PDA

View Full Version : New Rotors!

fuzzy audio
04-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Hey all, So I new that my front rotors were glazing pretty bad. So I got the cost of what it would cost to take the car into a shop and get them ground. $150 seemed like too much. Another place was $99. Still seemed like a lot. So I went to drivewire.com and picked up a set of standard Brembro rotors for $64! I replaced my pads and shoes just to know that it had been done. But I'll say this, they don't squeek any more and for the $120 I shelled out for everything, i feel like it was worth it! Just thought I would let you all know.

Fuzzy

shepherd79
04-11-2004, 03:04 AM
if your rotors started to glaze, all you had to do is sand it with 100 grid sand paper.

fuzzy audio
04-11-2004, 09:23 AM
lol, too late now. i'm happen knowing the condition of my brakes. I'm making a 2000+ mile road trip this summer and in the end it's probably for the best.

smufguy
04-11-2004, 06:13 PM
$64 for a pair of rotors? where did you get it? That seems a little expensive, anyway, good job, were the rotors hard to get out? I have to change my rotors sometime before this year end. Have to see how the damn big rotors work. i cant believe how much cheaper parts are getting. I had a calipers quoted at $20 from autozone and yeah they are rebuilt like the axles that we get, but damn, just 20 bux? that a steal i would say.

fuzzy audio
04-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Well I got them from drivewire.com. They are Brembro so I didn't mind paying that much. No, they were quite easy to replace. Honda's caliper design is quite nice. Very easy to take on and off. It took me a couple of hours to do the front rotors, but I wasn't in a rush.

smufguy
04-11-2004, 06:38 PM
the reason i asked is because nopi sells the same brenbos, vented stock replacements, (not slotted or crossdrilled) for around $20 each. Also, what kinda pads did you use and what kinda anti-vibration grease did you use? Did u use anykinda special grease for the pins or just a synthetic grease? I have to get myself the Mobil Synthetic grease, man.... that shit is only 3 bux and its worth every damn penny.

jagojon3
04-12-2004, 08:21 AM
I use vaseline for my slide pin lubrication. Works great on every car I've don it to.

86ludedude
04-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Seems expensive to turn the rotors at my high school i was abble to turn mine for free it only took a few hours after i practiced on a old one.

soljaboy2000
04-12-2004, 10:28 AM
What is glazing? What to look for if you your rotors are going to bad. I want to change for the hell of it just to feel more better about my brakes.

smufguy
04-12-2004, 11:28 AM
glazing is what it means. just look at a glazed donut, well thats what glazing is. having a smooth coating on the outisde kinda. when u get that on the rotor, its due to high heat and results in discoloration of the rotor going from a mild amber/yellow to blue or even purple at times or both. Blue is worse and amber is starting out to be bad. THis occurs if the pads are of no good and they are not shaving off like they are supposed to and not enough friction for it to happen.

Glazing occours when there is metal on metal contact under high speeds. more like your pad shim rubbin on your rotors in a way ;)

DBMaster
04-17-2004, 05:34 PM
I used this product on mine and it worked great. It eliminated glazing and the pedal pulsation I was feeling.

http://braketru.com/