PDA

View Full Version : Distributor O ring seal

HondaBoy
04-17-2004, 03:11 PM
ok, now that ive for sure found that the mysterious oil leaks is mostly comming from the distributor, i ordered the O ring. its the one that goes where the distributor bolts up to the cylinder head. it was like $4 something. had to order it from the dealer ship because no parts stores carried it or could order it. i dont know if i need to order anything else like the coupling set. anyway i cant wait to get that put in because the oil drips onto the exhaust down pipe. i thought it was on the manifold, but it just gets on the downpipe. then it smokes and i hate that. i feel all wierd when it smokes and im sitting in traffic. its not like a great cloud of smoke, but just a haze. doesnt happen if i wipe off the pipe before driving it. should get the O ring about friday of next week.

shepherd79
04-17-2004, 03:32 PM
it could be your valve cover gasket, or oil O-ring for oil filter base.

Justin86
04-17-2004, 03:43 PM
well I got all new gaskets and they still leaked. You might what to add some RTV to the gasket to ensure perfect seal.

HondaBoy
04-17-2004, 03:45 PM
nah, its got a new valve cover gasket with some silicon seal or what ever stuff. what i did was wipe all oil and caked on stuff from around the distributor, cylinder head, and block. i can see where the oil seeps out of the bottom of the distributor. its only on the front side in the corner that points towards the battery area. i'd thougt it could be the head gasket, but its not leaking from there. i could have had an easier time using some dye in the oil. i think its floresent and can be seen with a black light. i know thats what they do at Pepboy's if you get a leak check on coolant or oil.

HondaBoy
04-22-2004, 05:52 PM
i'd ordered the O ring last week and it should be here tomorrow. i was looking on instructions in my repair manual on what to do to fix it. i know you have to take the distributor off. apparently its near impossible to reinstall it wrong. ok, so do any of y'all have pix of the distributor taken off? has anyone done this and should i look out for any problems? i wouldnt want to have it off and then need something else to go along with it. i should get to that on saturday if i have the time. i'll probley have to work in the garage because its supposedly going to rain. hope not. so, y'all help me out here.

k-roy
04-22-2004, 05:57 PM
it could be your valve cover gasket, or oil O-ring for oil filter base.
How could it be for the filter base if it leaks onto the exaughst manifold?

All you have to do is mark the distributor location with a sharpie between the dizzy and the head. That was it will line right back up. There is either 2 or 3 bolts that hold it in place and thats about it. You should probably use carb cleaner, brake-kleen or degreaser and clean up that area with the dizzy off. Then use a little bit of silocone on the new ring. Its pretty simple and straitforeward.

Oh and did you get new grommets for the mounting holes on the cover with the valve cover gasket? I think you can only get those from the dealer.

HondaBoy
04-22-2004, 08:36 PM
no, didnt get the new gromets. but i will look into that. yeah, i think only the dealer can get these parts........ah, just remembered the mechanic that worked on it last used silicone gasket maker. works great! and the gromets werent too bad either.

Vinny
04-23-2004, 04:22 AM
you can get the grommets from local parts houses as well as the dealer, wlthough they usually need to be ordered. The hatch had a severe leak on the dizzy O ring. If its leaking all aound the edge of the block, onto the engine id plate, and around the timing hole more than likely its the dizzy. I've got every seal and gasket imaginable comming in here in the next few days so I'll let ya know how that nightmare comes out

HondaBoy
04-23-2004, 10:19 PM
there ya go Vinny! thats exactly what its doing! damn, i went today to get the part and guess what, i have shit luck. lol. the parts truck broke down in San Antonio. thats not that far away. they said it possibley would get here tomorrow or monday. i really hope tomorrow it gets here. oh, and the guy i need to talk to about getting a job there wasnt there. he's out of town on a buisiness trip. so, no luck on either thing. i'll just call tomorrow instead of driving over there. i love it when the sales guys come out to check my car out. they always say its in such good condition. i dont think so, but then im a perfectionist i guess. anyway, tomorrow lets hope for that part getting there.

k-roy
04-24-2004, 12:35 AM
haha, I think my o-ring is leaking now.

bobafett
04-28-2004, 11:41 PM
i think mine is too after i had the dizzy off a few times when changing my cam! ;) tomorrow is my day off, so i will try to get that fixed and i will let u all know how it goes!

HondaBoy
05-06-2004, 02:04 PM
well, i finally got this damn O ring! i ordered April 15, now its May 6, thats exactly 4 weeks. well im glad its here anyway. seems it had to be ordered from Japan. no wonder it took so long. well, if things work out right, i may put it on. hope that will stop the leaking distributor. it should. this shouldnt be too much of a bitch, at least its on the top half of the engine!