PDA

View Full Version : Cold Can

RobbyKlotz
04-10-2004, 08:19 AM
I just got to thinking of the days when my brother had his mustang...

He installed a small metal can near his fuel lines. He had to modify the can and his fuel line. He made it where the fuel line would coil up inside this can, then drop a bag of ice in and put the lid on it.

Would this help with power because you are cooling the fuel before it goes into the carb.

I dont have the means of doing it or testing it, but just wondering

Mike's89AccordLX
04-10-2004, 08:43 AM
I don't think it would really help. Man I have never heard of that before.... weird. What do you guys think?

locknload68
04-10-2004, 08:52 AM
I don't think it would help with anything. If anything, it would cause problems.

The fuel needs to vaporize in order to explode. The carb relies on heat raise the temp of the fuel to its vapor point. Fuel injection is different and doesn't depend on heat to vaporize the fuel. Anyway, the colder the fuel, the harder it is to get to that vaporization temp.

This idea MIGHT work for air intake. You want cold air for your intake because cold air is denser and can release more energy from the fuel during combustion. But as far as I know, colder fuel does not mean the fuel is more dense.

RobbyKlotz
04-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Well, it was just an idea... I was kinda pondering with the idea..

shepherd79
04-10-2004, 09:47 AM
that was and older trick for V8 engines.
on our motor you can disconnect the coolant lines running through intake manifol. this way the intake manifold would stay cool. how do i know? well when i did this mod i left my coolant temp sensor in. so, when the car idles, the intake is little warm , but as soon as i start rolling it cools down to cold almost ice.
the other thing you can do i s diconnect the remove the fuel heater plate. it is the plate that sits between the carb and intake manifold. what it does is evaporates the gas a little to help the car start in the morning. i had the heater taken out. it improved the airflow a lot.

eightyfivelude
04-11-2004, 12:13 PM
hey,

that maybe old v8 technology, but almost any pro car that you see running at a drag stip v8 straight 4 6 cyl, they all run a cool can. These are the cars that are running quick times like sub 11's and stuff. I'm yet to see a car without a cool can of some type for the fuel.

Matt

RobbyKlotz
04-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Thats why I was pondering with the idea of making one for my car to test it with... but I dont know about messing around with the fuel line....

pixiesfan78
06-25-2004, 11:39 PM
the other thing you can do i s diconnect the remove the fuel heater plate. it is the plate that sits between the carb and intake manifold. what it does is evaporates the gas a little to help the car start in the morning. i had the heater taken out. it improved the airflow a lot. a20a1 told me i could not remove the heater becouse the throttle linkage will be out of whak. did you have to get a spacer custom built or is the carb actually sitting directly on the manifold? let me know how you did it sheppard now that i know it can be done im stoked wanted to get rid of that forever. plus it will give more space for my civic intake even though i allredy cut out the hood brace above it. :rockon:

A20A1
06-26-2004, 12:10 AM
I think he means the heater element inside the EFE plate... that can be punched out to get rid of the ristriction while still using the plate as a straight spacer so the throttle linkage wont hit the manifold.

k-roy
06-26-2004, 12:43 AM
I say go make a cool can. It sounds like a fun project. Just be sure to make it so you can convert back if it does not work out.