PDA

View Full Version : Got XM radio today :)

TJ89Accord
04-19-2004, 05:15 PM
I bought an XM tuner today, Pioneer GEX-P910XM and just finished hooking it up. I just signed up too, so now I get like 100 channels in my car :). Anyone else have it? I think Hostile has it, but I don't know anyone else. Any good channels to preset? It takes a while to scroll through all of them :cheers: . I mounted the tuner under the passenger seat, and I stuck the Fugly antenna on the trunk. That's the only thing that I don't like.

tim

DanLXI88
04-20-2004, 08:24 AM
How much does it cost a month for the service? I went MP3 HU over the XM HU. The only way I think I would have got the XM HU was if it was music on demand.

TJ89Accord
04-20-2004, 08:30 AM
IT's 10 bucks a month, and to be honest, I'm not that happy with it. It's pretty cool, but the sound quality isn't what I expected, and it's a pain haveing to sort through 100 stations lol. and it has cut out on me a few times already.

Jonessoda27
04-20-2004, 08:52 AM
XM is a waste i thnk

DanLXI88
04-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Then I would strongly suggest a MP3 player. 150+ music tracks that you pick per CD and the quality depends on you. Plus for $10.00 a month I can get a ton of blank CDs.

shepherd79
04-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Congratulations, you are now one of few hundred people who waisted their money on XM radio.
the radio is a joke. there is nothing good on it.
i like my FM stations. every morning i like to listen to somekind stupid/useless talk radio show.

Bloodlust
04-20-2004, 09:53 AM
When it becomes free, then I'll get it. Until then, I'll save my $10+ a month.

DanLXI88
04-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Congratulations, you are now one of few hundred people who waisted their money on XM radio.
the radio is a joke. there is nothing good on it.
i like my FM stations. every morning i like to listen to somekind stupid/useless talk radio show.

:bow: HOWARD STERN!! :rockon:

shepherd79
04-20-2004, 11:24 AM
DC101 Eliot in the morning or Howard Stern.

Busted_Blue
04-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Or just listen to CDs..

HostileJava
04-20-2004, 11:50 AM
I have FM, AM, MP3, CD and XM. And you know what, all I ever listen to is XM, I use it for weather, news, and stations 7-9, 20, and 21. It may not be for everyone, I know alot of you can't afford it. But for me spending as much time in the car as I do(75-100miles/day), it is money well spent. Plus they are adding channels everyweek and went commerial free on all there music channels. I especially liked the fact that when we took our trip up to canada I never lost signal and I didn't have to find new stations to listen to. :tongue:

Volitech
04-20-2004, 12:49 PM
I have the serius satalite radio in my car I've had for about a year now and I'm very happy with it! I never have problems with it cutting out and the sound quality is great, Better than most cd's I play!

HostileJava
04-21-2004, 05:59 AM
I have the serius satalite radio in my car I've had for about a year now and I'm very happy with it! I never have problems with it cutting out and the sound quality is great, Better than most cd's I play!

While I can't imagine how it would be better then CD's unless your making them from low quality MP3's it is of much higher quality then XM, you'll get more highs and the lows will be much fuller. Simply because there is more bandwidth available to transmit more audio information.

Volitech
04-21-2004, 07:22 AM
While I can't imagine how it would be better then CD's unless your making them from low quality MP3's it is of much higher quality then XM, you'll get more highs and the lows will be much fuller. Simply because there is more bandwidth available to transmit more audio information.

If you heard it you would know what I mean! The digital quality is just as good if not better than most cd's you would buy in the store not all but most.

86LXi|JustONE
04-21-2004, 08:18 AM
i hear xm radio sucks...never really caught my taste i always wanted a mp3/cd HU....those are sexy and its all up to you on what you listen to....and besides cds dont cut out on you or cost 10$ a month to maintain...i suggest you return it ;)

TJ89Accord
04-21-2004, 05:23 PM
It's startin to grow on me, and if I ever get sick of it, Ill just sell it :). 10 bucks a month does not bother me at all. I figure, people spend that more a week on ciggerettes, and I dont smoke :).

tim

HostileJava
04-21-2004, 07:14 PM
If you heard it you would know what I mean! The digital quality is just as good if not better than most cd's you would buy in the store not all but most.

