PDA

View Full Version : Insanely bad stalling/idle problem.. HELP!

Hash_man_Se_i
04-12-2004, 10:34 PM
(Long post, please read I really need help! :help: )
So...I had started a thread a while ago asking what was wrong with my accord, here is what was happening;

It seems that quite often, after I go for a long(ish) drive, I will turn my car off, and then when I return to start it up a short time after, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes almost an hour.. I start the car, it starts up well, and then the idle drops to about 600RPM, and starts to fluctuate up and down.

This makes the car shake, and fells and sounds so bad it makes me want to cry, so needless to say, I shut off the car. Then I will start it up again and usually will have to give it a rest, and then repeat this before the problem stops.
Sometimes, the idle drops so low while fluctuating, that the car stalls! :burn: :help:

Now... Fast forward a few months to today... The car had been doing this for the past few months, but it did not happen too often, so it didn't worry me that much. Even so, I sent it to a mechanic when it first started happening, he couln't find any real problem.

Now, the problem has started to occur more frequently, so about 2 weeks ago, I took my car in to Honda for a diagnostic. Well, lucky me, I get there at the end of the day, and they tell me they couldn't find any problem, and to come back when it happens every time i drive the car!! ... Now more often then before, I will go to start the car, it turns over and all, revs like it is starting, but the RPM's don't stop at idle speed, they just drop right down and the car dies!! :burn: ... And when this isn't happening, the car does the stupid fluctuating idle about 50% of the time I go to drive the car after I have driven it for more than about 25 minutes.

PLEASE HELP ME!! I am going to go insane!

Hash_man_Se_i
04-12-2004, 10:36 PM
EDIT: Also, many people on this board, and another local board told me it may be the IAC valve, however when I talked to the guys at Honda, they said that the car would not stall if it was the IAC, the idle might just be rough.

Needless to say, I am stuck, and if this problem persists, I may have to sell my SE-i, and that I really don't want to do.
Also, It is a 1989 Accord SE-i, with about 230,000 KMS.

rdn
04-12-2004, 11:39 PM
had the same problem until reparing the main relay.....no probs after that

cruznz
04-12-2004, 11:49 PM
has ecu thrown any codes?

Does it do it when cold,(when you first start it in the morning)?

Hash_man_Se_i
04-14-2004, 05:27 PM
has ecu thrown any codes?

Does it do it when cold,(when you first start it in the morning)?

Not a single code at all, and it has never done it when it was cold.. starts like a dream when its cold.

Rex
04-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Mine is having that problem still too.... what I noticed is that it never happened in the winter, only since it has gotten warm has it started again. Mine doesnt seem to be exactly as your though. It will do one of two things. It will either start and have a fluctuating idle that makes the car almost die, or I will start it and it will die right away. Try to start it again, and it will not start unless i push on the gas, and then when it does start, it seems like it is only running on like 2 or 3 cylinders. I also notcied that if it just starts really rough with the bad idle, you can tell it is really running rich, like you can smell gas. I am not sure if that makes much of a diff though. there is also no codes.
btw, it is a 89 exi

-Matt

Hash_man_Se_i
04-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Ya, come to think of it... It actually almost does seem like its only running on 2 or 3 cylinders, most likely 3, because 2 the car would probably imlode.. lol.

Anyways.. this problem is beyond me, so I think I will fit the bill, and let Honda have my car over night, so they can finally figure out whats going on.

Moodybluesr
04-18-2004, 03:58 AM
http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/electrical/main-relay/main-relay.htm

:D

Hash_man_Se_i
04-18-2004, 08:40 AM
http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/ele.../main-relay.htm

That description does not really sound like the problem I am having.. because sometimes it has happened when the interior is not warm.. probably many times... I havent really paid attention to that.

rdn
04-20-2004, 11:37 AM
i'd say..give it a shoot with the main relay....i'd bet you'll be surprized....besides 1h work and no money involved..:)