PDA

View Full Version : Black Plastic Exterior Siding Molding Reattachment?

krott5333
04-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Well, I gotta do some body work on my car, and there is rust underneath the black plastic molding. Im assuming that when I yank that crap off that the clips are going to break, and I dont feel like messing with new clips, so my question is:

What kind of adhesive do you recommend to put that black stuff back on?

Thanks

Nospeed
04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
big hammers work great. if that dont work, try a bigger one.

i've also heard that bubblegum and toothpicks work, but i have no experience using them in a mechanical application. oh, duct tape works wonders.

but seriously, if you are doing bodywork to fix under the trim, why dont you just shave it while you're at it...

zero.counter
04-12-2004, 05:34 PM
3M double sided industrial strength adhesive. I have used it as the upper supports for side skirts with no problems. A epoxy like rubber compound adhesive is available at most auto stores for under $5 which is like dentures to gums...:)

sporkHSP
04-18-2004, 09:14 PM
just open your doors and find the little nut that holds the screw in place, after you unscrew it, push the screw part so that it is free of the hole and then pull the molding piece towards the back of the car... you should be able to slide out of most of the brackets and save them... otherwise, i have 5 extra ones sitting on my desk right here, like 2 inches from my computer... and im at the junkyard enough that i can pocket some more for you...
the adhesive idea is flawwed, because there is a relatively large gap under the molding where it doesnt touch the car...

SteveDX89
04-19-2004, 02:03 AM
Why make this hard on yourself? Go to your local Honda dealership, tell them the clips you need, buy them, and then snap the trim back on. These clips are about $2 if I remember correctly.