PDA

View Full Version : air conditioning

biggybaz
04-13-2004, 05:30 AM
does anyone know what gas our car use for there air con units?

Vinny
04-13-2004, 05:32 AM
originally they used R-12. Your car may still be setup for R-12 or it may have been converted to 134A. You would have to check the hi and low side fittings.

biggybaz
04-13-2004, 05:36 AM
hi and low side fitting? sorry my friend you lost me a bit.

biggybaz
04-13-2004, 06:12 AM
can someone explain what i should look for. and how much it may cost to have it converted. many thanks guys

accordlxi2.0
04-13-2004, 06:25 AM
first you should check to see what a/c compressor you have the denso is longer that the kihen?
ummm . . . . .the kihen is as long as the alternator, but the denso is longer.
if you have a denso then continue cause it can handle r134

total cost maybe around 30 dollar's cuase you'll need a bottle of a/c sealant, and maybe about 2-3 cans or r134a refridgerant.
than there's the fittings plus sticker's for the conversion.

Vinny
04-13-2004, 06:49 AM
where exactly are you located? I see you own an aerodeck. Its almost impossible to give a specific price since shop rates vary from place to place and we don't knopw the condition of your AC system. If its been open then you will need to change the filter dryer, again cost depends on where you are if outside the US.
I'm not a big fan of the 12-134a swap in a box setup. I beleive that if you are going to do it do it right. Have the system evacuated, then flushed, then replace seals and O rings, fill with the proper type and amount of oil, have i vacuum pulled to make sure you have no leaks and no moisture in the system, then have it serviced. That being said........
Best bet would be take your car in and get an estimate from a reputable shop