PDA

View Full Version : cam seal removal

rdn
04-12-2004, 05:17 AM
which is the easyest (safest) way to replace the cam seal? I would rather not lift the whole rocker arm assembly and mess with the cam position. on the other hand, there is no space at the side of the engine to knock in the new one (i have a big cruise controller unit there).

cheers!

k-roy
04-12-2004, 07:20 AM
The only way I know is to remove the cam, install the seal, re-time the block and cam to TDC.
You are lucky, you have only one cam.

A20A1
04-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Allign the cam gear to TDC after you have loosened the cam gear bolt...
you can use white out to mark the belts position on the cam gear... like color in 3 belt teeth and 3 grooves on the gear.
then you can remove the rocker assembly
well the easiest way to get the cam gear off and back on is to remove the cam, tilting the cam and gear so you can slide the belt off... and then put the belt back on when you're done and tilt the cam flat again.

While the belt is off the gear you sould add constant tension to the belt so it doesn't slip from the lower gear on the crank. This is important if you still want to be able to use the whitout allignment marks you made.

shepherd79
04-12-2004, 12:00 PM
the easiest way i found was, to use 2 zip ties and tie the timing belt to the cam gear. this way you won't mess up the timing.
loosen the timing belt tentioner.
remove the cam gear. don't lose the key.
remove the rockers.
distributor should be about by this time. and lift the cam by one side. slide the old seal out and slide the new seal on.
put everything back and you are done.
you won't mess up the timing because the cam gear and timing belt tight together.
all you have to do is install the cam gear on the cam.

A20A1
04-12-2004, 04:43 PM
ahaha, gawd damn... I used zip ties on my cam install and I didn't even mention it... fugin whiteout... I'm losin it for sure., too many late nights... not enough sleep.

edit: here is a pic... look far right.

riced_roach
04-12-2004, 09:22 PM
ahhhh guys all you do is remove the timing sprocket and then the seals will be in your face. get a self tapping phillips screw and screw it in the seal (away from the cam/seal surface- more to the outer part of the seal where it is press fit. then get a set of side cutters and pivot the cutter on the part of the head and remove the seal. WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU PULL THE ROCKERS OFF??????????

To install the new seal get a large socket that fits the outer part of the new cam seal and tap the new seal in.

Easy and this is what all mechanics do. NOT create more work.

If your going to do the extra steps like suggested on earlier posts why the heck would you put a lame stock cam(s) back in the engine. You might as well put a larger duration cam in if your doing those extra steps.

The cruise control module should unbolt easy to get it out of the way

rdn
04-13-2004, 02:19 AM
thanks for the tips guys...one more question though...riced_roach, what is a
"self tapping phillips screw"...do you have any pics/links to that by any chance?

cheers!

Moodybluesr
04-13-2004, 03:40 AM
You can also just gently pry the seal out with a flathead screwdriver once you have removed the cam gear. This is a very easy thing to do while you are replacing the timing belt; takes all of an extra 15 minutes or so. Why would you remove the entire cam just to get the seal out? That's a hell of a lot of extra pointless work, heh.