PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Dx to Lx-i swap. Rotor sizes?

UofACATS
04-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey whats up.
I'm swapping 88 Lx-i brakes on my 89 Dx. Anyone know the exact size of the 88-89 Lx-i rotors?
I thought they were bigger, but don't seem obviously bigger - both brakes on car, not in hand - I know the lx-i requires 14" rims, but this may be the result of the caliper, and not the rotor.

Second question, anyone know the differences between the dx and lx-i calipers..size, strength, effectiveness, etc.?

And third question, If I keep the rest of the dx brake system stock, will performance suffer? i.e. is the ENTIRE Lx-i brake system superior to that of the Dx?
Oh, and this is my first post, so hey everyone. Im here a lot, but just read-n-learn, never a reason to post until now. Thanks.

BensAccordLxi
04-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Hey, those wheels go on ok? I'm sure it'll be alot better with those tires you want.

Justin86
04-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Well the rotors are about an 1" bigger. As far as performance they are slightly better cause of the bigger rotor and bigger pads. So to get the full gains of everything you need to swap the brake booster, proporting valve, rotors, calipers, and the front hub also, the rear's stay the same I belive.

AZmike
04-07-2004, 08:30 PM
The DX rotors are 7.6 in diameter compared to the 8.4 in LXi/SEi rotors. Brake lining surface area is 7.8 in^2, compared to 6.9 in^2 for the DX. If you're going to use the FI calipers you should probably also switch to the FI master cylinder since the carb master cylinder will give you a mushier, longer pedal stroke since it has a smaller bore.

AZmike
04-07-2004, 08:33 PM
I just saw that you're in Tucson. Let me know if you have any questions where to get parts or if you need a hand doing the work.

BensAccordLxi
04-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Mike, he's getting every thing off my Accord. Well, he's getting as much off my accord as possible. He snaged the calipers, and my wheels, today. Noah, you could always purchase my car if Jason doesn't :)

UofACATS
04-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey thanks for the replies, this is good news.
Ben, I guess I do need the rest of the brake stuff. The rims, even with old-ass tires makes a BIG difference, I turn the wheel....and the car turns!!! What a concept... With the Azenis, its gonna be sick.
Thanks for the offer AZMike, :rockon: My suspension is done, save some tweeking, so on to new stuff..
Thanks again.

BensAccordLxi
04-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Noah, I can give you the rest of the car minus the motor for $125.00. If you don't want to spend that kind of cash, we can work out an offer for the stuff you need.