PDA

View Full Version : Power Locks Installation

89BlackH-Back
07-13-2002, 07:59 PM
Hey I was reading through the Technical Threads and I noticed a Thread about 89 DX's have wiring for power locks.... well that me me feel left out since I have an 89 Lxi....when I origionally was looking for my Hatchback I wanted power windows and power locks but when I found the one was was looking for there werent any power locks only windows so now I am wondering if there is a way I can install my own power locks and a list of the parts I will need.... To anyone who can lead me in the right direction I will appreciate the help very much!

GreenMachine
07-14-2002, 10:01 PM
You can buy the power lock motors at pretty much any stereo/alarm shop. Its has been like 2 years since I put mine in but I'll give it a try
- Take your door panel off
- locate the metal bar that is horizontal going to the actual lock on the door.
- then you mount the door lock on the inside of the door - paralel to the rod ( find the best location so the lock will be pushing the rod with ease as well as not being in the way of the window when it rolls up) * will need a drill to mount
- then you attach the lock mechanism to the rod.
- then run you wires into the car

from there , I dunno, not to much of an electrical person . lol

I wired mine to my alarm but i'm sure you could just wire them to a switch, but I'm positive you'll need relays .
Hope this helps

offthahook
07-15-2002, 12:41 AM
No 2 or 3 doors ever had factory power locks (til 90). I've heard of people adding PL to their dx or coupe models, but it was always in conjunction w/ an alarm with keyless entry. I wonder if 4g Accord PL setup could be used??? The doors are not that different. Some modding would be necessary, but it might be possible.

shepherd79
07-15-2002, 04:29 AM
hey 89BlackH-Back

you car is LXI when you bought it right?
well LX or LXI is full equiped models. you should have power locks. may be you burned fuse. check the fuses man.

offthahook
07-15-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
hey 89BlackH-Back

you car is LXI when you bought it right?
well LX or LXI is full equiped models. you should have power locks. may be you burned fuse. check the fuses man.

NO 2 or 3 Door bodies ever came with power locks. Even Se-i's and Lx-i's. Thus, he doesn't have them (yet).

shepherd79
07-15-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by offthahook

NO 2 or 3 Door bodies ever came with power locks. Even Se-i's and Lx-i's. Thus, he doesn't have them (yet).

well this is something i learned today.
try taking wire harness and locks from LX or LXI sedan.