Oh I've heard it, and I know for a fact now that Sirius uses variable bit rate encoding that tops out at 256k/sec which IS less then CD quality.

86LXi|JustONE
04-22-2004, 11:14 PM
cd quality is 320k....256k is damn near close considering the radio stations are 128k-96k....320k and 256k are virtually identical the only way you can tell the difference is with the music all the way up with bose speakers you can hear a slight hum....

i used to be in the music/recording industry i know this shit...

86LXi|JustONE
04-22-2004, 11:16 PM
cd quality is 320k....256k is damn near close considering the radio stations are 128k-96k....320k and 256k are virtually identical the only way you can tell the difference is with the music all the way up with monitors you can hear a slight hum....other wise the untrained ear will hear what its supposed to and it will sound fantastic at 256k.

i used to be in the music/recording industry i know this shit...

accordlx
04-23-2004, 12:23 AM
I thought that XM was a joke and stupid until I took a road trip in a car that had it. I was dead wrong about XM. It is most likely one of the most underrated services in music today. I am an avid listener of Jazz and there are virtually no outlets anywhere in the US that play traditional jazz. I heard more good jazz on XM in 2 hours than I have heard in 2 months on our part time jazz broadcast FM station in Cincinnati which only plays smooth jazz. FM broadcast radio IMHO is an idea as outdated as the RIAA which forces heavy airplay rotations of Britney Spears and other garbage I would rather not hear.

Don't get me wrong, I have a CD player in my car but for less than the price of 1 new CD a month, I can get a tremendous variety of music I would never hear. I have nearly 4000 CD's, records, tapes, & MP3's but I still hear stuff I have never heard from obscure artists on XM.

If you listen to the top 40 stuff that Clear Channel Communications plays, XM isn't for you. If you like variety and great sounding digital music, XM is just the ticket.

Volitech
04-23-2004, 05:00 AM
I thought that XM was a joke and stupid until I took a road trip in a car that had it. I was dead wrong about XM. It is most likely one of the most underrated services in music today. I am an avid listener of Jazz and there are virtually no outlets anywhere in the US that play traditional jazz. I heard more good jazz on XM in 2 hours than I have heard in 2 months on our part time jazz broadcast FM station in Cincinnati which only plays smooth jazz. FM broadcast radio IMHO is an idea as outdated as the RIAA which forces heavy airplay rotations of Britney Spears and other garbage I would rather not hear.

Don't get me wrong, I have a CD player in my car but for less than the price of 1 new CD a month, I can get a tremendous variety of music I would never hear. I have nearly 4000 CD's, records, tapes, & MP3's but I still hear stuff I have never heard from obscure artists on XM.

If you listen to the top 40 stuff that Clear Channel Communications plays, XM isn't for you. If you like variety and great sounding digital music, XM is just the ticket.

I couldn't have put it better myself!

TWOLOUDNPROUD
04-23-2004, 05:46 AM
Whats nice about XM that when it free Im a XM Dealer so for me it's FREE :cheers:

HostileJava
04-23-2004, 06:35 AM
I couldn't have put it better myself!

I toast to that :cheers:

And also say that I can def hear the difference between 256 and 320 in my car, the difference in the highs are not as discernable at lower volumes as they are at high, but my bass is 10x better with 320.

HondaBoy
04-23-2004, 10:30 PM
hey, i've seen a few people's cars that have XM radio and they have that ugly antenna on the trunk. i'd thought if it can mount there, can it mount like on the inside of the rear glass like at the top? dont know if it would work. like i thought if you have tint or you could black out a small part of the top of the glass and put it up there. maybe get a good signal? :dunno: but my '02 accord has the antenna up at the top of the rear glass.