PDA

View Full Version : Storing car for two months

valerit1
04-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Hi,

I am going to leave my car for two months on the
covered parking in the dry, extremely hot (Southern
Nevada) climate. Any suggestions what I should do before
to avoid technical problems? It is accord 1987 LXi.
Thanks,

Val

zero.counter
04-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Cover all open holes in the engine bay, check for excess moisture, ensure that adequate air is in the tires, think about the bugs...

cahil_1
04-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Wrap up the distributor with a plastic bag to seal out moisture. Contact points can inside can corrode-- seen it happen before.

k-roy
04-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Dont even worry about covering up everything under the hood. Make sure it has a fresh coat of wax on it and that its covered. Either with a car cover or at least in some shade. I would make sure its low on gas, under 1/4 tank, and pour some fuel stabilizer in the mix. Two months is not a long long time. Oh and fresh oil too. When you go to start it up again let it idle for a good 15 minutes and top it off with some fresh gas. You should be fine, its not a big deal.

sleepee
04-25-2004, 08:05 AM
oh snaps you in vegas?

zero.counter
04-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Dont even worry about covering up everything under the hood. Make sure it has a fresh coat of wax on it and that its covered. Either with a car cover or at least in some shade. You should be fine, its not a big deal.
Actually, 2 months in the spring/summer time is long enough for things to crawl up and make a home, especially spiders, ants, and roaches. Experience dictate the necessity, which some may lack. If you would like, I can send some pictures of my latest project S13 after it was in my driveway with a car cover for a littel over a month. It is quite nasty, and being in the shade has its ups and downs.

BTW, this is an old thread, I figured that you would have caught it prior...

k-roy
04-25-2004, 03:49 PM
You consider a week to be old? :nuts:
I got a car that has been in storage for a year. A few weeks ago I went to do plenty of hard work to it, without finding a single bug in the engine bay or the Interior. And yes I got pics to back it up. Sorry, I don't store cars where roaches reside. I gotta see pics of your shit man.

zero.counter
04-25-2004, 04:07 PM
You consider a week to be old? :nuts:
Never said that did I? And no I don't. There is a big difference between 1 week to 8 weeks,

I got a car that has been in storage for a year. A few weeks ago I went to do plenty of hard work to it, without finding a single bug in the engine bay or the Interior.
*Claps* Your experience would be synonomous with a scientific experiment and the results as opposed to the control. Depending on how you look at it, it could be in your favor or not. A driveway, covered driveway, garage, and in the yard are all different.

And yes I got pics to back it up. Sorry, I don't store cars where roaches reside. I gotta see pics of your shit man.
This would go back to my last statement. I never particulary stated what I had that made my car "nasty". But rather vaguely listed some possibilities. But yeah, I will send pics of it currently with the ant problem. I don't have roaches but do have ants, spiders, and a lingering musty smell that I have yet to pinpoint. What is your e-mail? I will try sending them tomorrow...:)

Morpheus
04-25-2004, 06:09 PM
You don't want it to end up like my CRX with resident mice.