PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT, TWIN CALIPERS

smufguy
04-12-2004, 11:41 PM
I think this can be considered as a performance mod cause it boosts your stopping performance right? Well After i drove a Bently i was stunned by its braking design in the front. As i mentioned in one of my thread, i figured i would put a new thread here. Basically that Bently had two calipers in the front. One 4 piston caliper and one 2 piston caliper, in the front and rear of the disk.

I am in the process of getting my turbo parts to gether and i decided its a good time to invest in some good brakes and big brake kits that uses stock calipers are good investment for the money, but still use stock size pads and contact patch is the same, despite the rotor being big. But the big brake kits with bigger pads are not only expensive, the pads are expensive too. So i figured i would utelize my knowledge about the Bently's design to use it on my car.

I have to carefully look at the caliper design and the hook up on the arm in the front and machine a bracket that would hold the secondary caliper. If i can make it happen, it would be the first 3g with twin calipers in the front. Of course the secondary would be usign the stock size pads, hence its easier to get.

The lines for this secondary caliper is gonna run parallel with the primary in the front of the rotor. Since the brakes are hydraulic, running them in parallel would not be that bad. The only task is gonna be where to run them parallel from, I was gonna take the lines from the Propotioning valve, use custom braided hose and fittings to run two seperate lines from the propotining valve itself.

The other idea was to use the custom dual lines instead of the single rubber stock hose from the wheel well, its the same and it being hydraulic, i dont think it would be that bad.

So to summerize, The reason for this mod is to achieve close enough stopping power as those 1200 buck big brake kit for half the price utelizing available parts and some machining time. In a period of a month and a half, its going to be undertaken and possibly gonna use 6061 aluminum because its easier to get and machine and they are strong enough.

Please feel free to add your comments as in how you would tackle this project, any comment is welcome. I know this is outta some people's league and might feel stupid for some. But its a project none-the less. ;)

shepherd79
04-13-2004, 03:29 AM
you might as well get new adjustible proportion valve.
this way you will be able to dial in the right amount of pressure in the bront and rear.

Vanilla Sky
04-13-2004, 04:15 AM
i agree with shep... i've thought that this would be a good idea, but for this kind of thing, i like factory produced stuff... just opinion, but this will definately be a project to watch, and possibly copy ;)

MoonScryer
04-13-2004, 04:39 AM
......or just use the two piston caliper from a Legend GS/LS. What my plan is...

smufguy
04-13-2004, 06:58 AM
you might as well get new adjustible proportion valve.
this way you will be able to dial in the right amount of pressure in the bront and rear.

Alex where would i get an adjustable propotioning valve? Sounds like a pretty darn good idea. Hey can u cross reference me a part number for a 1st gen legend and our 88-89 lxi Brake boosters? thanks, i could not seem to find it. i guess i might need it for this project ;)

Okay how about this? http://www.magnumforceracing.com/wilwood_proportioning_residual.asp

shepherd79
04-13-2004, 09:01 AM
legend brake booster part number: 06464-SD4-010
accord brake booster part number: 06464-SE3-010
they look simular but the legend booster is 10" in diameter and accord is 9" in diameter.

smuff i think you are getting into a huge progect here.
if i was you i would find JDM accord that had B20. they had twin piston calipers on accord in japan. it will bolt up to a stock LXI hub. all you have to do after that is get JDM proportion valve or adjustible valve and you are set to go.
oh yeah cross drilled or slotted rotors.
look here: http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/about.html scroll down to suspension section and read it. we have one member from japan, so i would ask him if he can get some twin piston calipers and proportion valve.

eightyfivelude
04-13-2004, 09:10 AM
dual calipers = overkill.... you are talking like 8000lb car vs 2000lb car. One two or 4 piston caliper would be more than enough. I understand you are workin on a budget as most of us are. I would invest more time into a bigger single caliper setup.

