PDA

View Full Version : Starting Noise

89LxiAg
04-22-2004, 02:19 PM
For the past few weeks my car has been making a funny sound whenever I start it. After the car has set overnight, I get in and start it and hear this very distinct knocking/tapping/rattling sound coming from the engine bay. Soon after the car is started though, the sound goes away and will not come again until the car has set for a few hours. I'm thinking I have some valve knock due to lack of oil (though I'm not low on oil ever!) or something similar because there is nothing else loose under my hood. I've even propped the hood open and started it to see if that made a difference, but I got the same noise for about 2-3 seconds then no noise. Has anyone had a similar problem? I'm not against a valve lash adjustment, but I'm just curious what other things it might be before I tear into that job. Thanks

86LXItooFAST4me
04-23-2004, 07:44 AM
I would check my starter if it was me and while I had it off I would check out the ring gear around the flywheel, but first I would pull the valve cover and check the valve gapping.
:bong:

skippy344
07-05-2004, 08:25 AM
Dude, you may have a rod knocking. I just rebuilt my Integra VTEC because I spun a crank bearing. It sounds like a low end knocking when you first start up. Mine knocked all the time, because the rod was damaged.

My '88 Accord LXi has the same knocking sound when I first start up in the morning. I am gonna pull the engine, to replace the clutch and timing belt. I will check the rods and see if they are damaged.

Moodybluesr
07-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Valve clearances every 15,000 miles.

'Nuf said