PDA

View Full Version : tail light masking

marks_hatch
04-07-2004, 05:59 PM
hey ive got a silver hatchback and im thinkin about painting my tail lights soon, i know you can use that testors candy apple red paint, but i was thinkin like maybe using krylon fusion in silver, to match the body color and then leaving a design on the lights for them to show through so they look masked. one of my friends at school has it done to his 300zx, and it looks sweet, he's got "Z"s in his taillights for the brakes and circles for the signal and reverse lights. anybody got any ideas for designs to paint on the lights?

any ideas are appreciated. :dunno:
mark

BITESIZE
04-07-2004, 08:29 PM
ummm...use vht or the tester's....don't do designs or I WILL MAKE FUN OF YOU! :)

MrBen
04-07-2004, 08:37 PM
You will never match the original paint unless you get an OEM paint. NAPA has them for our cars. You just give them your paint code.

If you don't go that route, then I would use nightshades or just straight candy apple because otherwise it could look like crap.

BDaccordguy
04-07-2004, 08:39 PM
well, if you mask them they wont let a whole lot of light though and most likely not look good either. Heres a pic of the tails that were on my car when i got it. Id say go for the all red tails.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/363000-363999/363844_8_full.jpg

zero.counter
04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Just visit ebay and get some R32 tails. It will take some work but will look better, imho. :)

Blue Impact
04-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Tint your tails...I think tinted tails on a silver ride looks much better than all red tails on a silver car...no masking...good luck with whatever you decide on...

marks_hatch
04-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Ok, the tint sounds good too, i just havent been able to find any in stores around here so i was tryin to find other options. I asked the guy at autozone if they carried VHT and he looked at me like i was on crack, so i guess i'll just order some off the internet. i was gonna try and do the corner lights on the front bumper in all black, so i bet that'll look tight w/ all black and silver.