Matt

shepherd79
04-13-2004, 09:15 AM
8000lb car? what kind tank are you talking about.

here are the part numbers for JDM twin piston calipers: 45210-SE0-936 and 45230-SE0-936. unfortunatly you can't order them from US dealers. so you will have to find some contact in Japan.

and here is the part number for brake pads for those calipers 45022-SE1-911.

smufguy
04-13-2004, 10:04 AM
This is a real unique project and its full of hurdles nonetheless. Its more of a challenge. To be honest, I am getting tired of bolt ons. There is not a lot of people out there who wants to try new things, Adapting and modifying things. I wanna walk around the parking lot and step back and look at a car twice. a car that is subtle and yet stands out to the trained eye. A car that makes ppl go wtf is it? Thats what i want my car to be like, something unique, something that never has been seen in the general public. Thats why i am spending a little bit more money and researching and seeing if they are attainable. This kinda project has never been done, and yet why should be impossible when no one has ever tried it? Is it because its hard to comprehend? Well being the engineering student i am, i might not be smart when it comes to thermodynamics and heat transfer and calc5 crap, but from experience and likings, there are things i believe i can do. And i am taking steps in my life to get there, to stand out in the public and get noticed.

To explain more, i am gonna be writing my thesis paper this summer, yeah i am still an undergrad, but i feel compelled to do something i like and prove that the ideas i have and the knowledge i have gathered can make something new and innovative and actually is easy to do and more usuable. Well, thats the story behind all these projects i am undertaking, my car and the work that is being done to it is more like my name tag, something that people would look and know whose it is and how it was made.

The rotors i am looking into are the AEM big brake and these rotors from RacingBrake whose manf is located right here in NJ. These are used in vettes and vipers and also they are going to be in SEMA this year.
http://www.racingbrake.com/images/HP%20Rotor%20page.jpg

here is the applicationg guide http://www.racingbrake.com/pdf/rbtppmproducts.pdf

Justin86
04-17-2004, 03:39 PM
hum thats is a different style then the solid rotors I got. I would be instaling them right now but I also need ball joints (not cheap). Then after the inside wall blew out my passenger front tire at 80mph I had to get new front tires ($200) So inorder of preventing my tires from blowing out every 20K I need camber kits also. Damn cheap ass Kumho tires. :pc: :321:

shepherd79
04-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Smufguy, i give you props for being diff., but i still think you are doing hard way.
if you get JDM twin calipers, you will be the only one guy in the US with original twin calipers. it should be enought to stop your car on the dime, but it is your car so do what ever you want.

smufguy
04-19-2004, 07:50 AM
I wont mind the JDM twin piston calipers, but you know i like the twin caliper idea than the regular twin piston. yeah it would be cool to have, but i am sure with the limited resourses of contacts i have and the money i have, its not possible for me to get a JDM twin piston that easy. Im also gonna be machining a lot of parts like throttle bodies and stuff for my car from a stock 6061 AL during the summer just as a project, possibly use a different butterfly with the stock or a GM TPS.

Thanks for your Input Alex, i really appriciate it man.

shepherd79
04-19-2004, 12:16 PM
hey how are you going to bore out the TB? if you do that and it works, i want one.

smufguy
04-19-2004, 12:57 PM
well, this is what i was thinking, I am machining axles and gears for my Senior project and defenitely some material would be left over, So besdies that, i am gonna order some more stock Aluminum outta my pocket and make my own custom throttle body, The I dont think its gonna be that hard, but like i said i am gonna try. If it all goes good and i get a hang of it, i might make a max of 5. I am doing this TB project because i figured why cant i do it since i am gonna be getting a turbo anyway and not be limited to it. I am also gonna get our stock Intake manifold bored out 'somehow' with some help from Mark (the dude at my college who drag races a CBX) to help me out with that.

Ill keep you in mind alex. I am thinking of even machining my own damn butterfly if i can so that i can do whatever i want as in the dimensions i want. But its just dreaming too high. Not only i am gonna get some experience in machining, i would get to use the school machine shop and hopefully get some experience working and making custom parts that can possibly go on my resume. ;)

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2004, 06:13 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WIL%2D140%2D6163%2DD

hopefully that's a good link... that's a set of wilwood upgraded brakes for the covic/teg... four piston calipers, and it's a wilwood set... i've heard they are of a great quality

smufguy
04-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Dang, that sure is a good looking piece of machinery, but what is the difference of this to the AEM big brake cause u can get the AEM big brake kit for half the price of this, yeah they are two piston rather than four.

