PDA

View Full Version : Time For New Car Audio, HU & Speakers

HondaBoy
04-11-2004, 09:32 PM
im looking around for what i need. i'd like to get a new head unit for one. thats my main thing. i can live with the speakers i have right now, but my kenwood head unit sucks. its old and i want to get a new one. i'll probley pawn it, not getting more than $20 for it im sure. but anyway, i went and looked at what this place here in town has. its a reputible place, one that most of the guys go to that want quality stuff. i told them i didnt want anything fancy, just a functional CD player with front and rear preouts. they showed me a Blauplunkt head unit with either 50 or 55 watts max per chanel. the said i could get it for about $170. i thought that was a damn good price. it looked like the Miami CD52 to me. maybe that was another one i looked at, but anyway, i think i would get that. as for speakers another place had Boss 6.5's for $40 a pair and the 6x9's went for $60 or $70. i like the boss speakers, i've had good luck with that brand. although i wouldnt get one of their amps, i'd get something like a crossfire. yeah i know theres better stuff, but thats what i looked at. anyway, i will probley go check out that stuff tomorrow again and get a good look at what it is.

MrBen
04-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Nooooo don't get the Blauplunkt. My friend has one and hates it, and I think it sounds like crap.

Go Pioneer or Alpine!

HondaBoy
04-11-2004, 10:04 PM
hey, you got the idea! y'all help me out with good head units to go with. im stuck on getting the boss speakers. but not stuck on my choice of head units.

Cyric_accord
04-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Pioneers rule, I have one of the first DEH-1500's still pumping it in my car, planning on upgrading to like DEH-3600 or so.

But I also have Pioneer Speakers all the way 'round, so I may be biased too :D

Moodybluesr
04-12-2004, 02:25 AM
If you wanna stick around that $170 mark, check out this Clarion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50558&item=3089957121&rd=1

or this JVC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50559&item=3090866142&rd=1

Both are extremely capable decks for the $ and are brands that I have personally trusted for the past 12 years of stereo installs.

Personally, I would steer away from Boss drivers, but if you like 'em, that's all that really matters. :D

shepherd79
04-12-2004, 03:51 AM
stay away from Blaupunk products. they suck big time.
I say go with Alpine for headunit.
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8864&qp=0&oid=68518&m=0
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8864&qp=0&oid=87530&m=0
if you go to the store, sometimes they have open box items sale. that is the best way to go. you can get awesome headunit for hole lot less money.

as for speakers, BOSS is POS brand.
i say go with alpine speakers. it is the best speakers i have ever heard and i love them.
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8868&qp=0&oid=68327&m=0
don't be cheap on speakers, because they make you music sound awesome.

P.S. you can get speakers and HU on ebay for a hole lot cheapper.

Vinny
04-12-2004, 04:34 AM
Its easier to figure out what you have to spend then look for receivers in your price range. Look on a few websites that rate electronics then search ebay for the models you like once you narrow things down

Bryan
04-12-2004, 06:15 AM
Alpine all the way with HU, and Boston Accoustic Speakers.

wallyyfm
04-12-2004, 06:27 AM
go with JVC, pioneer, or alpine for HUs, for speakers, i choose cadence

HondaBoy
04-12-2004, 10:41 AM
i was going to check through crutchfield and see what they have. or just go to the same places here in town i was checking. they have all those brands y'all listed. i'd thought about alpine stuff because i liked that before. and yeah, pioneer was one i thought about too........P.S. why do blauplunkt stuff suck ass? i thought they were good brand. maybe just people sound like they are over rated because of fancy name?

Hash_man_Se_i
04-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Alpine, Alpine, Alpine... I have the CDA-9813 and it is an awesome deck.. It may be more than you're looking to spend, but definately go with an alpine.

And as for speakers, I know you're stuck on boss.., But they suck! lol.. You could probably get in to some alpine speakers for that amount of money, or even some pioneers which would both put the boss to shame.

shepherd79
04-12-2004, 12:07 PM
why Blaupunkt sucks, well my first HU was blaupunkt and i bought it brand new. well 2 month later the radio wouldn't work and the damn manifacture wanted $200 for repair when i paid $150 just for the deck. They are overrated. i don't recomend them to anyone.

DanLXI88
04-12-2004, 12:32 PM
I have never been a big fan of Blaupunkt Head Units. I think they are sort of plain. The speakers on the other hand aren't bad. Whatever you get it's worth it to get an MP3 compatible HU I have been very spoiled with mine.

HondaBoy
04-12-2004, 07:07 PM
ah, i changed my mind. i'd go with another brand if y'all will suggest something.

MrBen
04-12-2004, 07:21 PM
I went to Walmart today and saw quite a few Pioneer head units that were very nice. It comes down to personal taste pretty much. I suggest going to an electronics store like Best Buy and checking them out. Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to this, however when it comes down to it, Pioneer is a good choice.

