PDA

View Full Version : what is so great about se-i

Accord7SE_i
07-13-2002, 11:37 PM
just wanted to konw why every one is wanting an se-i what do they have diffrent then all the rest. please someone tell me.:confused:

1989 DX R
07-13-2002, 11:43 PM
4 wheel discs, bose system, leather, nice tint, pgm-fi

Its very, very nice. I'd buy your car if I had the money.

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-14-2002, 01:04 AM
....And don't forget the armrest, cupholders, radio controls on steering wheel, special wheels, and Brittney Blue...Mmm mmm, I love that color! :D

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-14-2002, 01:14 AM
Almost forgot.....SE-i has dual tip exhaust as well :)

HondaSi88
07-14-2002, 06:31 AM
SEi are overrated by US! Everyone else sales them for the same price as the LXi around here! But I don't really see the big deal because if u buy them now more than likely everything is worn out!

offthahook
07-14-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by HondaSi88
SEi are overrated by US! Everyone else sales them for the same price as the LXi around here! But I don't really see the big deal because if u buy them now more than likely everything is worn out!
True. The leather will be torn up, the radio will be jacked up and rigged, the rims will be chincked up, and the rear calipers will freeze up. I owned an 89 se-i coupe and it was tight. I have an lx-i now and I'm gonna put in the cupholders and an armrest. Those are nice touches. The fact there were so few produced and they were pre Acura type rides makes them cool.

seancornelis
07-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Leather is great when it's new, but the newest SEi is 13 years old and it's leather probably isn't in the best condition anymore. Time and technology have long surpassed the Bose stereo, you can buy a higher quality CD player for about $80 nowadays. The wheels weren't so nice looking and dual exhaust on an inline engine is useless. Honda should have made the rear discs an option on the LXi though.....and the cupholder/armrest standard.

BTW, offthahook - Acura was around since 1986, the Accord SE first came out in 1981 though with leather, power windows, upgraded stereo, moonroof, etc. There was another SE in 1983, and the first SEi came around in 1985.

DBMaster
07-14-2002, 11:56 AM
The exhaust is simply a twin outlet muffler, not dual exhaust. That was just a cosmetic touch.

Come to think of it, that was pretty much the real difference between the LXi and SEi, cosmetics. Does anyone have tested stopping distances for the rear disc brakes v. drum? I'll bet they don't make much, if any, difference. They's be a lot easier to service, though.

Later,

Jims 86LXI HB
07-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Does anyone have tested stopping distances for the rear disc brakes v. drum? I'll bet they don't make much, if any, difference. They's be a lot easier to service, though.

Later,

Common now, why did you think they went to the expence of putting them on? For looks? And I've heard the argument that it's not needed on a vehicle that carries most of its weight on the front. Their are way to many standard fwd cars that the manufactuers wanted to make hotter versions of that had their rear drums replaced with rear disks are part of the upgrade. They are an improvement over drums or else they would not bother installing them.

POS carb
07-14-2002, 03:38 PM
shit man your sei only has under 50k miles :eek:

seancornelis
07-14-2002, 04:13 PM
It's true, the rear brakes on FWD cars aren't nearly as important as they are made out to be and rear drums can do the job quite well. The big advantage rear discs have is reducing brake fade considerably....and this is something you probably won't notice 99% of the time in normal driving on the street, however on the track it makes a world of difference.

DBMaster
07-14-2002, 04:47 PM
Jim, I only asked because it does not always make a really big difference on every car that gets rear disc brakes. And, yes, from what I have been reading here for the past year I would say that there are those who retrofit for the looks as you can see the brakes much more readily through many aftermarket alloy rims.

1989 DX R
07-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Yeah, gotta have the 4 wheel discs. That's the only bit of rice I would have :)

Accord7SE_i
07-14-2002, 07:57 PM
ok the rear disks are easy to maintane alot more then drums plus you can tell the diffrence big time with drums you get more of a drag feeling but disks flow alot nicer. alot less friction

Asturias
07-16-2002, 04:43 PM
Dust from the front brakes are a bitch to clean from the stock SEi wheels, though. :(

Hondastar
07-16-2002, 10:01 PM
The hell they are the my sei has brake dust guards front and rear I hardly even see brake dust.