Shit, now i am having second thoughts. :(

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2004, 06:26 PM
the AEM uses your old calipers, this one has brand new 4 piston calipers

smufguy
04-20-2004, 05:49 AM
the AEM uses your old calipers, this one has brand new 4 piston calipers

Like i said in my previous reply, the AEM does come with brand new twin piston caliper similar to stock but the wilwood is either 4 or 6.

ALso, Alex, do u think it would be bad if i use the front brake set up in the rear? I will be using an adjustable propotional valve, so it should not matter right?

NXRacer
04-20-2004, 07:36 AM
There was a guy a while back who made his own custom dual caliper setup on an audi. He made all the brackets himself in his machine shop or something. Dual calipers are more of a bragging right then anything. Get yourself a good oversided caliper and it'll work just as good with less weight. If you go with an over sized rotor and a 4 piston caliper, you'll have more then enough braking power.

shepherd79
04-20-2004, 07:42 AM
just to let you guys know. i got a hold of JDM twin calipers for our cars.
they are easy to find.

smufguy
04-20-2004, 07:45 AM
well i dont see why a dual caliper is a mere braggin rights cause Bentlys come stock with dual calipers in the front.

THe reason i was going with Dual caliper design was not only to minimize the cost on the pads and use stock size pads and not worry about ordering special pads from Either Brembo or Wilwood everytime i needed them. Also my understanding is that our calipers are Dual piston Stock right? So using two of the Dual pistons is the same as a four piston instead of having to invest in a pair or $600 brake kit and $40 worth of brake pads that i cant get in a day (Which does not really matter, but just saying).

Like i said, the main reason for this project is to use the same idea of the 4 piston but use readily available parts like a rebuilt stock caliper which costs only $20 from autozone and good brake pads for less than half the cost of those expensive brake kits.

The only downfall of this project that i can think of is the time of machining the brackets, but the Aluminum 6061 is strong enough to get things bolted on to it and they are happy with vibrations. Also the other thing that concerns me is a good brake bleed and even distribution of brake pressure across the two calipers so that there is even brake pressure on both the calipers rather than one which might warp the disk IMO due to imbalance in the brake torque.

I dont know if i will ever do this until i get more researched on this, but its a possible idea nonetheless. If i can affored brane new Calipers which are nto that expensive, I should be able to avoid Brake seizure due to imbalance totally. But we will have to see.

Also to note that the 4 piston dual caliper set up on a Bentely, stops that 2ton+ heavy car under 135feet (14 meters). So this can stop our bearly a ton car at amazing distances.

Wilwood 4-Piston, Single caliper design

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/wil-140-6163-d.jpg

AEM 4-Piston, Single caliper

http://www.coximport.com/2/aem-brk11.jpg

AEM 1-piston, Single caliper

http://www.aemintakes.com/productSubCatImages/7_1_f.jpg

Twin Caliper, 2 piston each set up on Bentley

http://www.movit.de/images/mrepben1.jpg

Twin Caliper, 4-piston each setup on a Bently

http://www.autotech-training.com/My%20Bently%20small.jpg

Single caliper, 6 piston each set up (After market for Bentleys, Vipers, etc.

http://www.movit.de/images/kf380326m1.jpg

smufguy
04-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Okay after reading thru the shop manual and reading the JDM twin piston caliper, i found out the obvious, shit our stock caliper is a single piston pos. well, seems like i have to ditch this project after all. This is really sad, but i am gonna get the Wilwood or the AEM 4 piston caliper depending on the price and maintanace issue.

For the rear, i might get the Big brake kit for the front from AEM and adapt the front Stock calipers to the rear if possible. I have to see how i can change the parking brake set up from the Drum to a disk, or just get the whole stuff from the SE-i. I dont know. There are not a lot of SE-is around here at the junkyard. So i have to see what i can do.