Moodybluesr
04-13-2004, 02:50 AM
Well, since you seem to want to stay on the cheaper side, I would suggest JBL GTO (GT or Grand Touring) series for the speakers; they have Plus One woofers that give surprising bass response for their price/size. Boston Acoustics CX/FX line if you can afford a little bit more, or some of Infinity's lower end stuff (same company as JBL).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18799&item=3090913235&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14942&item=3091272015&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

accord218
04-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Alpine, Alpine, Alpine... I have the CDA-9813 and it is an awesome deck.. It may be more than you're looking to spend, but definately go with an alpine.

And as for speakers, I know you're stuck on boss.., But they suck! lol.. You could probably get in to some alpine speakers for that amount of money, or even some pioneers which would both put the boss to shame.

yes what he said

HondaBoy
04-17-2004, 11:48 PM
ok, so i should look at some alpine stuff. i knew their head units are great, but what about their speakers? just as good? or should i go with some different brand? i think i'll look at some at circuit city and best buy if i get some time tomorrow.

Moodybluesr
04-17-2004, 11:53 PM
Alpine makes decent speakers, but they are a bit overpriced IMHO.

shepherd79
04-18-2004, 04:47 AM
overpriced? go on ebay you can find them for under $100 a pair. plus they are worth every single penny.
just yesterday i was in audio store listening to Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer, Infinity and some other brands. well IMOP Alpine was far better than any other brand.

AccordEpicenter
04-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Having owned nearly all of the brands you guys have named, id go with either an alpine or Pioneer deck with boston accoustic speakers (or infinity... just get somthing decent) ive heard alpine speakers and wasnt impressed

HondaBoy
04-18-2004, 06:03 PM
i looked at more stuff those places have. the pioneer ones they had at that 1st store had a nice one for like $180, its not fancy which i really dont want. i dont need XM radio or mp3 because i dont use that. the other pioneer they had was good for those 2 things it was over $280. then at their main store they have all the good shit. so i didnt get to see the bigger store. then i tried another place that has some good stuff. not what i'd get thought. they're the ones with the Boss speakers. still, i think i may get them. im not going to be slammin them with major wattage. those are the 6.5's and 6x9's. i think i will get those to start with. just the same i can always sell them to one of my friends or someone else if i dont like em. so im still looking for head units. i'll try best buy and maybe i'll get something from circuit city because my friends uncle works there and can hook me up with a good deal.

my86dx4dr
04-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Eclipse deck's are the best in the market, and alpine/mb quart/infinity speakers are your best bet :thumbup:

AccordEpicenter
04-19-2004, 07:02 PM
eclipse is awesome shit and so is MB quart but i think thats out of his price range

HondaBoy
04-20-2004, 08:05 PM
i'll pay the money if its worth it. i've been looking at alpine's that were like $700 something. i liked it, but not the price. that was at circuit city a while back. i think it was alpine. anyway, i'd go for something less than $350. but shopping around is always a good thing. the place that has the alpines and pioneer's has eclipse head units and speakers. but the ones they were telling me about where high priced.

soljaboy2000
04-20-2004, 09:58 PM
I have some brand new Infinity Kappa 6x9's for $80 on ebay :cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3092897301
I have a few other stuff too for sale on ebay....all brand new never opened stuff!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :deal:

my86dx4dr
04-20-2004, 10:44 PM
soljaboy, do you work in the electronic feilds?

soljaboy2000
04-20-2004, 11:30 PM
soljaboy, do you work in the electronic feilds?
Well not right now....but ever since I was in Elementary I had a gift with electronics with anything from simple RC cars to VCRs and now I am pretty much an expert at car stuff such as alarms and custom audio installations . I research a lot about custom installations and the wiring stuff like how to wire amps and subs and all that technical stuff so you wont catch your shizzle on fire....and I got it down pretty packed. And I read a lot of magazines like Car and Audio so yeah I know lot about ecletronics. I installed many of my friends amps, speakers, alarms and what not. And whats so funny is that my set up be so tight that the next thing I know I have people that I dont even telling me to hook up there shizzle because the person or whoever that had original installed for them had it sounding like garbage and stuff. I install all my car stuff myself and I know I am not an expert because I occassionally had burned an amp or have had my trunk smokin LOL but it just made me become better. :)Well....soon (August) I be going to University of Hawaii to persue a degree in Electrical Engineering so....I think I'll learn quick besides the fact I graduated H.S. with GPA-4.25 Well anyways I'll stop bragging :tongue: .....so whats up, anything you need help with????? :cheers:

my86dx4dr
04-21-2004, 12:13 AM
lol, im the same way with hookin shit up for friends, i was just wonderin cuz i checked all your auctions, and there all car audio lol

Tweek(lx-i)
04-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Pioneer, panasonic, clarion, alpine, and kenwood...are all good decks right now i have a pioneer and i love it. not to sure about interior speakers i have boss if u havnt heard of them...well neither have i but they sound really really good...and amps lightning audio(made by fosgate), fosgate, audiobahn, and kicker...good amps.Then kicker, fosgate, alpine, crossfire(good amps too).