PDA

View Full Version : i have a need for speed yo'

SEiCOOLGUY
04-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Hey i need to get around 160 HP, and i don't want to do an engine swap becuase it is too expensive and troublesome, what should i do and how much should I expect to spend?

Thanks for the help ahead of time, I'm really getting frustrated with my 3g...

zero.counter
04-18-2004, 01:53 PM
I/H/E, Complete fuel system upgrade, complete ignition upgrade, regrind of the cams, some N02 maybe, lightened flywheel and pulleys, upgraded cooling system, reprogrammed ecu perhaps, etc....these are general recommendations and may not fully apply to your specific vehicle.

Other more expensive options would be:
Engine swap
Turbo Charging

SEiCOOLGUY
04-18-2004, 02:00 PM
If i put 2.25 exhaust, cold air intake, headers, and a slimline high performance fan, how much estimated horsepower should i have?

PortugalFocus
04-18-2004, 02:03 PM
i/h/e obviously......... but loose weight is always a great way to make your car faster. Many 50s and 60s Jaguar racers that raced at Le Mans and Grand Prix used stock motors and tranny's in their small racecar roadsters but their light wieght kept them ontop for quite a few years. So put the car on a diet. Port and Polish is always a great way to make more power with no more added stress on you engine. A great set of tires with help significantly, and use good products in your car. Dont' cheap out on fluids. So many are willing to $500 on a cat-back or $250 on an intake but won't go out and spend $6 on a quart of Royal Purple 5w-30.

Just do the basics and the rest will follow.

k-roy
04-18-2004, 02:17 PM
If i put 2.25 exhaust, cold air intake, headers, and a slimline high performance fan, how much estimated horsepower should i have?

You can only get one header, its a I4. But what engine do you have anyways? That would help.

zero.counter
04-18-2004, 02:28 PM
You can only get one header, its a I4. But what engine do you have anyways? That would help.
Smartass :D

ivanfbi
04-18-2004, 04:17 PM
sell an accord, get a crx with efi and you will be faster

Justin86
04-18-2004, 04:55 PM
well I would just wait to see the numbers of Openloops new engine build. There old one was making 140 at the wheels and there new one should easly out do that. AS for a goal of 160 whp that can be reached and if you were to add some N2O you can easly get there but remember you can't use the juice 24/7.

Justin86
04-18-2004, 05:16 PM
here is the link for the motor I was talking about..... http://3geez.asmallorange.com/showthread.php?t=32450&highlight=openloop

Morpheus
04-18-2004, 06:02 PM
i kno wat ya mean, 160 hp woud mak dat thing pull hard ya know.
i gots da need fo speed too man.

od2681
04-18-2004, 07:45 PM
160 hp woud mak dat thing pull hard ya know.
what the hell did you just say :confused:

AQcz
04-18-2004, 09:13 PM

lol, i'm with you on that one

shepherd79
04-19-2004, 03:12 AM
Hey i need to get around 160 HP, and i don't want to do an engine swap becuase it is too expensive and troublesome, what should i do and how much should I expect to spend?

Thanks for the help ahead of time, I'm really getting frustrated with my 3g...

if you want 160hp out of stock motor, prepare to spend at least $2000 on the motor. HP is not cheap.

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2004, 04:25 AM
yeah, the easiest way to get 160 out of a stock motor is to swap in the b20a... problem seems to be obtaining parts... at least it makes decent power without sacrificing the down-low TQ these a20's are known for around here...

one other thing to look at is Sean's GM conversion... it uses the GM electical components on your accord, and from what i've heard allows an otherwise stock engine to get up to 130 with ease, and it's tunable, and if you feel like down the road, you can go turbo with that conversion since it's designed to work with boosted engines... www.accordcentral.com is where you can get in contact with sean... get with him and work out what you need and go for it... he knows these motors probably the best out of anybody else here, so he knows what he's doin

Morpheus
04-19-2004, 12:26 PM

:uh: :rofl:
I'm not even sure but I'm sure he understood me.

SEiCOOLGUY
05-03-2004, 01:05 PM
if you want 160hp out of stock motor, prepare to spend at least $2000 on the motor. HP is not cheap.

I"ve seen an 1989 Accord with a stock motor run 13's with 370 HP. I"m willing to put all my money into this car, but B20 engine swaps are just too complicated and the parts are too hard to find and I am not patient enough to have a stock 3g long enough to find and save up the money for another 5 spd transmission and the B20 itself...i'll buy one thing at a time for my A20 stock motor to increase horsepower...

'A20A3'
05-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Whose car runs 13's with stock pistons? I don't see that happening. I know the crank and rods are tough, but your pistons and rings aren't. Explain this to me.

Justin86
05-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Whose car runs 13's with stock pistons? I don't see that happening. I know the crank and rods are tough, but your pistons and rings aren't. Explain this to me.
I belive it is called TURBO and the car........ SEAN??????? :D

But for 160hp NA I would say about $2,000 would be the price, esp if you went with the GM ECU (wish I had it) but if you want that to happen talk to Mike about the ECON motor they built, they spend 2K and it put out around 160hp at the crank and the one motor build they have going is really going to kick ass. It also depends on where you get your parts and how much you paid.

Busted_Blue
05-04-2004, 04:35 PM
wow...and openloop is in my city, i want to just go to mike and ask him if he wants to rebuild my car to those specs ^^.

