PDA

View Full Version : helicoil not a good idea in hondas???

mycarhatesme
04-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Trying to research this...to find out if what this one mechanic said is true:

89 accord LX, carb.
Had a cross-threaded spark plug. so we ripped that out and put in a helicoil....now, poor fluctuating idle, smokes white a small amount at startup, when it's at the lowest idle (sputtering), a bit of liquid sputters out the tailpipe, stalling unless one foot is on the gas at all times while in drive. seems like poor compression. someone told me "oh, helicoils are great. but never EVER on a honda cylinder head"

anyone else have this experience?

also, anyone got a quick fix for this? besides *sigh* replacing the head?

POS carb
04-18-2004, 01:20 PM
helicoil should work, hwever white smoke is bad could mmean other problems like leaking head (cracked)

a20ricer
04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
i did it on mine a few months ago and it runs fine. now which heli coil did you use? the regular spring looking insert or the actual spark plug thread repair one that looks more like a tube with threads on the inside and out. you gotta use the right one on the aluminum head.

zero.counter
04-18-2004, 01:48 PM
I have not heard that one, but will take it as a precaution...

lostforawhile
08-02-2006, 10:29 PM
that mechanic is full of a certain substance that comes from a male cows ass. it doesn't matter what brand the car is,a helicoil is a helicoil. an aluminum head is an aluminum head. just don't buy the off brand helicoil. buy the correct spark plug helicoil. it's possible he screwed up your cyl head because he didn't know what the hell he was doing also.

A18A
08-02-2006, 10:58 PM
i was just reading a thread about 5 mins ago on heli-coil lol, and u come and bring back a 2 yr old thread haha

A20A1
08-03-2006, 12:19 AM
I call it watching after "The Watcher" who seems to be in there a bit... anyways go into the quick links on the tab bar at the top of the page and click on "Whos online"

Then you can visit the thread they are viewing.

I use it a lot to see what people are searching for and try to update the threads they are in to include more recent info or add links to more helpful threads.