IF anyone has any questions about brake projects, i guess this thread pretty much summerizes why some things are possible, and why some are not. I hope new guys who are in search of something simliar to this might find their answers here. Thanks for your input people, i am glad i had feedback so that i could look into more things. Thanks a bunch again. :rockon:

Vanilla Sky
04-20-2004, 09:37 AM
i myself will be getting the wilwood kit or is SS has them, i'll get thiers...

i think SS has a 6 caliper system, though... i just don't think we'll go fast enough to need one, though

shepherd79
04-20-2004, 09:48 AM
smuff, i wasn't showing off. i just wanted to show you that it is very easy to find twin caliper setup.
combining twin caliper setup with drilled/sloted rotos and nice pads. plus SEI brakes on the back your car will stop on a dime.
with bigger calipers and rotors, you will have more chances to lock up the brakes and skid.
oh, i bet that Bently has ABS what is why it can stop the car without locking up the brakes. but if you turn the ABS off, that car won't even stop at 150ft.

smufguy
04-20-2004, 10:01 AM
I know Alex, i was not commenting on your reply, It was Caleb's reply is what i was replying to.

I dont want him to misunderstand that the twin caliper set up compared to a twin piston set up is not just for show, it has purpose too. Thats why i posted pics right after i got the reply to see more and actually find out if they had a spec sheet of an actual data.

PS: Alex, if you are talking about the caliper set up on the JDM 3g, its a twin piston and not a twin caliper like u say :tongue:
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/photos/about/brakes1.jpg <<< Twin piston

shepherd79
04-20-2004, 11:16 AM
dude, it is been one long day and it is not over yeat. i too damn hot for me. it is 73 deg out here. i am melting. i am from Siberia were the temp don't get this high till late june.

NXRacer
04-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey smurf, i totally understand what you're trying to accomplish. It would be tight as hell to have twin calipers. But im just wondering if the time and effort it would take to get it working would be worth the extra stopping power. Unless you're doing competition autox or something, i dont think its worth it. If i were you i'd spend the couple grand you'd put into a custom brake setup into the turbo build up. Just my $.02

Justin86
04-20-2004, 01:50 PM
well if you just want to drag the car I wouldn't waste money on a project like this. Nut like me and others we want to drive our turbo everyday and stop also. I won't get the bigger calipers but I want to use 16's and not go bigger like the 4 piston calipers require. so for me it's all about having the bigger rotors but also keeping 16's.

smufguy
04-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Well the AEM big brake kit fits under 16 inch rims, and i dont see why the 4 piston wilwood wont. It cant be any bigger than 11 inch if i am not mistaken. If thats a huge factor. I can always get the calipers seperate for 50 bux and get seperate discs.

If i still wanna go with twin caliper, which i am not anymore, all i have to spend is 250 bux for the front AEM big brake kit, and $40 for a rebuilt calipers (pads excluded) and with a lil bit of machining, i got myself a twin caliper set up for under 300 bux. Its not even much and that pretty much covers the front.

My great misunderstanding was believing that our stock calipers were twin piston which is why i even started a thread like this. So now i know i dont want to do it because our stock calipers are stupid single piston, so its defenitely not worth it. Also, to say that if only our cars came with twin piston calipers (pistons on opposite sides, instead of the same side like the JDM) i would have considered understaking this project. But now, i rather go with the 4 piston calipers.

Justin, I am gonna get this car to the track, and also its going to go for autocross sometime after i finish everything up. yeah i am also doing the turbo and i am doing it for a lot less cause of my manager. Everything is gonna be finished up before this year and hopefully 75% before the end of the summer. Also, the A20 is getting rebuilt soon with lots of good stuff and hopefully lowered to 8.5:1 compression if i can if not just use the stock compression ratio. But as of priliminary set up, its gonna push around 200whp no less if possible, and later one with the motor work, i am going for around 300whp with lots of custom work being done to it by me. ;)

