PDA

View Full Version : New Throttle Body.

mag_pbg
04-21-2004, 06:57 PM
About a week ago I purchased a Throttle body from a local Junkyard for a whole $20 abd began boring it out. I started with like 220 grit sand paper, which just wasn't cutting it so I went to a sanding drum on a 12v drill after I got pretty close to the size I wanted I took 350 grit sandpaper took out all the cuts, then went to 220 and got all the cuts out. Putting it on wasnt that bad but still a pain in the ass, but I got it on and relized that there was a difference between a manual and a automatic throttle body, well where the throttle cable hooked up. I bought a manual and I had a automacit so I switched out the springs and everything got it all hooked up and the idle was at around 3k. So I set the idle screw all the way in and that helped a little, but after a couple of hours the idel just drop, so I had to reset it, and now it runs fine. I will say this is a very cheap and easy mod to do and the rewards are deffently worth the couple of hours to do it. I bored the front out to 65 mm and the rear to 61 mm. I did it in steps so I wouldn't have to get a different butterfly valve. As for my old one Im having a freind take it with him to Votech to be bored out to 68 mm with a acually bore machine. I plan on going back to the junkyard and getting a new air intake manifold to port match, that way if I screw something up I still have one good piece left.

shepherd79
04-21-2004, 07:08 PM
it is been done. what you did is created larger ventury. it sucks air a lot more since you opened up the front and back. carburators use the same idea.
how much would it cost for bore out the TB to 68mm?

mag_pbg
04-22-2004, 07:01 AM
It would be free to have it bored out, since a freind is doing it for a class project.

1988starter
04-22-2004, 08:09 AM
I would like to know what 3geez TH you are using that you can get to 68 mm because every one I have sceen is less than 68 mm outside diameter

mag_pbg
04-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Ok so maybe not 68mm. prob. 65 or 66mm. But it will prob. look alot better than my home bore.

1988starter
04-22-2004, 02:55 PM
try 62 MAYBE 63 only if you have an 88 or 89 less for 86 or 87

mag_pbg
04-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I guess I picked up a 88 or 89 throttle body, becuase I measerd the inside diamiter with a micrometer, and it read 65mm. It may be to big, but it is running fine and has been for almost a month now.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
04-22-2004, 07:18 PM
it is been done. what you did is created larger ventury. it sucks air a lot more since you opened up the front and back. carburators use the same idea.
how much would it cost for bore out the TB to 68mm?
it cost like $165 to bore it out that with a new Butterfly

mag_pbg
04-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Hey everybody, I got my TB back today, it only took my freind about 2 days to bore it out, and to make a all new butterfly valve. He also retapped all the holes, and installed new bolts and screws on it. I havn't put it on yet becuase it is still raining, I will get yout he specs here pretty soon.