PDA

View Full Version : cam installed. car wont run. help helphelp help

bobafett
04-08-2004, 11:48 AM
:mad: :mad:

ok we got my cam installed, everything went relatively slowly and painfully...

cam is installed, mark on the belt is lined up with the mark on the cam gear that we made for ourselves, and then we got those notches on the cam gear lined up on the head.

put the dizzy back on and then realized because car wouldnt start that the key was 180 off. turns out that it WAS off. so we got that lined up properly and put it back together, same results...

the only thing that i can think of that i havent done yet, is adjust the valves, but i figure it should run, just not perfectly.

what are the things i probably overlooked and fucked up.. dont hold anything back, because I AM mechanically retarted, so if there is something really goddamned obvious i could well have overlooked it.

HELP :owned: :owned: :owned: :owned: :owned: :owned: :owned:

86LXItooFAST4me
04-08-2004, 12:03 PM
i always heard to leave your valves a little loose untill they ara completely setted. but that shouldnt be why it isnt running unless you have them too tight but even then it should just run like shit. i would double check all my timeing and make sure the fireing order is right and no loose wires.

shepherd79
04-08-2004, 01:02 PM
check your vacuum lines on distributor. if they are unpluged it won't run smooth.
second, recheck and recheck the timming belt. you should just use zip ties to hold the belt to the cam gear. this way you can't offset the timing.
third, i don't know what else it can be, since i don't have a car or pictures in the front of me.

NXRacer
04-08-2004, 01:11 PM
i didnt think you could put the dizzy on 180 deg off because its keyed in a way where you cant be 180 off. Will it start at all and just run rough or not run at all?? One thing that happend to me was when i put in the new motor i couldnt get ANYTHING because my ground wire on the valve cover wasnt on. I made a new wire for it and it finally started an ran.

bobafett
04-09-2004, 05:39 PM
im a mother fucking retaaaaaaaaaard.

we (my buddy) didnt install the key that holds the cam to the cam gear like i thought we did. also we put a cam seal in that mysteriously wasnt there when we took the car back apart.

anyway we got the valves all adjusted and it runs fine, but my friend came over and heard it running and said DONT EVEN DRIVE IT LIKE THAT cause the valve noise was a lot louder... didnt sound like the bad adjustment click, but it was WAY louder.

anyway it pulls pretty well in the low end, and the high end leaves much to be desired, but i havent messed with timing, and im not going to until we get the valves done "properly"

my buddy has a ASE certified honda mechanic coming over tomorrow for $20 and a case of beer and he is gonna fix it up

bobafett
04-09-2004, 05:41 PM
UPDATE:

ok we got all that shit adjusted. the valves were way out of wack, and now it sounds really good and we got some power back. i think it was worth the $100, but i dont think it gave me any 20hp... maybe 5hp lol... but its good and the car sounds really nice!

86LXItooFAST4me
04-10-2004, 05:19 AM
hey boba what kind of cam did you use? colt?

bobafett
04-10-2004, 10:33 AM
16.6 at the track compared to a 17.293 last times
my times can be improved a lot though, because i ran a 2.5 60ft and i have run 2.4s easily, and i know 2.3s or 2.2s are possible. so my next order of business is some wider tires! ;)