PDA

View Full Version : exhaust leak... upgrading exhaust

Tecknixia
04-09-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm upgrading my exhaust... it has a leak... however, I want it to sound very similar to stock because I don't want any tickets for "custom exhaust" in Colorado when I move there. However, I do want a more efficient exhaust with a little better flow.

Now I talked to a muffler place and they said I should get the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler because it's really quiet. My exhaust is leaking from the pipe with the resonator on it. My question is...

From after the cat should I upgrade the size of the pipe? Will it make it much louder if I upgrade to 2.25?? I don't plan on any performance mods so would 2" be fine?

Also, should I have them weld the pipe on after the stock resonator or should I get the new pipe attached to the cat with a new aftermarket resonator??

Please :help:

Cyric_accord
04-09-2004, 11:32 AM
If you want quiet but some performance, go 2.25" inch piping, welding a resonator inline and then the Super Turbo, The ones I have heard are relatively quiet with a good resonator..

Plus they're cheaper than most mufflers :)

Moodybluesr
04-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Larger diameter pipe ususally doesn't make your exhaust louder, it just deepens the tone. I agree with Cyric that you should have a resonator welded in if you are worried about noise. I am just about to have the exhaust put on my Integra and I'm using a Magnaflow XL stainless muffler that I got off eBay for less than $60 shipped. I'll let you know how it sounds if you are interested in a cheap stainless muffler.

Tecknixia
04-10-2004, 12:15 AM
That helps, thanks.

I'll be doing this soon probably. So you might not get your muffler in time, but why not, let me know how it sounds.

If a wider pipe deepens the tone then I'm definitely upgrading the size, it seems everyone agrees on 2.25, and I do want a resonator. Any suggestions for good ones? I'll probably talk to the shop about this also. Thanks.

Edit: Ok, I've been looking online for a while now and I can't find out who makes or sells universal aftermarket resonators. So would it be best to keep the stock resonator and have them attach the new pipe directly after the resonator? The hole in my exhaust is on the same pipe that the resonator is on, but is further down the line. I guess I'll just have to ask the shop...

A20A1
04-10-2004, 11:30 AM
no, no stock resonator... I'll look for something, it might be under a different name.

Tecknixia
04-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Why no stock resonator? From what I've read, resonators don't really restrict the flow that much, so keeping them in would not hurt performance but make it quiter. Or is the stock one different? Does it not work as good as an aftermarket one would?

Anyways, what it seems I'm going to do is not upgrade the exhaust, just weld a new pipe inbetween the stock resonator and stock muffler. If I wasn't trying to save money then I'd upgrade it, but it seems I would be able to fix the problem this way and not have to worry about loudness.

Oh, get this, the dude who tested out my exhaust said that I had a bad cat! "Well," I said, "that's strange... it passed emissions..." He asked, "how long ago was that?" I said, "Two weeks...." Hmmm.

I think he was just trying to get me to spend more money maybe... the emissions numbers looked good... will our cars still pass emissions with a bad cat?

A20A1
04-11-2004, 12:50 AM
no one mentioned pacesetter? lol

I figured you wnated to upgrade the whole thing... but i reread your post
Nah if you want to keep it quiet and have a little more flow then just go with what you said originally, the 2.25 from the res back... I doubt the cat would die that quickly. Get it tested somewhere else maybe... or wait till you actually need to pass.

Moodybluesr
04-11-2004, 03:59 AM
The stock resonator is actually part of a pipe assembly and you would have to cut it out to use it in a custom setup. Also the inner diameter of the stock resonator matches the stock pipe, which is either 1.75" or 2.00", so this would definately not be a good idea if you are upgrading to 2.25" (good move). It would be easier and probably cheaper to grab a glasspack muffler to use as a resonator. Meijer sells Cherry Bombs for $15.99 if there is one around you or you can grab one at a local auto parts store on the cheap as well.

Moodybluesr
04-20-2004, 02:22 PM
*update*

I just had my exhaust installed on the Integra and I'm very pleased with the Magnaflow XL. I used a Catco convertor, a glasspack for a resonator, and 2.25 inch pipe custom back to the Magnaflow, all welded of course. The system is nice and deep just a touch louder than stock, which really surprised me considering the straight-thru design of the Magnaflow. But for $59.33 to my door for a stainless performance muffler, I have to say I am very satisfied.