PDA

View Full Version : damn now i have to reveal that i dont know sht about my engine

pixiesfan78
04-09-2004, 10:33 PM
ok im pretty ignorent about this stuff in fact you could say i dont know shit but ive been toying with my ride for a couple years and it just seames to get better. so im considering a little engine moding its an auto so insert joke here but i would like to get about 200 hp out of it.i dont race or anything but i like to be able to get up and go when i want to.so what are the major things i will need to make that kinda hp. as i understand it.ill need a2.5''exaust' a weber carb' a regrinded cam 'advanced timing' performance coil' ngk plugs and wires' ramair intake' an upgraded fuel pump'and maybe a prelude tranny.should that about get me there?anything else i should do or not do?

ivanfbi
04-09-2004, 11:04 PM
i think there is no way to get 200 hp without swapping engine or turboing a20a3....may be wrong

ivanfbi
04-09-2004, 11:07 PM
btw, 15" tall spoiler might get you up to 170hp, then about 100 stickers like type R(etard) or Racing will get you over 200hp, then just get exhaust tip about 8" wide and you will kill old muscle Mustang like it wasn't moving

PS. Don't mind me, I am drunk.....

A20A1
04-09-2004, 11:14 PM
You can get to 200 hp, it's just going to cost $$$.
I would get the dual weber 45 dcoe carbs.
Look into the lightspeed header when it is for sale. Get it in Stainless if you can.
I'm not sure if the regrind is best.. you might think about getting a new cam, i forget who sells them. Also upgrade the valve train do a valve job and increase the valve size... and port the head and certainly increase the compression with some pistons or welding the head like Openloop did.

NXRacer
04-09-2004, 11:50 PM
to go with what mike just mentioned, you could get a motor from sean and build yourself up a pretty burly n/a motor. maybe instead of going carbs, you could think about going with say idividual throttle bodies and a custom EFI setup done by sean. That way you wouldnt have to worry about doing an EFI swap and all that crap.

Elijah
04-10-2004, 12:04 AM
EFI then turbo.Dont mind me I'm a boost head.

speedpenguin
04-10-2004, 11:07 AM
i keep hearing about sean's EFI setup.
you say this is easier than just a swap?
wondering how...
is this something i can do myself?
wondering cuz i'm going turbo so i need EFI one way or the other

smufguy
04-10-2004, 07:17 PM
i keep hearing about sean's EFI setup.
you say this is easier than just a swap?
wondering how...
is this something i can do myself?
wondering cuz i'm going turbo so i need EFI one way or the other

Its better because of the follwing, with a $550 price tag on it. Jesus its a lot
and dont forget, u need an intake manifold to run it and its not mentioned on the site.

- GM ECU reprogrammed to run A20 engine
- Complete support for high and low impedence injectors, up to 90lbs/hr
- GM 2-bar MAP sensor (good to 15psi)
- Complete wire harness
- Converted distributor ($35 core)
- Complete wiring and hook-up instructions
- Support for logging of data output to a laptop

Picking up the parts from ur local junkyard would be cost efficient and be able to get it under $300 to $350. With me converting to Efi using stock wiring harness for the engine bay, cabin, intake manifold, gas tank, alt and pretty much evey thing, i was able to get it around $350 or $370 so it was not bad at all.

shepherd79
04-10-2004, 07:42 PM
actually, Sean has distributorless ECU setup and it is designed to work better with turbo.
the one you (smufguy) were talking is designed to work on NA motors.
i talk to sean myself, and i asked him about it. when i had my old carbed car i was thinking to buy his ECU and he told me that he would have cheaper version of it for NA motors.

speedpenguin
04-12-2004, 12:25 PM
the question is, is it easier to install?
i don't exactly have an incredible amount of time on my hands, and an PGM-FI junkyard swap would require my car to be out of commision for between 3 days and a week. i still have to go to work and such-like, so if the kit would get the job done faster, and is more turbo-friendly, that'd be the way i go.

smufguy
04-12-2004, 05:10 PM
the question is, is it easier to install?
i don't exactly have an incredible amount of time on my hands, and an PGM-FI junkyard swap would require my car to be out of commision for between 3 days and a week. i still have to go to work and such-like, so if the kit would get the job done faster, and is more turbo-friendly, that'd be the way i go.

3 days? you kiddin me? With the parts in hand, and depending on how mechanically good you are, i would say about a day given with breaks like a sat or sunday to finish it up. As of now, i can do it in one day no more. its a pretty straight forward installation. and yeah, you might need your buddy to help you out so that you can finish it off quick. ;)

But if you're going with a turbo, then yeah, you be well off with his set up, but still you need the wiring harness from a stock efi car right?

mrdave
04-12-2004, 06:22 PM
How about if you already have EFI, how hard is it to switch over to the new ECU?

howndamane
04-12-2004, 06:52 PM
btw, 15" tall spoiler might get you up to 170hp, then about 100 stickers like type R(etard) or Racing will get you over 200hp, then just get exhaust tip about 8" wide and you will kill old muscle Mustang like it wasn't moving

PS. Don't mind me, I am drunk.....

haha :lol:

smufguy
04-12-2004, 07:01 PM
How about if you already have EFI, how hard is it to switch over to the new ECU?

its more of a plug and go if i remember it.

RipClaw
04-19-2004, 11:08 AM
anythings possible just think of how to do it....get 2 dragonair intakes off ebay one on fuel injector and one on intake and full exhaust you will push bout 180....my car stock has 130hp and im gonna get my exhaust redone to 2.5" piping and flowmaster muffler in the next month....

88accordlxi hatch,
Matt

just my philosophy but im not in any rush im gettin my exhaust done and come summer time get my paintjob...if not sooner... :werd:

speedpenguin
04-20-2004, 11:10 AM
really? it only takes that long?
holy shit.
well it will still take me longer because i have to work.
i'll just have to borrow my mom's car for those days...
also remember that i am highly inexperienced working with cars and thus will want to go slowly to make sure i get it right and not screw something up.