PDA

View Full Version : primer 3g?

i.c.
04-22-2004, 01:48 PM
i want to paint my car primer black with a clear coat cause my oem paint is wicked f'ed up.....

anybody got any suggestions on a good way to do this (like real help, don't say go to a body shop)

i want to try to do this at home since i'm going to collage next year for collision repair/street rod fab.

also where can i get some primer paint?????

NXRacer
04-22-2004, 02:16 PM
my buddy primered his car in his own shop. He just did it section by section. Get yourself some sandpaper and a few cants of primer and your ready to go. Make sure you do it in an enclosed place so you dont get too much dust and shit all over the wet paint. Start out with a fender or something and tape the rest off and practice spraying with a rattle can. Practice enough and you'll make it look good.

i.c.
04-22-2004, 02:17 PM
do i need to sand all the oem paint offor just so its smooth?

k-roy
04-22-2004, 02:25 PM
You don't need to sand it all off, just any loose ar cracked looking parts. Use 600 grit wet paper and wetsand the bitch. You should be able to sand it down in 2-3 hours.

NXRacer
04-22-2004, 02:27 PM
you need to sand the clear coat and OEM paint so it gives the primer something to stick to. You wanna make sure you take off an even amount from the entire area so the depth of the original paint is uniform. Its better to start out with a rough paper (like 200 grit i believe) and once you get a good amount of the original paint off, go back over it with like 400 to smooth it out. Im not a pro when it comes to painting so you might want to get some advice from somebody who's had more expierience then me.

NXRacer
04-22-2004, 02:29 PM
you dont need to wet sand it to prep the paint. you only do it when you're sanding the first couple coats of the color. . . . right?

i.c.
04-22-2004, 02:55 PM
that doesn't seem too bad.....

so list of materials is

200 grit 400 grit and 600 grit sandpaper, primer and clear coat, correct?

NXRacer
04-22-2004, 02:58 PM
you could probably do w/out the 200 grit. 400 will do ya good to start out then 600 to finish.

k-roy
04-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Wetsanding makes it a lot easier to get the old paint off evenly. I recommomend a rubber sanding block that holds the paper and a sponge. Keep the block wet and constantly squeeze the sponge where you are sanding, it helps keep it uniform. It also makes a mess of the driveway or garage. I would rather wetsand with a mess on the ground than breathe in dry paint dust from the air. Just my 2 cents

:pc:

i.c.
04-22-2004, 03:02 PM
ok.....so all the oem paint has to come off??

HostileJava
04-22-2004, 03:24 PM
ok.....so all the oem paint has to come off??

No it doesn't have to come off, it's better if you get it all off, but primer that biatch fast if you strip it down to bare metal. The idea is to just rough it up to give the new primer somthing to stick to.

hondamanlxi
04-22-2004, 05:18 PM
just sand with 100g and then 220g! thats what i did and mine came out smooth!

the idea is to get most of the clear off and have it be smooth and CLEAN!

ps: contrary to what you may hear, their is no reason to hand-sand a car! Use pwr tools and touch it up by hand! run your hand over the whole car to make sure its smooth and clean!

any q's? pm me

customandsound
04-22-2004, 06:07 PM
if you take it to bare you need self etching primer .... i use a da sander with 320 and prime ...