dvst8rcbr
04-23-2004, 03:33 PM
Well I don't stop in here much anymore, don't have a 3rd gen anymore, not even a honda, just was gettin gsome info for a friend who is doing a super budget turbo project ie less then $300 cdn for eveyhting. Wow I am off topic already :uh: . Any way the point of this post is that brakes change rotating energy into heat energy. Therefore the only way to stop faster is to convert more energy. So to do this you need more surface area of the brake pad, hence "Big brake kits" or to add a second caliper as found on many high performance, or heavy weight vehicles. Yes mulitiple pistons help but they just distbute the load over the pad better, so givin the same size pad they will both have ultimately the same maximum energy conversion capacity. With this being said you will have more feel and control with the twin piston as well as slighty higher real world stopping power due to the better use of the pad. However with this all said using two single piston stock calipers, will DESTROY a similar sized single caliper twin piston setup due to the huge amount of surface area difference. Now if it was me going to all this trouble and I had the ability or the shop ability to make up the second bracket for the second caliper I would choose the dual calipers without a second thought.

Now for the actuall aplication if you run the lines in paralell with the orinal and you use the same length of line, as well as the same caliper, and pad, you should be so close to the same pressure that you would not need to diferentiate the pressure between them. Having and adjustble proportioning valve for front to rear bias is handy though :).

With all of this being said what I would do in your positon is use the sloted or cross drilled rotor, with a dual caliper setup using the twin piston calipers from the legend that someone else had mentioned, and a good quailty "medium compound" racing pad, so as not to wear out once a month :rolleyes:, and with that you would have unbelivable stopping power. If you still needed more, or jsut wanted to go with the nice look of rear disks, I would convert to the sei rear setup with the slotted or cross drilled "racing" rotors, the same medium compound pad, and just the stock caliper, with an adjustable proportioning valve for front to rear bias, you would have a great looking and stopping setup. I would be willing to say that you would be close to having the stopping power of a porche 911, or 944 turbo, mabey even 911 turbo. DON'T give up on it, it is a great idea.

One last thing as this is turning into a novel, why go to the expence of 6061, why not just use mild steel, plenty strong, easy to weld, easy to machine, and cheap, won't add that much weight for a small bracket.

well there is my 2 cents.

Ps. ignore the spelling it has been a long day.

Justin86
04-23-2004, 08:41 PM
damn that was long......... well I was looking around the j/y toady at the brakes. pretty mush all the Honda's and Acuras I look at the rears are the same but the 5G accord has twin piston caliper fronts and bigger pads then the others. thinking about snatching those to see how they work.

smufguy
04-23-2004, 10:26 PM
the single piston, 2 piston and 4 piston pads are all of different size pads right off the bad. THey cant be interchanged, even on the opposed 2 piston caliper even tho their size is similar to the single piston caliper.

Anyway, its not worth it because a 4 piston caliper is better when it comes to the time and money used and my project idea was actually due to my misunderstanding that our cars came with 2 piston calipers, but apparently i was dumb.

But since our cars will not be going at any speeds more than 130mph or even i will be not driving anyclose to that speed cause i am done with getting tickets, i guess the two caliper is good idea, but for a single piston caliper and two of the single piston caliper is just not worth it.

I am still looking into Big brake kits, that do not utelize the Stock caliper, but i will be using the stock front size caliper and pads to the rear.

Justin86
04-24-2004, 09:15 AM
I am still looking into Big brake kits, that do not utelize the Stock caliper, but i will be using the stock front size caliper and pads to the rear.

Hold up so you want brake kits that dosn't use stock calipers but then you say you will use stock calipers. I'm so lost. There are big brake kits that have 4 piston calipers but they are $1500-2000 for just the front set, but you have to use a 17" wheel.

shepherd79
04-24-2004, 10:33 AM
i think smuff doesn't know what he wants. LOL. the way i see, he keeps jumping from big brake kits to stock JDM kit.

smufguy
04-24-2004, 10:24 PM
hahahaha, well i want a 4piston caliper brake in the front, and 'big brake kit that uses stock calipers in the rear' get it? :tongue:

