PDA

View Full Version : shaved side moldings cost?

doug
04-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm looking for estimates on the cost of shaving the side mouldings. I would remove the mouldings to save bucks so I'm looking at labor and materials cost for welding the sheet metal filler, prep and paint the car. I've got a body shop that repainted the car two years ago so I'm thinking he could match and feather in the paint with little problem. But I'm looking to get an idea of what is reasonable amount of money for the body work. Any ideas?

BITESIZE
04-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Why don't you go down to a paint shop place and ask them?

doug
04-13-2004, 05:36 AM
Why don't you go down to a paint shop place and ask them?
BiteSize,
I've done that. What I'm looking for is some numbers for comparison. I mean I have no idea if 1200 bucks is decent or getting reamed and I've seen some cars with the work done and I was looking for some cost comparisons. I guess I just need to look up a few other shops, thing is I want the paint to be done by the guy who did the car 2 years ago so I'm just looking at the side moulding work. Now at 60 bucks an hour 1200 works out to 20 hours, but part of that is the material (sheet metal, etc), seems somewhat inflated. So I was looking for time estimates from the guys who have either had it done or did it themselves. Like how much time did it actually take to do the work, 10 hours a side? So if anybody can help with some experienced info, I'd appreciate it.

HostileJava
04-13-2004, 06:34 AM
I think your best bet is going to be to go around to different shops and ask about. You could also look through the picture section for people who have done it or have had it done and PM them.

hondamanlxi
04-18-2004, 02:09 PM
D.I.Y. ! its not that hard! pm me for details

zero.counter
04-18-2004, 02:24 PM
D.I.Y. ! its not that hard! pm me for details
Hondaman is right! Materials would not be in excess of $150 at the most, but it will take some time. I used the fiberglass method, with a layering technique. Yes, it will hold...if the correct measure are taken...

$1200 is alot, especially when it is such an old car.

hondamanlxi
04-21-2004, 07:43 PM
i got 75 in mine!