PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Install Attempt #1

zinj
07-13-2002, 02:32 PM
I'm trying to install an audiovox APS150A alarm in my 89LXi. I tapped into the 12V constant, ignition source, and ground wires from my radio wiring harness. Things were going well, (shock sensor and siren worked fine, etc.), until I tried to hook up the wire to pulse to the parking lights. When I armed the alarm, it and my head unit stopped working -- it turned out to be the same problem TeKKnoTeKK had a while back, a blown ECU fuse. I've replaced the fuse, but now I'm scared to hook it back up...

My question is: Could the problem be that I tried to tap into the radio circuit for power? Maybe the 10A fuse couldn't handle the extra load of flashing the parking lights? If so, where is another good place to tap in? (somewhere at the fusebox maybe?)

zinj
07-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Also, for any wiring experts out there: Is this wire info I got correct:
Parking Lights: red/black wire, driver's side floor.
Door Trigger: black/white wire, above fusebox

The courtesy light switches (door trigger) on our cars are (-) ground output right, not +12V output?

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help :)

89accordlxi
07-13-2002, 09:19 PM
In my Opinion, I wouldn't tap into anything from the radio harness. Get power straight from battery and ground to chassis.

parking light wire color sound right, and door triggers are (-) ground.

That's all I can say.

Good luck.

RCracer
07-19-2002, 01:54 PM
I just put a new alarm onto my car and the old one (fitted when i got it) had its power taken from the radio.
I ripped all that out and took the +from the main fusebox under the hood and I got my earth from a bolt under the trim near the fusebox.
I had to find all the door/trunk trigger wires so that my alarm can detect the point of entry and keep them seperate.

dj99
07-19-2002, 02:28 PM
When i installed keyless, i was told the parking lights wire was the red/black wire in the blue plug at fusebox. Didn't work for me (if i found it at all). I did use the red wire in the white plug at the fusebox successfully.

dj99
07-19-2002, 02:33 PM
Oh, yeah. My door trigger wires were green/white for lock, green/red for unlock located behind the driver kick panel.

86LX-ihatch
07-22-2002, 08:43 PM
I have all the Omega books with wiring colors for all cars at my office and I will post it for you tomorrow. I always tap into the 12v and acc. wires on the harness coming down the steering column. The park light problem may be your park lights might be postitive and your alarm may put out a negative pulse or vice versa. If that is case you will have to use a relay.