View Full Version : need advice on wheel/tire selection

doug
04-22-2004, 05:24 AM
within the next 2 months I hope to install
Kosei K1 Racing Silver Painted Size Selected: 16x7.5
Recommended Tire Size: 205/45-16
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (Ultra High Performance Summer) Sidewall Style:
WR Speed Rated

My hatch is slightly lowered, maybe 3/4 of an inch, will this wheel/tire size fit and bring proper no rub performance to the car? Once installed my hope is to bring iti down maybe another 1/2 inch. Thanks for any advice. I'm clueless on if this combo will work with no problems.

shepherd79
04-22-2004, 05:32 AM
Kumho tires suck big times.
go with something else.

Vinny
04-22-2004, 06:35 AM
Everything you want toknow can be found HERE (http://3geez.asmallorange.com/showthread.php?t=31782)

As far as I know changing the tires and wheels out will not lower your car is you use an equivalent tire size. If the tire size is going to be close to the same height as stock the sidewall will be lower because the rim is bigger. It will look like it fills better, but its kind of an optical illusion. My gap is almost the same with 17's as it was with 14's. If I'm wrong here someone please correct me

NXRacer
04-22-2004, 09:49 AM
why exactly do kumhos suck? I have a friend who's got em and swears by them. i've never personally used them, but i've never heard exactly why they suck.

Doug, if you do get those K1's, take pictures of em. I was looking into those same ones for my hatch. I think they look sick.

Justin86
04-22-2004, 10:43 AM
No caleb I was looking at them for my car, but I want to get 225/50/16 tires. AS for Kumho tires I'am done buying their stuff, I was VERY unhappy with their 711's.

NXRacer
04-22-2004, 10:57 AM
heh heh i have another friend who likes them. i remember you saying they were crap, but i wasnt sure why.

Justin86
04-22-2004, 11:09 AM
yea I was a little pissed by how easy they blew out after about 15K

doug
04-23-2004, 09:21 PM
shep, the standard size Kumho on my car have 40 grand on them and still show half the tread, I especially like that they show no excessive wear on the outside despite hard cornering type driving I've put on them since owning the car (30,000miles) Of course that really means shit if the compund they use on the performance tire is softer. What brands would you suggest I look at.?
Vinny, thanks for the link. I was really curious about the 16x7.5 size as I usually see just 15x7, 16x7, 17x7 etc. What offset am I really to be looking for, 40mm, 42mm?
If it comes just in 40mm then it don't matter. I guess tirerack knows the deal anyway.
I did not think the tires/wheels would lower it, I've got coilovers, I'm just not gonna bring it down anymore until I get the new tire/wheel setup in place.
NXRacer, I'm looking at June or July, and I'll have some pictures up for sure. Thanks to all others for the coments

shepherd79
04-24-2004, 03:38 AM
when i had my first car i got brand new kumho tires. i was so happy and i thought i got a good deal. they had nice tire pattern and the price was nice too. well, i was happy untill the first rain. those SOB didn't hold at all. i had to take turns at 20mhp. that is stupid. So i said, ok, i will deal with that. it is not a problem. So i figured i would wait till they wear out and i get a better set. well i didn't have to wait long before they wore out. i put 30K in one year on them and they were gone. my alignment was fine, there was nothing wrong with a car.
So i said screw Kumho i am going to get better tires. I got Bridgestone. they are a little more, but damn what a diff. I too exact the same turn in the rain at 45 mph without loosing grip. after 60K on the tires, they don't even show any wear.
i would say look for something better. Since you are going with performance tires they all have soft tire compounds. they will wear out a lot faster than regular tires.
look at known brand names: Nitto, Bridgestone, BFgoodridge, Toyo, Yokohama, Dunlop, and more.
i know some tires can get expensive, but if you pay $50-75 for a perfomance tire and they wear out in 1 year (very common, since they have soft compunt), you may as well go with cheap brand.

Justin86
04-24-2004, 08:47 AM
when i had my first car i got brand new kumho tires. i was so happy and i thought i got a good deal. they had nice tire pattern and the price was nice too. well, i was happy untill the first rain. those SOB didn't hold at all. i had to take turns at 20mhp. that is stupid. So i said, ok, i will deal with that. it is not a problem. So i figured i would wait till they wear out and i get a better set. well i didn't have to wait long before they wore out. i put 30K in one year on them and they were gone. my alignment was fine, there was nothing wrong with a car.
So i said screw Kumho i am going to get better tires. I got Bridgestone. they are a little more, but damn what a diff. I too exact the same turn in the rain at 45 mph without loosing grip. after 60K on the tires, they don't even show any wear.
i would say look for something better. Since you are going with performance tires they all have soft tire compounds. they will wear out a lot faster than regular tires.
look at known brand names: Nitto, Bridgestone, BFgoodridge, Toyo, Yokohama, Dunlop, and more.
i know some tires can get expensive, but if you pay $50-75 for a perfomance tire and they wear out in 1 year (very common, since they have soft compunt), you may as well go with cheap brand.

Yea that was the same with my Kumho's I like them until it got wet. :sadwave: I'm glad I blew one out casue my new tires grip like a mo-fo wet and dry. :D

MattsAccord
04-24-2004, 11:36 AM
I like my Kumho tires alot. Wet dry is dosen't matter, but don't use them in the snow.

Heres what I had. Well still have got 2 more last month.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+Supra+712

Justin86
04-24-2004, 09:50 PM
yea your 712's are not that bad but, NEVER get the 711's they suck big hair balls!

doug
04-24-2004, 10:07 PM
just for the record the khumo's on my car now are the 771 standard passenger car tires and they are good as far as wear goes. although thinking about it they do tend to lose grip when the roads are wet but I always thought that was standard for any tire. I mean, I do have to slow it down on the curves I can normally take at decent speeds.

ag bullet
04-25-2004, 08:46 AM
At work I have fewer complaints on the 711s compared to the 712s. However, the 712s are being phased out and replaced by the ASX. This is an asymetrical tire and it has a 420 treadwear rating. The 712s were 280. So this tire will last close to twice as long. If you are in the market, many places will be unloading the 712s to get them out of inventory or you can get the new ASXs which I feel is a superior tire to the 712.