Justin86
04-24-2004, 10:24 PM
i think smuff doesn't know what he wants. LOL. the way i see, he keeps jumping from big brake kits to stock JDM kit.
Well damn he has got me spining in circles, I'm so lost. :uh:

smufguy
04-24-2004, 10:54 PM
i dont know why you guys cant understand it. I said i want the 4 piston caliper brake kit up front and the AEM big brake kit that is used for the fronts, I am gonna use that for my rear, thats what i said.

shepherd79
04-25-2004, 03:07 AM
why would you want your brakes be almost equal in size.
the fornt brakes always do 75% of the braking job. your rear brakes just help to keep the car from spinning plus the e-brake thing.

smufguy
04-25-2004, 06:56 AM
i figured i dont have to change the rear that often and also since im using adj prop valves, i shpuld be okay, but its still a thought. :)

smufguy
05-06-2004, 08:03 AM
okay back to the worthless thread :rollseyes:. hehehe :D. I talked to Wilwood tech dept and since the rotor is 12.19" in dia without the caliper on it, They said that 17" rims are normally used for it. also they mentioned that any Rim with an inside diameter of 14" and 1.75" of space behind the hub face, it should clear the caliper and rotor, caliper mostly cause its the far end of the brake system.

Now i have to find a rim that is 17" or a rim that has an inside diameter of 14" and hub face space of 1.75". this 1.75" clearence translates to 44.45mm does that mean i defenitely need a wheel with 45mm offset? I hope my understanding is right.

train
10-06-2004, 07:49 PM
smufguy, i'm kinda disappointed that you gave up on the twin caliper idea. it is sort of a radical idea, but just because stock calipers are single piston calipers doesn't mean it won't work or that its a bad idea. like you said, you can get reman 3g calipers for dirt cheap at an auto parts store, so parts will be very inexpensive to replace if they needed replacing. i think it would be a neat idea to try this instead of spending $2k on a big brake setup.

machine your bracket to hold the secondary caliper, like you said you would, and run the brake lines parrallel to the primary caliper's lines, like you said you would, and attach a T fitting to the master cylinder to provide for both the brake lines. a jdm master cylinder from a twin piston setup would be a good idea since it probably creates higher pressure than a single piston master cylinder (you might want to look into that). i'd use a GSR front brake setup in the rear (after converting to discs or course), so you're front/rear braking ability isn't way off. an adjustable proportioning valve is a good idea, like people said. i'd say you could spend under $500 on this setup and have some great stopping power. like dvst8rcbr said, a greater amount of surface area to grab on is gonna help you out a lot. later on down the road if you decide that your braking ability still isn't as good as it could be, you could upgrade to twin caliper jdm twin-piston calipers in the front. they would bolt right up. whoa, twin twin piston calipers. lol.

you seemed so set on this project at the beginning of this thread. even when people advised that you just get a brake kit, you wanted to engineer something yourself. you can still do it. like i said, just because stock calipers are single piston calipers doesn't change anything.

smufguy
10-06-2004, 08:33 PM
the problem is always cost vs benefit. With our 3g limited on tire size and also limited via no ABS. this is pointless. I was looking into soo many things and the max we can safely run are 12" rotors and no more. this is because, these require 17" rim and even that is pushing it. Since the car is gonna be a daily driver with crazy milage on it ( i put about 25K in a year) this project is not worth it. Im moving to improving the rear.

I was looking and calling all the guys i know and seems like for the price and the performance, im sticking with the wilwood up front. This is because no one makes aftermarket twin piston (inline pistons) besides baer and even their set up is twice the cost of my wilwoods. so my tackle is actually figuering out how to get around the rear. I was gonna use electronic parking brake set up via solonoids. More of a line lock (used in drag race) set up but with our diagonal brake distribution set up, it proved nothing.

im putting my engineering brain and ideas into my motor and the turbo. Mainly the turbo. its gonna be sick, im still drawing up my manifold designs and running tests on em to find out how they will be. And finding someone to make me one is just a lil bit hard. But trust me, once the design is made, i will make sure that i have it available for others so that they can use this to make their own.

