PDA

View Full Version : Yay for head!

Fueldrum
04-12-2004, 08:13 AM
gaskets that is. As in, pretty sure mine blew. Not 100% positive yet, but there's a large coolant puddle from the mid-engine. I'm gonna check it out at lunch, but if it IS a head gasket, several options.

1) Replace head gasket at local shop and all that expense.

2) Find somebody who enough about Hondas/cars to help me replace the head gasket.

3) Pull out the whole damn engine, rebuild the whole thing while I'm at it, again either at a shop or with a knowlegable person.

4) Screw this car, get another.

It's a 87 LXi Hatch with around 145,000 on it. Body has rust in the normal spots, interior is pretty damn tootin' good. It's a great car, I love driving it, but I'm a bit limited by my knowledge technically of cars to fix it myself

Thoughts? :bow: :dunno:

Silver86LX
04-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Your car has fairly low mileage for a 3g. Try and find a knowlegable person to help you replace the head gasket, and keep the car.

dub88acc
04-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Don't get a new head or a new car. Just tell the shop to shave your head and that would solve the problem. Plus it will make your car faster.

Fueldrum
04-12-2004, 08:38 AM
so any 3geer's around Kansas City who would wanna help me swap this thing if that's what I end up doing. :bow:

jlaccord89lxi
04-12-2004, 10:27 AM

Fueldrum
04-13-2004, 10:22 AM
k, good news, not head gasket, just two minor coolant hoses up the back of the block that were a bitch to spot and a bitch to fix/get to.

bad news, cooling system in the car is decaying poorly. Coolant leaks in the future are a pretty likely possibility. Several hundred bucks easy to replace, plus a radiator and heater core.

Anybody have any experience with replacing the whole cooling system? :sad2:

AccordEpicenter
04-18-2004, 07:29 PM
ive never heard anybody needing a heater core in these cars but who knows