PDA

View Full Version : Night Time Homemade Gauges??

MyGarbageLXi
07-14-2002, 07:22 AM
hey i was wondering if anyone has pic of their Homemade whiteface gauges at night, im kinda confused on how it will look, the instructions say to glue the new faces on to the exhisting gauges, wont that jsut maket the letters glow and not the faces?? help me , im confused:wtf:

hondaaccord_86
07-14-2002, 05:50 PM
hey man,
i did my gauges and they look sweet. what i did was tape the back of them to the gauges them self. but i left a little bit of the gauges to kind of stick out, so the thing that fit around it, holds it in. but yeah, some of the guys who done it, actually glue it on.

-ed

YK86
07-14-2002, 07:19 PM
Mine's glued on and the numbers are black while the rest of the face glows an indigo-ish blue green color.

MyGarbageLXi
07-14-2002, 07:32 PM
hey thanks felllas, im still a bit confused on how the Backlight works...if the stock Gauges are Black and only the numbers light up at night and u glue the white ones right on top, how does the light shine through??? im confused
:stupid:

MiGeY
07-15-2002, 08:57 PM
I'm guessing here so I could be wrong.

I think the gauge area is lite up by a light on the top of the gauge area, at least that is what it looks like to me. Then the white paper reflects the color of the light shinning on it so they look greenish.

Like I said I could be wrong. Just what I assumed.

CoAsTeR
07-29-2002, 03:21 PM
actually the only thing the lights from the back of the instrument panel do is light up the numbers on the original faceplate. You'll notice they a slightly transparent.... but the bulb that does most of the lighting is on the top of the instrument cluster cover, which if you replace with a brighter bulb and put a blue condom over it, it will be bright enough to illuminate the gauges and give an 'indiglo' effect.
Honestly, I'm more interested in having a white faced gauge in the day... I don't care what it looks like at night, nobody usually cares, as long as I can read the gauges.....

gr3k0sLaV
08-01-2002, 08:37 AM
i ripped all thsoe front lights out and replaced them with two blue LED lamps shining on my stock black gauges, i love it...

ill have pics posted hopefully later this weekend...

MyGarbageLXi
08-01-2002, 02:00 PM
thanks for input, still no pics??? soon i hope, Me personally , i care what the cars like at night, i want it to be something people are curious about when they step into, so lets see some night pics...any one do theier whole intereior with Red Bulbs??? wanna seee.. thanks

SteveDX89
08-01-2002, 04:43 PM
I love the gauges in early 90's Maxima's. White faces with black numbers during the day. Black faces and white numbers at night. Very, very sweet.

hondaaccord_86
08-01-2002, 04:53 PM
well i dont have any pics of my gauges at night but here are what they look like in the day time. at night it was difficult to see compared to regular stock gauges at night. the mph numbers were black so it blocked out the lights from behind. that only left the lights that hung on top it to make them stand out. but i installed a small 4inch blue neon where the lights hang over, and it give my gauges a blue-ish affect to them.

89HatchAzn
08-02-2002, 05:45 AM
Ok..I'm workin' on my gauges right now...along with my clears...well my question is, "What kinda of paper did everyone use?" Also I was wondering How did everyone install the paper gauges? Did everyone have to take off the needle or what??? I ripe some gauges off at a junk yard...but I couldn't do it with out break the who damn thing.

hondaaccord_86
08-02-2002, 10:32 AM
you use photo paper. download gauge scans and print them out. yeah, you gotta take the neddles off, all you do is pull them striaght off. its a simple thing to do. then just place those over the stock gauges.

89AccordExi
08-02-2002, 11:42 AM
anyone got gauge scans already that they can hook me up with so i can print them...preferably in km/h ???

staticpat
08-02-2002, 04:52 PM
also make sure to drill out the holes for the needles big, my rpms get stuck alot because i didn't.

MyGarbageLXi
08-02-2002, 04:54 PM
heres my scans GAUGE SCANS (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bigfass2002/lst?.dir=/Gauge+Scans&.view=t)

hondaaccord_86
08-02-2002, 05:16 PM
i used an exacto knife and i traced the holes for the needles.

89accordlxi
08-02-2002, 06:51 PM
here are mine.

Peace out....

http://www.geocities.com/tvouthilak/images/whiteguagenight.gif

or try copying and pasting this link in address bar.
www.geocities.com/tvouthilak/images/whiteguagenight.gif

Coitis1
08-02-2002, 07:13 PM
the link doesn't work.

89accordlxi
08-02-2002, 07:51 PM
Whoops sorry!! Is that better???