PDA

View Full Version : idling prolem?

igell
04-20-2004, 10:20 AM
when car is in gear but stading still, it shudders pretty hard.. as soon as you put in park or start driving it stopps shuddering. It seems like its a really rough iddle problem.. it's a constant shudder. It's not irratic at all .. it's constant.

88 accord LX AT

Rex
04-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Mine has the same problem.... it is really smooth when in anything besides d4/d3... 2nd is smooth too, as well as reverse... it would be nice to know why is is rough in only d3/4.

NXRacer
04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
how low is it idling? could be your idle is too set to low or your idle air controller is bad. check your ECU for codes and see if a sensor is throwing a code.

Rex
04-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Well, there are no codes, and the idle is at ~800... so I think that the idle is fine.... the thing that confuses me is it only does it in d3/4, and not 2....

k-roy
04-20-2004, 01:24 PM
It could be the tranny or engine mounts. Its kinda hard to tell if I don't see the car in person. It could be vacuum leak somewhere. Check over all the little hoses and make sure they are all connected and in good shape. Other than that checkout the fuel, ignition, pcv and egr systems. Or it could be as simple as the carb needs cleaned. Has your car had a tuneup lately?

Rex
04-20-2004, 02:01 PM
its efi, and it has had a tune-up in the last month.... i am positive that the fuel, ignition, and pcv are good, but i am not sure about the egr.... is there any reason for when in is in 2 that is doesnt do it? also, would the egr affect gas milage, as i really dunno what the egr all affects.. thanks

-Matt

A20A1
04-20-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm going for tune up and possible vacum leak... have you checked the PCV valve?

igell
04-20-2004, 07:33 PM
same here... the idle is at around a 1000, so not too low.
i am geting no codes.
where exactly is the pcv valve on hondas?

A20A1
04-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Carbs don't give codes... anyways the valve is between the aircleaner and the valve cover. you should see a hose that looks like an upsidedown "U" ... I guess that could be an "n" too. lol anyways on one of the ends is the PCV valve... I think the location of the PCV valve is also in the how-to section or in the fequently asked question section, if those are still on the board.