PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid

HondaBoy
04-07-2004, 11:10 PM
my hand brake light has been on for a while. i had thought the brake system was low on fluid, and yeah, it was. so i spent $1.81 on a bottle of fluid. DOT 3 is what is needed. it was fairly low, so i filled it up just below the MAX line. the brake light went off, and i have increased pedal stiffness. so it stops much better. later on i may just fill the system with all new fluid. im planning on rebuilding the front calipers, put new rotors and rebuild the back brakes. my dad will be helping me with that so i dont fubar it. dont know which rotors i will go with. ive decided not to go with drilled rotors. its usually pretty hot here. dont know if thats suck a big deal, but i want the rotors to last for a while. probley get the slotted ones, original size. so, i just need to go and bug my dad to help me out with this. he'll surely do it because he aparently enjoys working on cars, so its all good. just hope it wouldnt take more than a day. anyone redid their brake? like besides pads or shoes.

BITESIZE
04-07-2004, 11:33 PM
I thought the brake light goes to the handbrake?

Busted_Blue
04-08-2004, 12:25 AM
when you replace your pads....the fluid gooes back to max...if nothing is leaking.

HondaBoy
04-08-2004, 10:43 AM
i think last time i had someone work on the front brakes they took out some of the fluid and didnt replace it. thats possible. anyway, the little brake indicator light on the instrument display is what i was talking about. thats the one for the hand brake.

Justin86
04-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Well right now I'm swaping the Se-i brake system and upgrading the rotors and pads. I'm getting AEM slotted rotors and AEM pads, and rebuilding the calipers. As for replacing the piston seals, they are not cheap, they cost me $50 and there is still other stuff rubber dust boots and crap. It wouldn't be much more spendy then getting new calipers then trying to rebuild then correctly.

grsmnky33
04-09-2004, 09:01 PM
there is a little sensor in the master cylinder that when the brake fluid gets to certain level it turns the light on the dashboard on to remind you that the brake fluid in the resevoir is low......