PDA

View Full Version : Do silencers hender performance?

SharkyX
04-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Just ondering if having the silencer in the aftermarket muffler will hender its performance?

88accordhb
04-10-2004, 04:06 PM
hmmm, I don't think it does. if it does then only by a tiny fraction, that's something you shouldn't worry bout, all it does is alter the noise of the exhaust. it's not called a deperformancer. lol

A20A1
04-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Well I think it does decrease performance... at least in the top end. The bottom end might like the little bit of scavenging that some silencer could produce.

smufguy
04-10-2004, 05:46 PM
I personally dont think it hinders it and there is no clear way to tell it unless you ran a full exhaust with a muffler with a silencer and then a muffler without one.

How the hell does a silencer look line anyway? Its just he baffles inside the muffler right?

SharkyX
04-10-2004, 05:57 PM
I personally dont think it hinders it and there is no clear way to tell it unless you ran a full exhaust with a muffler with a silencer and then a muffler without one.

How the hell does a silencer look line anyway? Its just he baffles inside the muffler right?

When the silencer is inm there it makes your muffler look like you have a stock muffler with a Tip on it, you know what im talking about? ONly reason i was thinking it may hender performance is becasue its making you muffler exit smaller and not allowing as much to be released at one time, at the same time im a moron to this stuff so what i just said may be utter bull shit lol.

ET2
04-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Its better to lose a little performance on the top end then get a $100 ticket

smufguy
04-10-2004, 07:00 PM
so you are talking about the reg baffled mufflers like the Dynomax rather than a fartcan like the Apexi or the Supertrap. Well, I have a Dynomax superturbo like many of the members here and they are pretty good. Dont sound loud and also i have a resonator to quieten it down a little bit and give it a lil grown at the low rpm ;). I have seem reg looking mufflers with fiberglass packing and are straight flow. The Dynomax superturbo is a 2.25" inlet and outlet. If i was you, i wont be that concerned.

Also, the Dynomax super turbo is stated as closer to running a straight pipe, so i guess its good :)

SharkyX
04-10-2004, 07:46 PM
no i was talking about a fartcan

SharkyX
04-10-2004, 07:57 PM
this is what a "fart can" with the silencer in it looks like

http://www.geocities.com/sjcfire45/em08x2_a.jpg

A20A1
04-10-2004, 08:16 PM
lol, there is no way that would pass as a stock muffler... but like i said. the smaller diameter will give a little bit of extra scavenging on the low end and plug up the top end... as for getting tickets, well just don't get a loud muffler to begin with, or keep the resonator.

SharkyX
04-10-2004, 08:22 PM
A20, he asked what a silencer look like, only way i could figure to explain it was when you have a big ass tip on your stock, if you look directly ino it, you see the outer rim of the tip, but also the outer rim of the stock on the inside of the big tip, you get what im saying? im not worried bout tickets, im getting a resinator but on when i get all my exxhaust work done on tuesday, was just curious about the silencer thing.

Jims 86LXI HB
04-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Just ondering if having the silencer in the aftermarket muffler will hender its performance?

That depends on how the rest of the system is designed. On my custom exhaust on my G35, I used twin Injen SES mufflers. When I drove the car home after having the muffler shop weld all my parts together, I had the silencers installed. For the heck of it, I removed them the next day and did a few acceleration runs. I could tell right away I lost a lot of high end, I mean not guessing, I flat out lost power. Not enough exhaust gas volocity. As soon as I pulled the car in the driveway, I reinstalled the silencers and got my power back. To be fair, it is a header back system, highflow cats, true dual, X-crossover, 2 18" magnaflow resonators. So I'd think silencer or not, would depend on what's up stream and just how much the muffler is opened up when the silencers are removed. On the Injen mufflers when the silencer is removed, their like the diameter of your exhaust piping on the inside, pretty much straight through.

A20A1
04-10-2004, 10:41 PM
damn I never thought the silencer would add a great deal of velocity in the top end... it doesn't seem right that the system would be tuned to have more power with the silencer installed though.

smufguy
04-10-2004, 11:31 PM
But Jim, you got a 3.5L V6 do u think that kinda high displacement would work under the same principle as a 15yr old 2L 4banger?

SharkyX
04-11-2004, 05:15 AM
welll atm i will be running stock cat and header, with 2.25 pipe running to the cat from the Exhaust.