PDA

View Full Version : question for carb CAI pros

88accordhb
04-10-2004, 06:59 PM
ok...so i went to the junkyard and got the civic air box. i made the hole on the underside so that it fits over the carb. I know which ones to connect, #16, #17 and the PVC hose. sooo my question is wat do i do with the big hose that runs from the underside of the stock intake pipe to the manifold. this one, i circled it red http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/566000-566999/566138_25_full.jpg in the pics of the carb CAI pipes you guys got, i noticed you just took the whole hose off, leaving a big open hole at the manifold. also, i noticed in the pics that you don't have the PVC hose connected to the the new civic air box. rather you just put a little filter on it. soo wat shold i do with the fatty hose that runs to the manifold? should i drill a hole in the new intake pipe and somehow make it run from the manifold to the intake pipe? my guess is that this hose runs hot air into the intake pipe since it's from the manifold. and the pvc, should i just put a filter on it, or connect it to the new airbox?

smufguy
04-10-2004, 07:05 PM
This is more of a technical question than a performance one. Anyways, You can forget about the hot air suction hose, you dont need that pos anyway. and for the PVC, yeah you can put just a filter on it. not a problem.

A20A1
04-10-2004, 07:40 PM
It connects to the heat shield not the actual exhaust manifold... It will only effect start up, and really only if it's cold out.

88accordhb
04-11-2004, 03:02 PM
ok...here's another technical question, but i don't feel like putting another thread up in the tech. i finished carb cold air intake today. and i can notice the difference in performance. but i'm kinda disappointed. i was hoping to get a loud sucking noise at the beginning of every rev (like when i flipped the lid), i think there's one, but i can hardly notice it. I did everything right, #16 in, 17 in, pvc with breather filter and wat else? does anyone know how to get the sucking noise? theres like some crap about the valve #5 or the silencer tube or some crap, i don't know, help!

smufguy
04-11-2004, 03:16 PM
ok...here's another technical question, but i don't feel like putting another thread up in the tech. i finished carb cold air intake today. and i can notice the difference in performance. but i'm kinda disappointed. i was hoping to get a loud sucking noise at the beginning of every rev (like when i flipped the lid), i think there's one, but i can hardly notice it. I did everything right, #16 in, 17 in, pvc with breather filter and wat else? does anyone know how to get the sucking noise? theres like some crap about the valve #5 or the silencer tube or some crap, i don't know, help!

On a true CAI, the noise wont be there, cause the filter itself is not closer to the cabin, its inside the bumper, thats why you dont hear it. But with a short ram intake, you will hear it a lot like the flipped lid because its much closer to you. Also, i cant explain the sound when i ran my car without an intake, but just an open throttle body. Man..... at that time i had a stock muffler and it felt like i had an aftermarket muffler. It was funny, shit had a lil bit of pull than compared to with the intake piping. This is because of Resonance most likely, the longer the pipe, larger the resonance.

Also, what INSIDE DIAMETER pipe did you use?

88accordhb
04-11-2004, 03:31 PM
i'm using the damn civic, induction pipe, it's rubber think it might my 2.5. i can't find an alumninum pipe anywhere that could bend downwards towards the axel like with the rubber one right now. can you explain to me wat's the diff between short ram and cold air intake? DAMN! i should've looked into that. as from pics 3geezers post, they look the same almost. which one has more power? also in the how-to thread on carb cai, it says to hook the pcv hose to the new airbox, but like wats the point? since it blows hot air and gases in there, wats the point of cold air then?

Bryan
04-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Ok short ram goes near your battery and is generally a straight pipe and isn't very long, and you usually use a heat shield for it. Cold Air intake is a bent pipe and gets put by your front bumper so that it gets the colder air and it isn't affected by the heat of the engine.

smufguy
04-11-2004, 05:56 PM
The reason behind the CAI and the short ram intake are pretty straight forward. for maximum power output the inlet pressure of the fresh air has to be greater, and cold air does that. also, colder air has a much higher density than a warm fluffy air and fuel mixture is better under cold air conditions. The ease of having a custom CAI is that in winter when the road is really icy and slushy or rainy, you can just unhook the joint near the battery location and make it a short ram intake.

Dont worry about the PCV valve, just put a small filter on the valve cover and you are good to go.

88accordhb
04-11-2004, 06:26 PM
ok i posted pics in the pics section, tell me wat you think