PDA

View Full Version : corrosion in spark plug wires???

89RIDE
04-10-2004, 10:39 PM
I got home from school today and took out the 89 and noticed that it was hesitating a little right when you hit the gas until about 3000 rpm's. When i took a look at the spark plug wires and distributor I noticed that the contacts of the wire to the contact of the distributor of the number 3 cylinder had blue/green corrosion crap all over them. The other 3 contacts were fine. What does this mean? Thanks for the help.

Scott

A20A1
04-10-2004, 10:48 PM
you need to replace the wires... that corrosion probably ate thru the metal,, if not it serverely weakened it and you'll lose the good contact between the wire and the cap... I would check to make sure you put the new wires in all the way and make sure the cap and rotor don't need replacing.

89RIDE
04-11-2004, 08:05 AM
I cleaned the contacts off pretty well, and it didn't seem to weaken the metal any, but i'll check into the wires. Thanks for the help. But why did that only happen to the number 3 cylinder plug and all the rest were fine?

Vinny
04-11-2004, 08:23 AM
soak it in coke, it'll eat anything off. It works for battery cables

A20A1
04-11-2004, 10:59 AM
I think it comes from poor contact between the metals... some how the electricity going metal to air to metal, instead of metal to metal builds up that stuff quicker... I dunno. Might be moisture too?

smufguy
04-11-2004, 06:17 PM
that blue-green power is usually copper sulphide or copper dioxide. I think its copper dioxide, CuO2. anyway, Its like the battery terminal corrosion right? See that blue-green along with white powdery stuff? Its not expensive to change the wires and they are about what like $30 bux? also, the cap and rotor from bosch is only $15. Saves a lot of headache.

89RIDE
04-12-2004, 03:52 PM
I'll probably just change the wires when i get back home in like 3 weeks if the car is still running then (not from the wires, other problems). Thanks for the help

Scott