PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! I broke something that looks important.

stylus277
07-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Hello, Upon attempting to adjust the timing on my 89 dx, (carb) I broke off the vaccume motor thingy attacked to the side of the distrubter, it was not a good idea is what I am thinking.

The engine was running when this happened, and when It broke, the idle jumped. I am guessing the idle raised by 1-150rpms. So...what does this little unit do, and how much $$ damage did I cause??

anybody PLEASE.

http://www.stylusdesigns.com/broke.jpg

YK86
07-13-2002, 09:56 PM
That I think is the vaccum advance for the distributor. The hoses labelled #2 and #25?? Anyways, you could try drilling a hole tiny bit smaller than the tube that broke off, take the tube that broke out of the hose and tap it into the hole you drilled. Tap it in enough to get the tube to stick but don't go too far. If the hole wasn't big enough use the next size up. Better to be smaller than too big. Hope this helps.

DBMaster
07-14-2002, 11:50 AM
You can buy a new one from hondaautomotiveparts.com for about $40. My original one got an internal leak and wouldn't hold vacuum so I had to replace it. You definitely need it on there, though.

stylus277
07-14-2002, 11:50 AM
umm...I wish it was a hose I snapped off, but it was the whole assembly, it is hanging their, and I can see inside the distributer where the cable is that makes the thing operate (i guess)

do you know what it does, does it tell the choke how to operate or idle or what??

POS carb
07-14-2002, 12:33 PM
well I would guess that upon breaking the assembly the linkage remained attatched and the weight of the advance yanked on the linkage and upped oyur timing *that would cause an idle jump* you need to replace it , it's not too expensive and you can do it with basic hand tools.

DBMaster
07-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Just be really careful with the little snap ring that secures the actuator rod to the inside of the distributor. That was the only part that gave me a bit of a challenge.

offthahook
07-15-2002, 10:32 AM
OT, but I think your valve cover gasket leaks :eek: If you haven't replaced it recently, you might wanna do it.

stylus277
07-15-2002, 06:20 PM
valve cover leak, I just want the stupid thing to start when I finally sell it.