PDA

View Full Version : To resurface or replace

tsuanosuke
04-10-2004, 07:53 PM
I am replacing my clutch and I was quoted 50 for resurfacing the flywheel. Well, I checked at autozone and they have two flywheels, one was 40 and the other 60. I was wondering if I should just have the stock flywheel resurfaced or just replace it with a new one. I don't really know the quality of the aftermarket flywheels and maybe someone here has some experience with them. My tranny is slipping to the point where I will climb in revs and not accelerate didly. I have a hard time accelerating above 3k rpms and it sucks to drive over 40 mph. I just bought the car, so I just want to get it to good running condition. Just wanted some input.

Tuan

AccordEpicenter
04-10-2004, 08:42 PM
just resurface the stock one. IF its not grooved or warped or messed up on the friction surface you might be able to get away with just installing a new clutch, but it might chatter... i reccomend an Exedy/Daikin clutch kit because theyre high quality stock replacement clutch for cheap, basically the same shit that honda uses

86LXItooFAST4me
04-11-2004, 05:58 AM
first thing is are the flywheels at autozone for a standard 5 speed?? that price sounds like automatic flywheels. second you do have a 5 speed right??

tsuanosuke
04-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Yes, I have a 5-speed and ordered an exedy clutch kit from clutchcityonline. I don't have any mods other than a delta cam. I know automatics do not have flywheels. I was expecting to find flywheels to cost around $100 new, but when I looked at the partsamerica website I was astonished that they could be so cheap. That led me to wonder if I should just buy a new one since a resurface job is about the same price. The only thing I was worried about was the quality. Cheap price is usually cheap quality. Still debating whether I should get a new one or not. Thanks for the input though. I was just expecting someone to come on and say, "I bought a new one when I replaced my clutch and they are (bad/good/waste of money and just resurface it)."

Tuan

Vinny
04-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Parts america's are just resurfaced fly's they aren't new. They run about the same as what it will cost to get yours resurfaced maybe about 10 bucks more give or take. I looked into doing that when I did my first tranny swap but unfortunately Advanceauto couldn't even order one in. All the wharehouses showed a zero balance. Personally, I would rather have a spare flywheel already resurfaced, be it from a parts house or a salvage yard. Reasoning is, since I do all my own work, I'd rather be able to just yank the flywheel and toss it back up rather than having to yank it then run all over town to get it resurfaced.