PDA

View Full Version : b18 torque?

HatchCord
04-13-2004, 06:23 AM
i am thinking of sticking a gsr engine in the old hatch. thing is i really like the a20, it isnt the highest revving or most powerful but it is balanced and moves the car pretty damn well. the gsr although i am skeptical about, i think it might not have the torque of the a20, if any one has any opinions or a little insight maybe you can help me out.

on a second note. i have looked on sean's site but haven't found any complete turbo engine packages. does anyone who knows him know about how much they might run?

the a20 is my first option, b20 would be nice but i havent found a 5speed for it, and b18 is just theoretical. thanks guys and sorry for the long post. :help:
:lock: <--- that guy rules lol

shepherd79
04-13-2004, 09:09 AM
B18c1 from 94-00 integra 170hp@7600 / 128lb-ft@6200 it comes with Y80 tranny.
you will need YS1 tranny because it is cable tranny.

HatchCord
04-13-2004, 09:27 AM
128 isnt much more than the a20. i really like the a20 cuz its really balanced and i dont wana stick something soo revvy in there. i wana be able to use my power without having to go to like 6

k-roy
04-13-2004, 09:33 AM
B18 and torque in the same sentence is funny.

HatchCord
04-13-2004, 09:37 AM
haha, you make a point kroy. i know someone is gonna come in here and dispute how it dosent matter that the torque is so low, that a gsr can beat an a20 any day. thats true but i dont care.

i guess i have decided the a20 is the engine for me, specially after talking to sean.
i want to have useable power, and not have to wait till 5k to have stupid vtec kick in.

k-roy
04-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Just get a turbo so you san slap around a GSR. Get ahold of Sean directly, his info is on his site.

Swaps are expensive and require a lot of running around just to get every little last part.

HatchCord
04-17-2004, 12:57 PM
no one will swap the gsr into my car, every shop ive talked to says they dont wana do it. i think thats just bs. turbo is what im doing now. i just need a rebuilt engine or a shop that will rebuild it at a reasonable price.

Project-LXi
04-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Uhm... and A20A3 is what? 122 ft/lbs?? so.... uhm ya

k-roy
04-19-2004, 05:23 AM
no one will swap the gsr into my car, every shop ive talked to says they dont wana do it. i think thats just bs. turbo is what im doing now. i just need a rebuilt engine or a shop that will rebuild it at a reasonable price.

Man if you are going to pay a shop for a swap be prepared to take a BIG hit to your finances. Good luck finding any joe schmo greesemonkey who can pull it off. You gotta find a import tuner shop where the big boys go for their Supra's and RX7s. My friend paid 3 grand for just the labor in his custom Honda swap from a highly known import tuner shop.. Thats on top of 5 grand in parts. So $8,000 later he has a mostly stock Honda engine installed.

Morpheus
04-19-2004, 06:33 AM

B16 and torque in the same sentence is even funnier. :D

ivanfbi
04-19-2004, 07:47 AM
I don't really think that Vtec is the most important thing...I would prefer B20 which has at least Twin Cam.(comparing to Soch on A20)

ivanfbi
04-19-2004, 07:48 AM
And also B20 has 140ft/lb of Torque, while B18-128...think about that

Kevin
04-19-2004, 08:12 AM
your stupid!!! The gsr moter will rape the shit out of the little a20!! With your a20 you should pull civics off the line but they will rev out and rape you. GSR will pull right off the line. The gsr is alot better moter comparing stock to stock.

shepherd79
04-19-2004, 12:27 PM
yeah the B series motors are high reving motors, and that they can outrun A20 motors, but look at bigger picture. lets say you wanted to drop GSR motor into 3G. $1500 for motor mounts and axels. $350 for wire harness (it has to be adapted). $3000-4000 for GSR motors, i don't know the price for them right now. after adding all this up you end up spending $4850-$5850, lets say $6K ruffly you probably would want to get new timing belt and some ther parts.
if i take that $6K and talk to SEAN, i can buld a monster A20.
so how you have one car with GSR motor and one with all build up A20 turbo motor. Which one do you think going to outrun?
so before you say GSR is better motor overall, think twice.

Justin86
04-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Yea I was going to say the same thing. If you really had the money for a GSR swap you could replace the internals, bore and stroke kit, something like that by changing the stroke ratio will help to really make that motor kick ass. I know Matt with his GSR swap he did a bore and stroke kit to 2.0L and the motor will be one badass NA set up. but it won't be cheap, he has easly spent over 10K on it and he's still not fully done.
Pretty much fast is fast it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Project-LXi
04-20-2004, 11:59 AM
yeah the B series motors are high reving motors, and that they can outrun A20 motors, but look at bigger picture. lets say you wanted to drop GSR motor into 3G. $1500 for motor mounts and axels. $350 for wire harness (it has to be adapted). $3000-4000 for GSR motors, i don't know the price for them right now. after adding all this up you end up spending $4850-$5850, lets say $6K ruffly you probably would want to get new timing belt and some ther parts.
if i take that $6K and talk to SEAN, i can buld a monster A20.
so how you have one car with GSR motor and one with all build up A20 turbo motor. Which one do you think going to outrun?
so before you say GSR is better motor overall, think twice.

Actually Mounts + Axles + Wiring Harness + Shift Linkages = slightly over $1500 after tax. And if you look in the right place you shouldnt ever pay more than $3000 for a GS-R motor, esp considering the popularity and increasing availabilty of the K20A, which the engine alone costs about as much as everything ive put into my car for this swap.

As for an monster A20, yes its far easier, and cheaper in the long run, BUT you simply cannot say its a better overall motor, your just plain wrong. You can argue it until your blue in the face but for an A20 which has next to no aftermarket support for high end N/A mods, really the only thing you can do is turbo it, and you'll need to turbo it just to match or beat the hp of 100% STOCK b18. You can argue that with a b18 you have to wait for VTEC to kick in... well guess what, ever heard of turbo lag?? :nuts:

In conclusion, Im not saying Sean's turbo is a waste of money or anything like that, in fact I think its the best way to go for most people wanting to supe up their Accord. The only thing I dont like is people thinking the A20 is a superior engine to the b18... please, for your own sake, buy a clue.

Justin86
04-20-2004, 01:37 PM
The B18 is better in many way to the A20, I cn agree with that just like the A20 has the advantage on some stuff, but the B18 will take the cake of power output, that can't be argued. As for the price of going fast and what actually gets you going down the 1/4 faster that can be argued.