Asturias
07-17-2002, 12:40 AM
So smart! Gotta get me some of those.

gr3k0sLaV
07-24-2002, 06:57 AM
Well I dont own an Se-i I have an Si, with standard interior, which is quite nice, even compared to newer cars. I have 4Wheel disc brakes already. And stock rims which I havent seen on any other accord, here or anywhere else.

phatazzDX
07-24-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 1989 DX R
Yeah, gotta have the 4 wheel discs. That's the only bit of rice I would have :)

Huh? :confused: How are 4 wheel disks rice? Rice doesn't help performance. 4 wheel disks help the car perform better by stopping quicker. Car makers have been doing 4 wheel disks way before the whole F&F era. How are they rice?

Unless you're just joking around?

kennycm
07-26-2002, 07:37 AM
I have one, I didn't know the difference between them. I just got it because it was the only honda in good condition, it looked so pretty sitting on the lot and (don't laugh at me) the tires were sparkling with those alloy rims.

MNLXi4D
08-06-2002, 08:25 AM
I have a 88 LXi and it has an armrest, and the lower console where tapes go. I think theirs supposed to be a cup holder there, but apperes to be missing. (Unless you put your beverage in the small slot in the console :))

amancalledcrazy
11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
ok, hi everyone, but this will sound like the stupidest question ever, especially to come from this site. what engine model does the '89 se-i have? i have one, it runs, but i want to throw some mods on (and hopefully fix the one that's on there...stupid guy...duct taped and tin foiled the air intake hose to the manifold...doesn't anyone tell these kids things like "tape melts under engine heat"?) if anyone can let me know, THANK YOU. email me at [email protected]. thanks!

2drSE-i
11-29-2005, 05:36 PM
oh let me get started on the SE-i
hehehe
leather interior
cupholder
leather armrest
speaker pods
better suspension
aluminum alloy wheels
(A20A3 engine btw, same as LX-i)
um.......im sure im missing stuff

amancalledcrazy
11-29-2005, 05:52 PM
thank you so much, i've looked everywhere i could think of and nowhere could help me. now i just have to find some parts.... i want to keep it NA, but i might have to throw a turbo in, but i'd rather it be supercharged, if at all possible. any suggestions?

2drSE-i
11-29-2005, 06:13 PM
u have no idea how hard it wil be to supercharge or turbo these engines. just stick NA

amancalledcrazy
11-29-2005, 06:15 PM
i'd hoped to find some idea, even though i really do want to keep it NA. but now i have a challenge! to supercharge or turbo one of these....wish me luck

amancalledcrazy
11-29-2005, 06:16 PM
any idea about intakes, exhausts, etc.?

Selfmindead
11-29-2005, 06:38 PM
4 wheel discs, bose system, leather, nice tint, pgm-fi
Its very, very nice. I'd buy your car if I had the money.
mm she sounds dreamy

2drSE-i
11-29-2005, 07:15 PM
well good luck, youll need it
intakes, easiest one to fab i think is the 94-97 CAI
exhaust, only one they make sucks from what im to understand, better off just going custom.

yes very dreamy, thsoe are some that i left out. the steering wheel audio controls dont work with replacement head units unfortunately :(

Not like a rock
11-29-2005, 07:32 PM
On the topic of rear discs. I find that the rear driver's side is usually siezed (two for two so far). However, after getting them fixed, I also find that they help with control on icy roads. That's only based on the observation that I haven't lost control during braking on ice since I started driving SE-i instead of EX-i.

suvsareretarded
11-29-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't see how having discs or drums would affect 'losing control of your car' on ice. That actually sounds pretty insane.

Vanilla Sky
11-30-2005, 02:37 AM
it's because you can modulate disc brakes better than drum brakes. he's able to feel when he's starting to lock up, and lets off before he loses control. simple stuff, really.

accordlxi2.0
11-30-2005, 07:30 AM
i think it was and option on a lx-i.

i had a armrest the console/w bose system.

the twin tail does do good on the engine i ad the exhuast sized up and switched to the twin tail....noticed some power up there.

amancalledcrazy
12-01-2005, 01:14 PM
thanks for all the info, i'll be sure to post some before and after shite up here, once i find our digital camera and such...*rumages through drawers mumbling, "where the hell did that get to...?"*