PDA

View Full Version : regrind with a carb?

87accordlx
07-14-2002, 07:44 PM
hi guys:
i am serously considering getting my camshaft reground with a mild grind, and i have a few questions first
1) anyone that has a mild grind on a carbed engine, can u tell me if there was a noticable increase in power?
2) is it just a plug and play deal, pull the old one, put the new one in kind of thing or does anything else need to be done to accomidate the new cam
3) this would be my first engine mod, is it a good idea to put a reground cam in a stock engine?

thanks guys, this board has been great

scott

Sabz5150
07-15-2002, 05:54 AM
Well, it's not exactly 'plug-and-play', but it's close.

You'll have to readjust your valve clearances for the new cam. It's a time consuming process, but not all that hard. If you can swap the cam yourself, you can adjust the clearances.

I'll have to write a howto on cam swapping. I did it in approximately an hour.

-5150 :bandit:

87accordlx
07-15-2002, 08:10 AM
thanks sabz, does the place that regrinds the cam tell you your new valve clearences?, i am also interested in an answer the my 3rd question, any input would be great

thanks again
scott

YK86
07-15-2002, 10:19 AM
The valve clearances need to be set to the stock guildline numbers so you don't need to get any new numbers . 0.005-0.007 for the intake and 0.10-0.12 for the exaust. I would also look into getting a new cam seal.
I highly reccommend this mod for stock and modded cars. A modded car will make the most of it but a stock one will still see gains.

Sabz5150
07-15-2002, 12:06 PM
.010 to .012 for exhaust? My exhaust is set to .008, and intake set to .006... Must be dependant on the cam.

-5150 :bandit:

YK86
07-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Those are the official specs. Actually, almost all Hondas seem to go by those specs. Mine's set to .006 and .009 so the exhaust is tightener than specs but it was slapping still at .010 so it does depend on the cam.

CoAsTeR
07-15-2002, 04:49 PM
well when you're ready to do your cam, I'll give you a hand pullin' a core at the scrap yard and help you install the re-grind into the car when you get it back. I'd like to see how its done and 'practice' :D on your car first :flip: Besides... it'll be fun!! :werd:

87accordlx
07-15-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by CoAsTeR
well when you're ready to do your cam, I'll give you a hand pullin' a core at the scrap yard and help you install the re-grind into the car when you get it back. I'd like to see how its done and 'practice' :D on your car first :flip: Besides... it'll be fun!! :werd:

deal

rallyeNate
07-16-2002, 08:33 AM
i have a very mild cam grind 200/216(@0.050), that 10degrees more then stock. really dont notice much unless i am down shifting to pick the revs up. like everyone is saying YOU MUST HAVE YOUR VALVES ADJUSTED PROPERLLY. if they are to tight you will float your valves, to loose and you will beat your cam to sh*t. you might think about retunning your card, the new cam will drink more fuel. dont send your cam to crower the guy who runs the import dept. has his head shoved in his a*s. i would go to colt or openloop and get a 210/216(@0.050 lobe lift) with 0.350 lift. that should good for a desent increase in power while not eating to much of your MPG, and ta boot you will have -7 degrees of overlap so you get to keep your power brakes which is always a bonus

87accordlx
07-16-2002, 11:20 AM
ummm when i was talking to yasu he said hie MPG went up and he got a decent power kick all throught the rev range, and a big kick after 3000. and how does the camshaft affect the power brakes?

rocky2
07-16-2002, 05:42 PM
Instead of a cam if you don't already have a header go with a header for the money and time its better then a cam for more horses.

87accordlx
07-16-2002, 06:47 PM
in order to get any decent power out of a header i have to upgrade the whole exhaust system, that is not in the budjet right now

rallyeNate
07-17-2002, 08:35 PM
you will never get the amount of power out of a header that you can get from a cam.

THE LOSE OF POWER BRAKES FROM CAM- when you start changing the profile of the cam to a more race or higher performance profile the VALVE OVERLAP becomes closer and you lose vaccum. the power brake booster runs of the vaccum of the engine.

YK86
07-17-2002, 09:16 PM
I would say that my cam gave me a bigger smile right after installing and drivng it than the header BUT they are very close in increases. It's tough to compare since I never compared each mod to a stock version of the car. Both header and cam gave me better MPG and more power. No problems with braking power.