PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fans turn on temperature

valerit1
04-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi,

My cooling fans turn on when my temp is 2/3 from the
bottom after some stop and go driving - is this normal? It looks high to me. It also takes a while to drop it from there. Regularly it runs just below the center. My coolant, thermostat, cap are all new. It is sunny, about 75F now. I run 50/50 mixture. A/C is off.
Thanks,

Val

Volitech
04-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi,

My cooling fans turn on when my temp is 2/3 from the
bottom after some stop and go driving - is this normal? It looks high to me. It also takes a while to drop it from there. Regularly it runs just below the center. My coolant, thermostat, cap are all new. It is sunny, about 75F now. I run 50/50 mixture. A/C is off.
Thanks,

Val

You may need to replace your radiator soon. mine was doing the same thing because there was so much crap built up in their it wouldn't cool right...

Vinny
04-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Mine used to come on constantly around 1/2 way or so. Neither car ever got much above that. Since I've changed out the radiator the fan has yet to come on and the temps never gone above half way. Keep in mind I'm in S Ga and its already been in the 90's here this year. You may want to try and flush your radiator. You may have a buiuldup of sludge and crap on the bottom. Also the temp sending unit for the fan may be covered in sludge or on its way out

A20A1
04-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah you might need a system flush, did you bleed the coolant system to get rid of the air pockets?

valerit1
04-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Well, I removed the sensor from the radiator, cleaned and tested it - all OK. Flushed the radiator. Reduced the
the % of coolant to 30% and added the Water Wetter
in attempt to increase heat transfer. Still no effect! :dunno: If the radiator were old and clogged,
the fans would do the opposite - come up sooner as
the sensor would be hit by hotter water. Once they turn
on, they cool quick (in fact, in very short burst), so the rad works. But they do not work untill the temp climbes
very high - why? :dunno: Looks like the when it is
hot enough in the bottom of the rad, it is over the top
in the thermostat housing where the gauge sensor is.
My water pump is new (3 weeks old - and it was doing
it before replacement!) When my A/C is on and the fans
run continuously - the car is cool like a cucumber (in fact,
somewhat too cool) all the time!!!. I am puzzled. :dunno: :dunno: :werd:

Val