PDA

View Full Version : rally-type setup

Vanilla Sky
04-18-2004, 02:03 AM
well, since i know my car will never be truly fast i figure i'll work in the handling department... and around here, we have a lot of dirt roads that you can do whatever on, so i figure it would be fun to set up a rally accord... thing is i don't want to lose the functionality and handling on the road... i want a setup where i can change only my springs and struts and still have a good street car... maybe even better would be a car where i didn't need to change the springs, just the ride height... i plan on doin it over time, but still doing this thr right way... GCs and revalved bistiens are the spring/strut choice, i decided on that because GC offers so many spring rates, and bilstien will revalve to your specs... i know i need new sway bars, but what size? and if i'm doin anything offroad i'll go for some frame strengthening...

so, what am i gonna need, mostly askin spring rates and sway bar sizes... i know if i were going with a road setup, i could just search, but there is only one thread about this, and it's not as indepth as i need... thanks all

k-roy
04-18-2004, 05:00 AM
Two words
Custom Parts
Have fun busting driveshafts. :cheers:

PS.
You should spy on these guys, http://www.nasioc.com/

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2004, 12:49 AM
i don't think driveshafts are gonna be that much of a problem... if they were so weak, then why hasn't sean or johnny-o twisted them off yet?

k-roy
04-19-2004, 05:31 AM
Have you ever watched WRC? More specificly the Acropolis Rally? Back when I lived in Athens my dad had a 70 Ford Torino with a 9 inch rear end. One day he was driving through the mountains, probably one of the roads the race is on now , and snapped the rear axle in half on a rock going doing 50MPH. Thats a Ford 9" rear end, one that can stand up to 500 ft/lbs of torque. The casing weighs over 100 pounds alone. My point is if something like that can break so easily then these little toy axles in our cars don't have a chance in hell of standing up to a rally.

smufguy
04-19-2004, 05:37 AM
i don't think driveshafts are gonna be that much of a problem... if they were so weak, then why hasn't sean or johnny-o twisted them off yet?

you dont wanna know how many axles Jhonny busted ;). Also your rally accord needs to be running higher than stock, instead of lowering it, so i wonder which suspension set up would let you do that, well coil over is an option, but i highly doubt, if they would raise your car above stock height, also, you might wanna move ur tank somewhere else than the bottom. :omg:

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2004, 05:55 AM
well, then i guess i'll be making custom axles, eh? the fuel tank will stay there, but it will get a skid plate, the front will get one as well... BTW, i won't be racing in rallies, i just would like to have the setup so i can toy with offroad racing...

if i'm not mistaken, the coilovers will get me a ride height over stock, and if they don't, ill order taller springs and when i'm done offroad, i'll drop it down to stock height, assuming the struts are effective that far out... they may be completely extended with the height i would want, so i guess i would have to deal with that somehow... i know it can be done, but i'm not sure how...