PDA

View Full Version : AC Question

paynt3r
04-20-2004, 06:53 AM
Please don't reply with "Just loose the AC System". :gun:
Problem is that when I turn on the AC, after about a minuite the battery light comes on. If I keep driving, after about 15 minutes the car dies. At this point I have to charge the battery to start the car again. If I turn the AC off after the light goes on, about 2-5 minutes the light goes off and the car keeps running. I have already replaced the battery / cables / alternator. So my next guess would be that there is something wrong with either the compressor or compressor clutch.

Any Ideas, I really miss the AC. :angry:

shepherd79
04-20-2004, 06:59 AM
when you turn your AC, does your engine turn slower, like it has big ass load.
it could be your AC clutch or pump.

paynt3r
04-20-2004, 07:10 AM
well, I have never tested it when parked, only doing 80 down the highway with the stereo blasting. So I just went outside and checked it. I didn't really notice the motor bog down badly, but did notice quite a "wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound that was constant when I hit the AC Switch. I don't know if this is a odd sound or not, I will have to check a friend of mines car this afternoon.

prozacposterboy
04-20-2004, 07:42 PM
my car does the same... is it a klien or ND compressor? I think your ac clutch is going out or at least a bearing in it..

P.

paynt3r
04-21-2004, 08:39 AM
OK, so yesterday when I was testing to see if my motor lags real hard when the AC is on, I forgot and left the AC button pressed in. So on my way home, I smell this kinda rubber burning smell. That is when I realized that I left the AC on. Once I turnd the AC off, the burning smell went away. The car seems to run fine if I dont turn the AC on, so I would assume that the issue is with the compressor, and not the clutch. I notice that most places sell them as a whole unit (Compressor and Clutch pulley), So if anyone happens to have an extra Keihin AC compressor that they took off of their car to save power and wight, I am in dire need.