PDA

View Full Version : antena problems

shepherd79
04-10-2004, 02:24 PM
ok guys,
i am having big issues with my antenna. when even turn my car half a turn the radio is great, but as soon as i turn to igntion position, the radion gets all static. i know it has to be antenna because my cd sounds clear with no noice at all.
so, i just spent 3 hours tryning to figure out how to remove that bitch.
i search the board and the only think i found was that there is a "C" clip that holds the antenna to the motor. is that true?
Are there anything else i have to remove to pull the antenna out?
i probably will replace it with non power one because i don't use that feature anyway.

oh, what are my options for aftermarket antennas? i don't want to look too goofy with ugly antenna. Show me some pictures of your aftermarket antenna.

thanks a lot guys.

shepherd79
04-10-2004, 07:06 PM
i figured out. thanks.

Malt Beverage
04-10-2004, 07:14 PM
I was thinking about shaving my stock antena on my lxi since the motor is jammed anyway, and replace it wit ha vw style antena in the back/middle of the car... Any thoughts on how this would look?

catalin
04-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Here's what it looks like.

http://members.shaw.ca/ccapota/IMG_1342.JPG

Malt Beverage
04-11-2004, 06:20 AM
Wow! I love that car. That is pretty much the look I was thinking for my car... :). I really like the look of that antena on there. Goes well with the tinted windows and other black on the car. Also, great job shaving the trim. Really looks great. I guess that answers my question... New antena it is.

87AccordsterLx
04-11-2004, 06:45 AM
What was the problem Alex? I was thinking about removing the metal piece from my antenna and leaving the base there. My power feature doesn't work it just clicks and does not retract. How did you get it out?

I heard that you can get those wire antennas that just look like a black wire... you can put it anywhere in your car. I think I would put it on the back deck some where that you couldn't notice it. Any help on removing it would be great.

MrBen
04-11-2004, 09:21 AM
The aftermarket direct replacement antenna from Schucks looks better than stock. It goes in the same spot and looks mostly the same, but is chrome and sexier. However it still looks stock.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Here is what you need to do to remove the antenna:

Tools: Metric socket set, one long extension, ratchet, needle nose pliers, phillips screw driver, small flathead precision screw driver, two pieces of thin nylon rope, and some masking tape with a marker.

1.) Slide the driver seat all the way back. If possible, extend the antenna all the way.
2.) Remove the plastic cover underneath the steering column (4 screws).
3.) Remove the change tray. (Swing down and pull a little simultaneously, should come right off).
4.) Remove the two 10mm nuts that attach the fuse box. Use a long extension to reach the left nut through the hole where the change tray mounts.
5.) Use the marker and masking tape to label all the connectors (Match the female to male using numbers. (Ex: Male connector #1 goes to female connector #1). Remove/disconnect connectors as you label them. (The connectors around the fuse box mount to it with clips. Use a small flat screwdriver to remove these.)
6.) Once the fusebox is completely disconnected, put it somewhere where it won't be damaged.
7.) Remove the two phillips head screws at the top antenna mount.
8.) Use needlenose pliers to remove the horse-shoe clip connecting the antenna guide tube to the body of the motor.
9.) Disconnect the antenna signal wire from the head unit and pull it through the dash until it is completely out.
10.) Tie one nylon rope piece to the signal wire, and another to the antenna guide tube/cable.
11.) Expose the white antenna cable that is inside the guide tube. Turn the ignition to the "I" position and have someone press the antenna switch to the "Raise" position while you pull on the cable. Once the cable it out of the motor, pull the antenna and the ropes out of the pillar (leaving the ropes IN the pillar).

Omit Step 12 if motor is not being removed.
12.) Remove the nut attaching the motor to the chassis. Pull out the motor drain tube out of the tube in the chassis. (The headlight retractor controller may be detached to make the tube removal/installation easier, since you can actually see where you are poking the tube :D). Disconnect the motor wiring and remove the motor.

The installation is basically the reverse of the removal.

Hope this helps.

hondamanlxi
04-11-2004, 04:02 PM
if you decide to shave it but dont want to get a replacement, do this : cut just the base and part of the mast down and shove it back into the roof (toward the back of the car) This will still give you about 75% usage! I've had a vendetta against antennas since i got my first accord in 99-00!

shepherd79
04-12-2004, 03:43 AM
the problem with my antenna is that there is short somewhere. and i need to pull it ou to fix the problem.
i am trying to do as cheap as I can since i am student and i don't have any money on a new one.