Back to brakes, im actually looking into adapting first gen legend parts (some already fit directly like calipers and shit) so that we dont have to scramble for the sei. My problem is actually finding some spare time to actually go around the junkyard and dealerships collecting part numbers.

Believe me, trying to adapt a civic brake kits are not quite easy as all for a normal guy. Thats why when im done with this, everything is gonna be at peoples fingertips. Its gonna be in the mid of next year. but people who are around till then, will find a lot of work is already cut out for them.

PS: The Brake lines have pressure upto 2000 psi and anything not screwed in and bolted in, like a T splitter held by clamps, will just push open in no time and with the heat and repeated usage, it wont last. It will be a thing of regular maintanance and inspection every couple of hundred miles and its something nobody wants to keep doing.

Hope this helps you train. WElcome to the board and i am sure a lot the projects u come across here will help u.

NXRacer
10-07-2004, 07:21 AM
i've read about people trying to do twin caliper setups and it seems that for the extra weight and work thats involved, the increased breaking power isnt that great. I think it would be a better idea to invest your time and energy into looking at what other honda's brake system might be adapted to ours. The 5th gen accords can use the NSX calipers and Acura CL rotors which is a HUGE improvement over stock. Working on something like that seems like a better idea then trying to jimmy rig a dual caliper setup.

Vanilla Sky
10-07-2004, 07:32 AM
praveen, i can help you out a lot with the parts numbers... PM me or email me at [email protected]

train
10-09-2004, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=smufguy]
PS: The Brake lines have pressure upto 2000 psi and anything not screwed in and bolted in, like a T splitter held by clamps, will just push open in no time and with the heat and repeated usage, it wont last. It will be a thing of regular maintanance and inspection every couple of hundred miles and its something nobody wants to keep doing.
QUOTE]

the T fitting would be made for a brake system. you can prob find an over-the-counter T fitting. if not, you can have any manufacturer of brake lines make it for you. either way, it will be designed to hold the pressures of a hydraulic brake system, so it won't blow apart. holding it in by clamps is not what i had in mind at all. but if you've made your decision, thats it i guess.

thanks for the welcome.

smufguy
10-11-2004, 06:41 AM
for the time and money, its just not worth it and its not possible without having to run some serious numbers on the knuckle to get the extra bracket machined to hold it up there and even then, with no solid support on the right side (looking at the Driver side disk) the caliper would fiex and would be a lot more of a headache. Trust me. When i get the 4 piston caliper in there by next year, it will be something. All i have to worry about is getting the twin piston rear caliper set up with the parking brake in it. I have to get a different prop valve, i dont know if the Se-i will help, but i have to see what i can do and also im actually looking into something really un-thought of to get my 4 disks work good. U will be suprised what i got in mind.

ANyway, this is it. The two floating caliper is just not worth it, It woudl be a great improvement to use the JDM twin piston claiper. But for some, even they are not enough. My car like said in previous thread, is gonna be a daily driver and also its going to go into car shows once its done. This project along with my other projects are gonna take a lot of time, hardwork and lots of money. But it will be a statement none-the-less.

train
10-11-2004, 05:18 PM
thats cool. do what you gotta do.

3gmodifier
08-16-2006, 06:45 PM
ok so some said they can easly get the jdm twin piston calipres. well i am 90% done with my jdm conversion. i need those and i cant find them. any info

shepherd79
08-17-2006, 05:39 AM
for starters you should do the search
here is one of the members selling them.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53716

or you can contact this junk yard in New Zeland and see if they can get them for you.
http://www.stronghonda.co.nz/

rjudgey
08-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Shame you guy's aren't over here or i could have sorted you out with some of these!! I think the DX 2G lude caliper bolt pattern is the same as yours if not theres allways swapping out the whole knuckle for a Lude one!!
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/281000-281999/281725_5_full.jpg
Best of all there nearly 300mm and they fit under a 15" Rim so no nasty Blingy 17" rims required!!
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/281000-281999/281725_8_full.jpg

rjudgey
08-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Are whats with Cardomain!!!
Sorry guy's you'll have to look at the link again!! I think i'm gonna have to setup my own site at some point!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/281725/3