PDA

View Full Version : smoke out my ac vents

staticpat
07-13-2002, 08:59 PM
im not sure if it was just vapor, but it scared the poo out of me. it happened whenever i was going above 50 or so, with the AC on. smoke just started pouring out the vents. and my car has been running shitty lately. i checked under the hood, and saw one of my spark plug wires shaking, i poked it and smoke starting coming out! tightened the plug up, also noticed the plugs were pretty darn white, thinking i may need to mess with my air/fuel mixture, or adjust my timing. the engine runs better now. havent tested the ac yet. i have no one to blame but myself, what was i thinking!

Jims 86LXI HB
07-14-2002, 06:41 AM
:lol lol, well I sure hope it's vapor. I've had vapor come out of my vents a couple of times when I was running the A/C, kinda spooky isn't it.

Lester Lugnut
07-14-2002, 07:43 AM
Your A/Cs evaporator(up under the dash) is freezing up.

Thermostatic contol is supposed to cycle off the A/C around 32F, This is likely malfunctioning. Some Honda techs claim that if you adjust the slide control to a slightly warmer setting you'll reduce the likelyhood of this happening.

I'm not sure I've ever completely bought into this as the evaporator t-stat should prevent this. I will say it seems to be more prevelant on Accords than many other makes. Try adjusting the slide lever that controls temp.(cool to warm) to a warmer setting if your A/C is blowing cold when set to max cool on the slide.

staticpat
07-14-2002, 09:04 AM
well it still does it, but i dont think its natural because this has never happened before. ill try to adjust the slider.

also it only comes out the center vents, even when the flow through thing is switched, so does this mean the air is coming in from the engine?

DBMaster
07-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Do you also hear more "hissing" than usual from the area of the evaporator? My car does the "smoke" thing whenever it get a little low on freon (R12, thank you very much). Put in a half can, or so, clears it right up.