Justin86
05-04-2004, 07:52 PM
wow...and openloop is in my city, i want to just go to mike and ask him if he wants to rebuild my car to those specs ^^.
Yea and I'm really interested in there new motor they are building casue what I'm doing is pretty much the same but with slightly lower C/R, but I also have a race cam, adjustable cam gear, and a 75 shot on top of it. So I want to see there nubmers casue I should be pretty much right with them. :bow:

Busted_Blue
05-04-2004, 08:48 PM
i definitely want to see numbers and prices... i am consirdering this option due to the one main reason : SMOG LEGAL!!!

SEiCOOLGUY
05-05-2004, 09:38 AM
I"m willing to spend up to $3,000 over the next few years, i'll buy new pistons,cam gears and camshafts, exhaust, intake, header(no "s"), engine management system(i know that'll be more than 3,000 but you guys get the idea)...and maybe eventually i'll try to go turbo...every single dollar i earn will go to modding this car...AND NO B20, IT'S TOO HARD TO FIND THE PARTS!

BTW, I'm gonna get my parts from KMOD

you can turbo the A20 right?

Justin86
05-05-2004, 09:55 AM
wel you don't have to get all your parts a K-Mod, there is cheaper ways.
Cam- $60
pistons/rings- $100 (not necessary)
header- $120
exhaust- $130
CAI- $100
head P&P- $10
intake P&P- $10
B16 manifold- $100-200 (haven't got all the parts yet)
head welded- $50
cam gear- $110
So for what someone would have paid up to $2000 I spend about $800 by doing stuff my self and shopping around for prices.

wprocomp
05-05-2004, 10:09 AM
yeah the nitrous route is the easiest way to go....just make sure and do it right and 160hp should be no problem

Mike's89AccordLX
05-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Alright I think this is kinda funny. Cam Gears and Camshafts? I'm sorry but if you have the stock motor and want to make it fast you have a lot to learn my friend. And I don't get why people always say it's too hard to find parts for JDM B20A motors. If you have done any research into it then you would know parts aren't that hard to get and all you have to do is look at some of Rob's threads about buying parts and you will see you can get everything you need in Japan. And you will get your stuff in about a week. How hard is that? I'm sorry, but if you think swapping in a JDM b20a would be too difficult then why the heck are you thinking of trying to go with a turbo?

Bottom Line: Lots of $$$$$$ makes horsepower. I have spent well over $3000 on my car and it's not over 160whp. I'm going to stick with this motor until it's not with us anymore and then swap in a better motor. Either do an efi swap and go turbo or swap in a jdm b20a.

-Mike

I just think you have been playing 1 too many video games :)

Busted_Blue
05-05-2004, 10:22 AM
i'm watching justin86 and his projcet and see how that goes, then i will follow if things go great :)

SEiCOOLGUY
05-05-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm sorry, but if you think swapping in a JDM b20a would be too difficult then why the heck are you thinking of trying to go with a turbo?

-Mike

I just think you have been playing 1 too many video games :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not gonna lie, I do have a lot to learn(that is what you guys are here for j/k) and I do play a lot of video games, but I don't have the money to straight up buy a B20A and all the parts to actually fit it to my car. Trust me, it would be a long time before I got the turbo and maybe then i would have all the money to go for the B20 and if i can i will. Turbo kits are alot easier to find than the B20, i mean just go to accordcentral and kmod and it is right there, but with the B20 you have to find the engine, find another 5spd tranny and all that good stuff and i don't have the money(or patience to be this slow this long) to pull of an engine swap.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-05-2004, 10:29 AM
I understand your situation b/c that is what I have been facing since I first got my car 3 years ago. I was just kidding about the playing 1 too many games, b/c I play N4SU too.

In short, don't expect too much out of this car unless you have the dough. I have never had a lot of money to spend on it at one time so I just buy stuff here and there. But I'm very happy with the cars improved performance and reliability.

-Mike

SEiCOOLGUY
05-05-2004, 10:39 AM
I understand your situation b/c that is what I have been facing since I first got my car 3 years ago. I was just kidding about the playing 1 too many games, b/c I play N4SU too.

In short, don't expect too much out of this car unless you have the dough. I have never had a lot of money to spend on it at one time so I just buy stuff here and there. But I'm very happy with the cars improved performance and reliability.

-Mike

How much have you spent on your 3g to get it to 160? not including any appearance mods.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Header: $150
Intakes: $40
Weber Carb: $350
Weber intake adapter:$65
Deltacam 272 grind: $49 (after core was returned)
Custom intake manifold: $40 (for the spare one I had to buy)
Straight pipe: $30
Catback exhaust: $160
Better muffler for the exhaust $40 on ebay for a Thrush turbo muffler.
Short shifter: $65
Lighter rims: $350 with new tires and restoring the rims.
Hoodscoop: $35 installed
Accel coil...

oh this list is going to be long here I will just link you to my garage on this site b/c there's too many mods for me to remember off hand.

http://www.3geez.com/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=841

I have spent a lot of money on this car, but I still love it!

SEiCOOLGUY
05-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Header: $150
Intakes: $40
Weber Carb: $350
Weber intake adapter:$65
Deltacam 272 grind: $49 (after core was returned)
Custom intake manifold: $40 (for the spare one I had to buy)
Straight pipe: $30
Catback exhaust: $160
Better muffler for the exhaust $40 on ebay for a Thrush turbo muffler.
Short shifter: $65
Lighter rims: $350 with new tires and restoring the rims.
Hoodscoop: $35 installed
Accel coil...

oh this list is going to be long here I will just link you to my garage on this site b/c there's too many mods for me to remember off hand.

http://www.3geez.com/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=841

I have spent a lot of money on this car, but I still love it!

What is your quarter-mile time, is in the 15's?