i gotta get them, otherwise if i just have to drill i can do that a lot easier.

Busted_Blue
05-23-2004, 09:32 PM

found the cost thread vinny. thanks!

Justin86
05-24-2004, 10:08 AM
yea you will be able to use the coupe cables on the sedan, I just did it on my car!

Vinny
05-24-2004, 10:47 AM
THEY ARE THE SAME CABLES PEOPLE :D If you look on Majestics site they emergency brake cables for the LX-i coupe's and the LX_i sedan share the same part numbers for the parking brake cable for DRUM brakes. Hence the cables are the same on the sedan and coupes with disc brakes. Same on the SE-i's. Both cables are the same between the SE-i coupe and the SE-i sedan. You WILL need SE-i brake cables, but they can come off a SE-i coupe or SE-i sedan

Busted_Blue
05-24-2004, 11:19 AM
thanks for the info, but since i dont have the cables, I still have to buy them :(

Vinny
05-24-2004, 11:27 AM
good luck with getting them from the dealer, I habve a feeling its not going to happen though. Usually when parts aren't available throught Majestic or San Leandro, they aren't available at all

hootymo
05-24-2004, 12:32 PM
awesome so what u guys are saying is that i dont need any new ebrake cables for my 88 lxi sedan, i just use the ones that are on there now? if so thats very cool. thanks.

Vinny
05-24-2004, 03:50 PM
No you will need the e brake cable for the SE-i disc brakes. But....it can come of an SE-i sedan or an SE-i coupe. You can't use the cable off a car with drum brakes.

Justin86
05-24-2004, 07:23 PM
he he he the only problems I have encountered is with the bigger rotors. Since the calipers now sit 2" more out they usual not everything lines up. One bracket on the ebrake won't line up and the front brake line won't line up, I had to disconnect the bracket that holds it to the suspension.

wprocomp
05-25-2004, 06:20 PM
justin86 you have one beautiful suspension my friend,two thumbs up!

superaccord
06-01-2004, 09:13 PM
i just finished putting on the rear disk brake conversion last night...It took me a freakin while getting in on, and the funny thing was....I knew what I was doing, so its not the easiest job in the world. But I still can't get my ebrake to work...Cables are pretty stretched out. I still have to mess with it though.

Justin86
06-02-2004, 08:23 AM
justin86 you have one beautiful suspension my friend,two thumbs up!
Thanks man, but it is still a work in progress, just need to work on these damn upper strut bars and lower tie bars. Then try to convert to tubular suspension in the end.

nswst8
06-02-2004, 05:51 PM
good luck with getting them from the dealer, I habve a feeling its not going to happen though. Usually when parts aren't available throught Majestic or San Leandro, they aren't available at all

Hey Vinny, not to step on your reply but Majestic does have the SEi E-brake cables they are $49.18 a piece with a $4.95 S&H they came in yesterday.
Phil :cheers:

Vinny
06-03-2004, 03:55 AM
good news to me. Last time i called they said they were a discontinued item. See if I listen to them again

nswst8
06-03-2004, 04:01 AM
When you get someone who is lazy or doesn't really know their job and gives you bad information.
But, now there is a glimmer of hope again.
Phil :cheers: